I'm more afraid of the content that is so accessible to them on the Internet. They're going to find it if they want to regardless. I try really hard to have an open and honest relationship with my kids. That way, they feel comfortable talking to me about things they see .... and thusfar, they have. as for their phones, they stay in our rooms at night and we must have passcodes at all times or they lose their devices.
    Sherry_B, libra89 and MizJ1987 like this.
    03-21-2016 06:02 PM
    As a parent myself, I would like to recommend the Life 360 app. When i bought my kids their first smartphones we used it as a family. There is a check-in feature and an emergency "i'm in trouble!" feature. It will also list on the map where the hospitals, fire departments, and police departments are. I think one of the more important features for me as a parent was that it shows where convicted pedophiles are on the map in the app. There is also a built in family group chat.

If you join as a family and everyone installs the app, the GPS on your phones will tell you where each family member is on the map (location history is included so you can see where they've been). My kids new better than to try and be cheeky by turning off the GPS..... they only lost their phones for a week one time.

If anything else, Life 360 is a great reason for anyone, regardless of age, to have a smartphone.
    My daughter got me started on Life 360. It eats battery big time. Location services has to be on 24/7.
    libra89 likes this.
    03-21-2016 07:18 PM
    My daughter got me started on Life 360. It eats battery big time. Location services has to be on 24/7.
    Odd. I've never found it to eat that much of my battery, even on my Android phones. Facebook eats more battery than Life360, in my personal experience. At this time (since we no longer have kids in the house) my fiance' isn't traveling for work so I have it uninstalled. But while it was installed I noticed no significant drain on my iPhone. He has it installed all the time (on his Android) and his battery lasts all day.
    03-21-2016 07:36 PM
    Oddly it is cheaper with AT&T to have a smartphone line. I gave my 10 year old an old 4S and then I disabled safari so she can't go online. Through an app on my phone I have data turned off for her, but can easily turn it on if we are traveling
    nikkisharif likes this.
    03-21-2016 07:46 PM
    Odd. I've never found it to eat that much of my battery, even on my Android phones. Facebook eats more battery than Life360, in my personal experience. At this time (since we no longer have kids in the house) my fiance' isn't traveling for work so I have it uninstalled. But while it was installed I noticed no significant drain on my iPhone. He has it installed all the time (on his Android) and his battery lasts all day.
    Well, I assumed it did because location stayed on. Maybe not.
    03-21-2016 08:18 PM
    Well, I assumed it did because location stayed on. Maybe not.

It very well may have for you though. Everyone's setup is different, so some will have different experiences.
    03-21-2016 08:23 PM
    I'm a parent. My son does not have a smart phone, lol. No matter how you justify it no child NEEDS a smartphone. If you want to get them one that's awesome but let's not pretend they NEED it.
    Mine do & to each their own. I'm away from home traveling for work and being able to FaceTime them is a necessity for me. When I wasn't able to make sporting events or award ceremonies, they were able to have their friends video it & send it or FaceTime me so it was like I'm there. Carrying a laptop or tablet around for those purposes is a bit much. Also there's a thing in settings called restrictions. If there are things you don't want your child doing with a smartphone then restrict it. Plus I'm a nurse in Healthcare Informatics and my kids are techies just like me. A Production Engineer, Biomedical Engineer, & a Nurse Anesthetist (what my children are studying) all need technology to perform their jobs. Again to each their own. We all have varying opinions of what necessities are.

Now referring to the OP, I think the SE is a perfect size for younger kids & a great alternative to the 6s.
    Just_Me_D, libra89 and Sherry_B like this.
    03-21-2016 08:54 PM
    It very well may have for you though. Everyone's setup is different, so some will have different experiences.
    That app only has one setting for location. Always.
    Sherry_B likes this.
    03-21-2016 09:46 PM
    That app only has one setting for location. Always.

Yeah. It can be annoying.
    03-21-2016 10:08 PM
    Mine do & to each their own. I'm away from home traveling for work and being able to FaceTime them is a necessity for me. When I wasn't able to make sporting events or award ceremonies, they were able to have their friends video it & send it or FaceTime me so it was like I'm there. Carrying a laptop or tablet around for those purposes is a bit much. Also there's a thing in settings called restrictions. If there are things you don't want your child doing with a smartphone then restrict it. Plus I'm a nurse in Healthcare Informatics and my kids are techies just like me. A Production Engineer, Biomedical Engineer, & a Nurse Anesthetist (what my children are studying) all need technology to perform their jobs. Again to each their own. We all have varying opinions of what necessities are.

Now referring to the OP, I think the SE is a perfect size for younger kids & a great alternative to the 6s.
    I feel you're all blurring the definitions of "need" and "want". But like you said, "to each their own".
    03-22-2016 09:41 AM
    I feel you're all blurring the definitions of "need" and "want". But like you said, "to each their own".
    Nope we're not. Each person has their own definition of need. No one here is speaking of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, we're talking about personal opinions.
    Sherry_B and firedept10 like this.
    03-22-2016 10:05 AM
    Nope we're not. Each person has their own definition of need. No one here is speaking of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, we're talking about personal opinions.
    Ehhhh ok. Out of respect of this thread I'll drop it. I will respectfully disagree what's being said.
    03-22-2016 10:51 AM
    Ehhhh ok. Out of respect of this thread I'll drop it. I will respectfully disagree what's being said.
    Lol...agree to disagree
    03-22-2016 10:51 AM
    Lol...agree to disagree
    03-22-2016 10:57 AM
    We are an all iphone family at this point. I will be ordering 2 of the iPhone SEs as soon as they are announced assuming they are fairly close to what is expected. About the 5's size but with the 6's specs and smoother lines - and really hoping its starts at 449 but can live with 499.

I think people are missing one really useful aspect of this new line - kids generally have smaller hands which makes the form factor of the 5 better than the larger 6 (or my 6s plus). I've had 2 old 5 phones for my kids that they use which need replacing due to the batteries at this point not holding much of a charge beyond a day. I like the idea of a new phone which doesn't cost as much, hoping they can get a step up to 64mb storage for maybe 449, plus 100 for the upgraded memory. I've got to add another line for another kid coming of age (who gets stuck with a hand me down 5), so am also hoping that ATT continues its 2 for 1 deal when you add a line which would be even better.

Bottom line - a less expensive smaller phone makes sense for many people, and for kids, the option of a smaller footprint and a lower price point so I can be slightly less upset when they drop or lose it, has a lot of appeal.
    Why would you trust a child with a $400 phone?
    03-22-2016 07:58 PM
    I can't agree with you more. My boys both have the 5s and this will most likely be the next phone I buy them.

Obviously you are not a parent. My boys have had iPhones since they were 12 years old. Why do they need smartphones? Well it has allowed me as a parent to stay in contact with my children. I like to know where my children are. If you are a parent then you would understand the concerns of parent in today's world. I trust my children exclusively, but being able to message and send things back and forth has been great. My parents were not given this opportunity as the technology was not there when I was a kid. Shame because they missed out on some things when I was growing up.
    I'm a parent and there are less expensive phones that are tougher. But it's your kid, do what you want.....
    03-22-2016 07:59 PM
    My kids get kind of lucky because I buy a lot of phones and they get a lot of hand me downs. My daughter who's 12 just got her hands on my iPhone six and my eight year old son just traded in his iPhone 5c for a 6s so I could get an SE instead. We may not all think that kids need cellphones but it also depends on the kids. My kids have rules and they follow them. They don't behave they lose things. They don't take them to school but they're here if they go to a friends house. And they take care of them because if they don't they become mine. My kids get rewarded for good parent conference, doing their chores and being awesome kids. A kids personality really makes a difference I to what kind of phone they can have. And when they get older and have jobs they can afford to pay for them themselves.
    We live in a very technology related household, they each have their own iPads plus each has an iPad from school.
    We monitor them and let them know what's appropriate and what isn't. They play outside, do their homework, and spend time without their video games. And they don't act like spoiled monsters.
    I'm a responsible parent raising (so far) responsible kids. If that changes our rules will change.
    03-24-2016 09:07 PM
    Because some kids are responsible and mature enough to handle it. It's up to the parent to make that decision.
    03-25-2016 12:41 PM
    Well, as much as I respect all the different views on this board, and appreciate that some people do not believe an expensive phone or any smart phone is appropriate, I'm in the camp that does give a child a phone like this with all the appropriate restrictions and rules I can apply. Not saying anyone else is wrong - but as others have stated, the benefits that it entails work for me.

However, after seeing the SE that was announced, and taking a look at ATT pricing on it as opposed to their Buy One Get One Free offer on an iPhone 6s, I think I have to go that route. You get 2 6s for the price of one, so its 650 vs 800 for 2 SEs. I appreciate the size factor of the SE and still think its a great kids phone. But for effectively 75 less per phone, you get a bigger, and arguably more advanced phone. Seems like a better deal even with all the strings attached to that offer. I just have to get a big thick Otterbox case for it I guess, but that seems like the best alternative out there right now.
    03-25-2016 08:58 PM
    Understandable when you are looking for two phones. I always pass mine down to my kids while they are still on next plans and I'm the one that really wants the smaller phone. My sons 5c was up for trade in on his next plan so I used that.
    So effectively it cost me two dollars less a month that what I paid for his 5c haha.
    03-26-2016 09:34 AM
    Skimmed thru this for heck f it. I feel like so many of you are not understanding what the op is trying to say. Maybe they for one have upgrade and wanna use it? Please explain to me in what world that's wrong ? I fail see any explanation that being bad thing. Maybe you have different view on what you want to do with your kids. Maybe you rather save that upgrade for yourself. But whatever point is who cares. Maybe the option of paying per month for it fits the budget for them best maybe financially that's best option they see. As far as wants or needs. I totally agree that wants and needs for everyone is TOTALLY DIFFERENT. I speak from experience because I've tried deal with mixing iPhones with andriod phones IS A NIGHTMARE. So maybe the op doesn't have time or knowledge ( no offense op just saying) to try make there iPhone work with a andriod phone. Maybe iPhones apps location manager is what there used to and what works for them. ????
    03-26-2016 10:06 AM
    apparently you fail see some kids don't trash there stuff. My niece has had a original iPad mini since she was 3 I used with her. STILL SAME CONDITION as when we bought it. If she was old enough for phone totally trust her with one that price.
    03-26-2016 10:15 AM
    I'm not against a smartphone for kids. But for those under say 14, the $99 5s is well suited. For me, I couldn't justify the extra $350 for the SE for a 10 year old.
    03-26-2016 10:18 AM
    I'm not against a smartphone for kids. But for those under say 14, the $99 5s is well suited. For me, I couldn't justify the extra $350 for the SE for a 10 year old.
    Again maybe the 16-17$ a month it cost on lease is affordable for someone vs the 99$ upfront. There is different financial situations for everyone out there. Just because it's Apple not everyone could afford it. I know the op is not in that situation. But I'm saying it's plausible that some people might be. Not everyone is same and everyone's definition of wanting and needing is different.
    Ledsteplin likes this.
    03-26-2016 10:22 AM
49 12