Lastpass vs 1password?

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys, looking at running a password manager finally and having troubles figuring out the pro's and con's of these two. Kind of interested in them vs others due to offering a family plan and hopefully getting my parents off of a printed word doc and onto something more secure in addition to myself and my wife of course. (also don't need VPN like Dashlane offers due to 3yr discounted NordVPN subscription currently). For devices my wife and I are using iPhone/iPad and Win10 PC's. My parents are using Win10 PC and Android devices.

What are you guys using/why? Did you use one of these and switch recently? If so why?

blaine07

Case & Accessory Champion
Champion
Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
I’m using Bitwarden. I’m using it because I like it and serves my needs and most importantly, for me, it can be self hosted. Doesn’t have to be self hosted but can be. Never the less, I’d recommend looking into Bitwarden too; has family groups and password sharing and such too I believe.

https://bitwarden.com/

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I am a LastPass fan knowing there are other good solutions. This bias comes from being an IT pro mostly occupied with networking and security but also using it personally and with the family plan. It is a platform good for personal and work use. There are great reviews from trusted sources for it.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I’m using Bitwarden. I’m using it because I like it and serves my needs and most importantly, for me, it can be self hosted. Doesn’t have to be self hosted but can be. Never the less, I’d recommend looking into Bitwarden too; has family groups and password sharing and such too I believe.

https://bitwarden.com/

Thanks, I did consider Bitwarden, just not sure how user friendly it's going to be for my parents for example. They do decently well with tech for people in their early 70's but something like this would be very new for them. My impression was Lastpass or 1password especially with the sharing features might be easier for them to work with, but then having never used a manager yet myself I could be totally wrong?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I've been using 1Password for about 5 years now. I don't do a family thing though. It's just me. I like how it works with fingerprint and other features. Their customer service is great and I like their support forum. Never tried Lastpass.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys, looking at running a password manager finally and having troubles figuring out the pro's and con's of these two. Kind of interested in them vs others due to offering a family plan and hopefully getting my parents off of a printed word doc and onto something more secure in addition to myself and my wife of course. (also don't need VPN like Dashlane offers due to 3yr discounted NordVPN subscription currently). For devices my wife and I are using iPhone/iPad and Win10 PC's. My parents are using Win10 PC and Android devices.

What are you guys using/why? Did you use one of these and switch recently? If so why?

Both are top notch password apps, in my opinion, and I’ve tried a good deal of them over the years and I can say that you can’t go wrong with either.

Last edited:

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Thanks guys, well I decided to try out Lastpass first since it's free no matter what for the basic account. I'll probably add in the 30 day trial of 1password over New Years when I have 5 days off and can really compare side by side to see the UI differences etc. Lastpass is also giving me a 30 day trial of the premium version so I'll still be able to directly compare the features of both.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I’ve been using BitWarden since @blaine07 suggestion a while back. I would have had to pay premium on 1Password to keep using it in Safari on my MacBook. BitWarden is cross platform and is usable on all my devices without a subscription. It doesn’t seem to be too different from any other password manager.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I’ve been using BitWarden since @blaine07 suggestion a while back. I would have had to pay premium on 1Password to keep using it in Safari on my MacBook. BitWarden is cross platform and is usable on all my devices without a subscription. It doesn’t seem to be too different from any other password manager.

Thanks. I'll probably have to check it out as well. Just concerned if it will be user friendly enough for less tech savvy family members. Thoughts?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I'll probably have to check it out as well. Just concerned if it will be user friendly enough for less tech savvy family members. Thoughts?

It seems like it has a couple more clicks than 1Password or LastPass, but it’s a little more sterile like Windows file explorer, if that makes sense. They’re all pretty comparable. BitWarden for a single user is 100% free too, so you could try it anytime.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I was a LastPass user for a few years and then after they were breached I moved to 1Password. I was looking to try something else even before the breach so I probably would still be using 1Password even if it hadn't happened.

No reason for the change, just wanted to try something different.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I was a LastPass user for a few years and then after they were breached I moved to 1Password. I was looking to try something else even before the breach so I probably would still be using 1Password even if it hadn't happened.

No reason for the change, just wanted to try something different.

Thanks, yeah I definitely have it on my list to try out, but because it's a 30 day trial I want to make sure I have time to play with it before I sign up. I work in IT and have been talking to the guy that does a lot of our Web security stuff and he's apparently really into security stuff at home as well. He's been using Lastpass for about a year now with a Yubikey NFC device for 2 factor authentication and after asking him some questions about Lastpass and the others he's been looking at them again and now he's really interested in trying out 1password as well since it apparently supports some newer forms of multi-factor authentication protocols that Lastpass doesn't yet. Apparently I got him all excited and into doing more research etc on these types of services lol.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I used Data Vault for a very long time before switching over to 1Password. There was absolutely nothing wrong with Data Vault, however, when 1Password was making a splash I wanted to give it a try and have been using it ever since.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I would avoid lastpass, they seem to get compromised/hacked often.

Last edited:

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I doubt Apple would allow that. I'm sure Lastpass wouldn't like it.

Most of the password apps I've been looking at do offer some form of import. On my PC for example I can let the Lastpass app import my saved passwords from Chrome. Outside of that I've seen help docs on their sites about how you can export your passwords/etc from one company (say Lastpass as an example) and then import that file into the new one you want to go to like 1password. I don't think you can do it directly on a mobile device though. I think it needs a PC or Mac so you have a more desktop oriented client to do it with, but I might be wrong there. I don't see any option in the iOS Lastpass app for example but if I open up Account Options > Advanced there is an Import option on the Lastpass Chrome extension that offers a huge list of formats and apps to import from including other password managers.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Most of the password apps I've been looking at do offer some form of import. On my PC for example I can let the Lastpass app import my saved passwords from Chrome. Outside of that I've seen help docs on their sites about how you can export your passwords/etc from one company (say Lastpass as an example) and then import that file into the new one you want to go to like 1password. I don't think you can do it directly on a mobile device though. I think it needs a PC or Mac so you have a more desktop oriented client to do it with, but I might be wrong there. I don't see any option in the iOS Lastpass app for example but if I open up Account Options > Advanced there is an Import option on the Lastpass Chrome extension that offers a huge list of formats and apps to import from including other password managers.

There may be a way, as long as the companies (apps) involved agree.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I looked at the options a little further in the Lastpass Chrome extension. For example to import from 1password it gives you instructions on how to use the export function in 1password to create a file then paste that into the Lastpass import feature. There were similar instructions for Dashlane as well as another example.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
There is an import function in 1Password (for desktop, I haven't checked mobile), directly in the File menu.

It can import from these sources:
  1. 1Password keychain (file)
  2. 1Password 6
  3. Older 1Password version
  4. LastPass
  5. SplashID
  6. CSV file
  7. 1Password Interchange Format File (1Pif)

In each option, it explains what steps you need to take, textually.