Is the timing right for a 4" replacement

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Seeing as the 5s is still able to run the latest version of iOS will no noticeable lag is this a bit early to introduce a replacement with ample but limited update specs or should they wait until September and ramp the specs up a bit?

What's your take on it

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Is the timing right for a 4" replacement

I think Apple knows that this isn't going to take the smartphone world by storm and don't need it to release it with its other flagship devices in the Fall. They don't need or want it to run with anything not currently available (A10 chip, for example) and users with older 4-inch devices are starting to demand replacements only to find nothing available aside from the 5s, which lacks a lot of the bells and whistles of the newer devices. Furthermore, we don't know what iOS 10 is going to demand from a hardware perspective and we don't know what Apple's supply chain looks like. Perhaps they just want a new product sooner than later to boost sales which have started to soften.
Either way, I think a new "budget" device with a smaller screen is a good thing. We really haven't seen anything since the 5c.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That's a hard question to answer, in my opinion, because the trend is still positive for bigger screen sizes. Having said that, I'm not sure how many people are truly interested in purchasing an iPhone with a 4-in. display. I mean, I wouldn't want one, but I would buy one for my youngest son who enjoys his current iPhone 5S and its screen size. Is the timing right for an iPhone with a 4-inch screen at a time when larger screens are popular? I don't know, but I'm interested in seeing how many of them Apple sell if they indeed introduce the iPhone 5SE.

tanknitrous

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I honestly think that you all are going to be very surprised at how many of us are wanting a 4 inch device with updated internals. I think it'll do really really well. But, I'm dumb so....

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I honestly think that you all are going to be very surprised at how many of us are wanting a 4 inch device with updated internals. I think it'll do really really well. But, I'm dumb so....

I agree. There are a lot of folks who really did it prefer the jump to the 6/6+ sizes. But as their devices got older and needed to be replaced, their choices were limited. I think you'll see folks jump on an upgraded 4".

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
I think it's good. I recently got a 5s and I like it quite a bit, but I kind of wish it had band 12 support. Wifi calling makes up for it somewhat. It would be nice to have such a device that is the same size, and has that support. I could get a 6s but that will be bigger.

theitfactor

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
It will be popular for people like myself with small hands as the others are too big. Same goes for people with small pockets or people who want a smaller phone.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Is the timing right? Sure, why not. There are people who really enjoyed their 5S and that phone is about 3 years old now. It's time they got something more updated.

andrewh70

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Many people, myself included, still use and iPhone 5S. I think the SE will be a great phone for people who want to upgrade, yet still have a phone that's the same size.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73