Could the iPhone 5SE be the perfect first smartphone for a kid?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Some people say that the size of the iPhone 5/5S/5SE makes it a perfect first smartphone for a kid. Do you agree? If so, do you think a majority of potential buyers will buy it for that reason?

zocster

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking at getting my kids a 5S for their first phone, they have iPad mini 2nd gen now on WiFi for home use :) Price wise, the 5S should be affordable used.

Smply_Rckless

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
Some people say that the size of the iPhone 5/5S/5SE makes it a perfect first smartphone for a kid. Do you agree? If so, do you think a majority of potential buyers will buy it for that reason?

I agree, that the smaller iPhones are perfect for kids. I personally though wouldn't get the iPhone 5SE for a kid. Maybe an iPhone 4 or 4s. If he/she is lucky, a iPhone 5. Because these things cost a lot.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
A 5s would be good for a kid. I get the feeling folks want to diminish the 5se as a less than cheapo phone. That's not the case. It will be just as nice as the 6s. Just smaller with a few less features. Yeah, it would be nice for a kid. But no more than the 6s.

Last edited:

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I think it will be - for my kids anyway. They don't like the bigger phones bc it's hard to hold and doesn't fit in pockets. My kids have had the 5/5C and now the 5S (yes, it pays to have a techie mommy who gets her hands on devices regularly). They haven't really asked for the 6/6S line bc it's big. I think that the 5SE will be a nice "upgrade" for them when they're ready. I expect that the price point will be better as well as the size. My kids are so reckless with their devices, I woudn't ever buy them a new one anyway so maybe I'll get one for myself and hand it down after awhile. ;)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I think it will be - for my kids anyway. They don't like the bigger phones bc it's hard to hold and doesn't fit in pockets. My kids have had the 5/5C and now the 5S (yes, it pays to have a techie mommy who gets her hands on devices regularly). They haven't really asked for the 6/6S line bc it's big. I think that the 5SE will be a nice "upgrade" for them when they're ready. I expect that the price point will be better as well as the size. My kids are so reckless with their devices, I woudn't ever buy them a new one anyway so maybe I'll get one for myself and hand it down after awhile. ;)

My youngest son uses an iPhone 5S, and he loves it and doesn't prefer the size of the iPhone 6 and above devices at all.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
My sons are young adults and both have the 5s. If Apple discontinues the 5s line, this may be the answer for them. They both like the looks of the 6/6s but like the size of the 5s. This seems like a perfect fit for them. As for the perfect starter phone for kids, I think this is a great one for that purpose.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73