Needless to say, Apps I have active but not used often also get updated & improved, sometimes a lot so I share thus as it 'sort of' applies to one, and 'decidedly' to another
    'Today Weather' has been my 'go to' for several months and has been polished quite a bit, not so much with new features or presentation, but with a smoother, quicker feel. All it it needs IMHO is to go from dark ( it's only appearance) to light / dark with the phone setting. Also, could someone out there who knows about 'stuff' tell me where 'Weatherbit.io' are located? They are one of the selectable sources and are generally very accurate in 'corner of the map' locations worldwide.

YR.no are my second choice for 'self briefing' and since I've had it, several uptates have tweaked the display to show most of what one wants, in a spectacular but non-tacky display. They are from Norway and are also 'totally world aware & competent'.

For weather graphics, ( many other very useful parameters can also be displayed,) the 'Windy' App can't be beat. It's intuitive and very flexible and originates in eastern Europe. ( Prague I believe.)

I have learned simply by use that maybe while not as 'glitzy or entertaining' that 'Euro based' sources have better grasp of 'off the beaten path' places away from Continental North America. I've been told that more & better funding & support is sometimes available for information garnered for the shipping industry and it has spilled over more 'offshore' than what ordinary folks ( non-commercial) have readily available in the western hemisphere- Not sure but makes sense.
    So as a retired Airline pilot, I do understand some of the trials involved in accurate gathering & display of met information and find that now my sources provide more comprehensive information than I had available in the cockpit, when I worked ( until 2008)

My prime sources are NOAA/ NWS/NHC.... WINDY, Today Weather, YR.no and an assortment of radar displays,- MY RADAR being surprisingly good and also constantly being updated & tweaked.

I'm in the Outer Caribbean Windward Island of Barbados.
    Last edited by dmoskaluk; 01-15-2020 at 05:07 AM.
    01-14-2020 06:09 PM
    Some competing apps use the same data sources. Foreca seems to be one that's good in and outside USA. Some are also influenced by crowd-sourced data more than others. I was just in Jamaica including in the mountains and non-resort towns. I got the impression crowd-sourced data was part of some forecasts but also thought cellular network was an influence.

For the Caribbean I've also thought wealth and population contribute to app and network support. Grand Cayman is tiny but a finance and wealth spot that clearly influence how well things work. Jamaica is not a wealthy place in the same way but has a sizable population and to me seems to function well compared to other islands in the bigger or general neighborhood.

One thing to know is look and see if your weather app can use your phone's hardware. I've watched how that helps accuracy for near you and short-term scenarios.
    01-15-2020 08:14 AM
    'Wealth' & the Caribbean in general is aways an interesting concept and perception is everything. The average fellow does not live in a resort and does not have access to one. Having had all my maternal next of kin from and in Barbados, and me after my retirement it became crystal clear that what is perceived as 'wealth' is very much a veneer, and its often a thin one. The real world lives under the veneer cover. Vacation & Retirement with income elsewhere, does not parallel reality for many, or most, and areas like The Cayman Islands, the Virgin Island Islands ( either US or British) floating monies essentially offshore from offshore sources and a lot of their apparent wealth is attributable to other economies. Barbados is a real mixed bag as I'm sure are Jamaica, Trinidad or Antigua but smaller places like St Lucia, St Vincent & The Grenadines are decidedly HAVE ( a very few) or HAVE NOT ( most or the populace) when it comes to financial stability & security. I 'deal from the deck' ( even with a decent pension paid offshore) Those who 'might' obtain an  device every 3 to 4 years tops, not a new one each upgrade, and hearing of those 'big country people' wonder about 'which iPad would suit their three year old? is so far from my reality I gasp. An 'everymans car here', New, will run at least $45,000 US and one with any amenities ( our small basic SUV, no-frills Hyundai Tucson, in 2014 rang in at $115,000 B'dos ( $57,500 US) then and has gone up....Wages are generally well below what is paid in a big country for the same jobs.
    But a song says 'Sunshine and sand are free' and we are very glad for the modern technologies mainly in areas of communication which is why, even if at a price, the smartphone and tablet market shines bright and things like, among many others, weather awareness are so much improved, even in the last 5-10 year span.
    01-15-2020 12:17 PM
    'Wealth' & the Caribbean in general is aways an interesting concept and perception is everything. The average fellow does not live in a resort and does not have access to one. Having had all my maternal next of kin from and in Barbados, and me after my retirement it became crystal clear that what is perceived as 'wealth' is very much a veneer, and its often a thin one. The real world lives under the veneer cover. Vacation & Retirement with income elsewhere, does not parallel reality for many, or most, and areas like The Cayman Islands, the Virgin Island Islands ( either US or British) floating monies essentially offshore from offshore sources and a lot of their apparent wealth is attributable to other economies. Barbados is a real mixed bag as I'm sure are Jamaica, Trinidad or Antigua but smaller places like St Lucia, St Vincent & The Grenadines are decidedly HAVE ( a very few) or HAVE NOT ( most or the populace) when it comes to financial stability & security. I 'deal from the deck' ( even with a decent pension paid offshore) Those who 'might' obtain an  device every 3 to 4 years tops, not a new one each upgrade, and hearing of those 'big country people' wonder about 'which iPad would suit their three year old? is so far from my reality I gasp. An 'everymans car here', New, will run at least $45,000 US and one with any amenities ( our small basic SUV, no-frills Hyundai Tucson, in 2014 rang in at $115,000 B'dos ( $57,500 US) then and has gone up....Wages are generally well below what is paid in a big country for the same jobs.
    But a song says 'Sunshine and sand are free' and we are very glad for the modern technologies mainly in areas of communication which is why, even if at a price, the smartphone and tablet market shines bright and things like, among many others, weather awareness are so much improved, even in the last 5-10 year span.
    Yes. I'm probably more aware than most tourists. We've been to different places and done more trips than I can count. We've befriended local residents and in 40+ years I've only stayed at a resort 3 times. I'm aware of other issues such as how a lot of people almost must buy cheap counterfeit items that often have poor quality. I'm in the technology part of food business so always go to grocery stores when I travel in addition to look into wages. With that, I hope tourists are generous tippers. Quite often that nice person helping you has a low wage and has to buy important items for 20% to 100% more.

You explained someone recently asking me how a Toyota RAV4 so common here and also available with right side steering wheel is a premium vehicle in the Caribbean.
    01-15-2020 12:58 PM
    A Rav4, even without any 'bells & whistles' will run at least $120-125,000 BDS now ie $60T US & up, mostly up. Tourists either are good tippers or don't tip at all and the relative incomes of said tourists is not really a factor. But - to keep the  market in mind, I just replaced my iMac for less than what it would have cost in Canada or the UK, probably about what the US price would have been. EXCEPT, no 'Apple Care' and a thin support system after purchase. Remember, import duties and taxes on many things, including vehicles are not imposed to protect any local businesses, but to protect the relative value of local currency through the Central Bank. Some technological goods get a break but but not all. Duties / Taxes on vehicles are and have been 100-150% for at least as long as I've been here, approaching 10 years. I'm probably 'about average' when I clap my hands for things like easily available battery changes for current ( 6S 7, 8) iPhone models through the  authorized reseller for about what it would cost in the US, converted to local currency. And it now can be done, with an appointment, while you wait.
    01-15-2020 01:10 PM