'Today Weather' - A newer forecasting App

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Having always had an interest in weather displays & apps ( as a retired airline pilot) I try to keep a finger on the pulse wrt what's up & what's new.
From a users perspective I've found the amalgamation of many of the former weather services into one ( Wunderground, Intellicast, 'The Weather Company etc) has been less that optimum. Also, living offshore, ( Caribbean) I've found that the traditional weather apps & their parent outfits do a very poor job with 'local' weather forecasting & reporting, when the customer base iis comparatively small. Timely updating and accurate local forecasting used to be shakey at best, now simply doesn't happen, unless it's a major storm ( think Hurricane or Tropical Storm) which are superbly tracked & detailed by the NOAA/ NWS/ NHC. I've found it easy to see that the Canadian Weather Network does Canada well, The various US Services & providers address American needs adequately, but it ends there. Accurate local weather needs ( to freely steal a Realtors mantra about 'Location, location) one needs to think "Source source" and realize there's a world out there beyond the traditional concept of borders. I have no idea what's available in the UK or European or other countries App stores under Weather Apps, but I just tripped over a link ( ironically in a blog by a former Wunderground guru) to a newer app which seems to have much better 'worldwide data' and goes far beyond what I've seen the last few years. It also has a clean, polished interface which is customizable in ways others often aren't ie one can inhibit cutesey photos & such to reduce data-load. It is free with ads, or can be cheaply subscribed to for up to 'lifetime' and is called simply 'Today Weather'. It's a 'dark presentation' but in the future may switch with the phone set-up, I really don't know but am a 'dark mode' type anyhow. The way I figure ( in my couple of weeks with it so far) IF it can zero in on 'Paynes Bay', Barbados, as well as it handles 'Ham Lake' Minnesota, ( a brother -in-law) it's better than most. Weather related apps I do use regularity are 'Windy' a first rate and world class forecasting mapping tool for more parameters than I can count, yet very intuitive to use. 'Storm Radar' by The Weather Channel, 'My Radar', and 'Hurricane Pro' plus of course the Web pages associated with NHC/NOAA
Only downsides I’ve seen so far with Today Weather is the lack of a landscape presentation on iPad , and the temperature and actual weather information ( both iPhone & iPad ) do not show a ‘when observed ‘ time field - but many such apps do not show this either. I got it in the Canadian App Store.
f107f5dd050ab532524bc0c2766c20f8.png
2fb25c1e2718b0cd5cac41e7aea5c055.png

Last edited:

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Thank you. I wish he stated his data sources. My apologies if I missed that.

This is a reminder that Climendo appears to have bit the dust. That really let you know best data. FWIW, Foreca who's got better than average data has really improved their interface but still doesn't let you buy out of ads. The forecastadvisor.com site is a Clemendo alternative but not the best mobile display.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
The data source listed is 'weatherbi.io as default, - with paid app a choice is offered including Accuweather ( personally I've found them OK wrt the USA but weak anywhere else,) or Dark Sky -again, Good in US & possibly UK, not great or having a presence in other areas or App stores ( eg Canada). Or YR.no ( I don't know them.) I've stayed with the default, as on the list / selection setting, all options show a quick preview and weathrbi.io is usually closest.

Last edited:

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
As per a conversation on another thread, ( last App/Game Installed) I find it interesting that 'Today Weather' shows a different default ( Accuweather) for its 'US App Store' version than my 'Cdn' version. As such 'weatherbi.io' is 'world-centric' while Accuweather not nearly so much, and embarrassingly weak beyond USA shores. I've found generally that where US based weather services do yeoman service while America, it ends there. Of the 4 choices listed with the upgrade version of Today Weather, 2 are US ( Accuweather & Dark Sky) 2 are foreign ( weathrbi & YR.no) Refreshing my mind, YR is/ was the source for a screen- saver which I used to use in Windows and early iMac but it didnt do  well at all. It was a Russian product called 'Yo Window.' The Yr weather source is from Norway I believe. YR has its own app which while not my cup of tea with it's intense graphics is fairly accurate on 'off the track' places as well & a good choices for those who 'view stuff' as opposed to myself who prefers to 'read stuff'.

Last edited:

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
As per a conversation on another thread, ( last App/Game Installed) I find it interesting that 'Today Weather' shows a different default ( Accuweather) for its 'US App Store' version than my 'Cdn' version. As such 'weatherbi.io' is 'world-centric' while Accuweather not nearly so much, and embarrassingly weak beyond USA shores. I've found generally that where US based weather services do yeoman service while America, it ends there. Of the 4 choices listed with the upgrade version of Today Weather, 2 are US ( Accuweather & Dark Sky) 2 are foreign ( weathrbi & YR.no) Refreshing my mind, YR is/ was the source for a screen- saver which I used to use in Windows and early iMac but it didnt do  well at all. It was a Russian product called 'Yo Window.' The Yr weather source is from Norway I believe. YR has its own app which while not my cup of tea with it's intense graphics is fairly accurate on 'off the track' places as well & a good choices for those who 'view stuff' as opposed to myself who prefers to 'read stuff'.

I've noticed sources that are tremendous at home are not when I've been on GCM many times. When Climendo was alive very often Foreca was there in the most accurate for where you stand. It was good on my last trip outside the US.

I'm obsessive on this topic because of my sports interests and being a trail manager and a ski area director (board member). Some laugh at it but associates who are in ag, construction, pilots, or in logistics think differently.

This is a fun topic with a scientist I know. He does data visualization at a university that's part of or contributes to NASA satellite systems. Anyone really into weather should checkout University Of Wisconsin's Real Earth site and then get the mobile app. His acquaintance works on that system of 500+ data layers you can put on a Google map. I use the storm total layer a lot and one of the shortcuts in their mobile app.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Weather as such was never an 'acedemic interest' and I'm far from an enthusiast but having spent 36 years in the airline industry, my last 20 some as a Captain, it represented a high priority in my world. Now having been retired 10 years, I'm simply looking for accurate reports and valid forecasts. I'll be the first to say that what is available ( particularly in the satellite & radar mapping) for public use is equal or better than what airline flight dispatchers had available even close to my retirement. But in my quest for simple accurate information I've found that living here in the Caribbean, and using the 'traditional Apps & sources' , to use a Caribbean expression, is like 'picking hens teeth'....I'll drop you a PM about an observation of mine from away back,and its about an 'attitude thing' which is all too prevalent. I was used to a 'world culture' at work but as a civvy now, a Canadian of Barbadian descent, having returned 'home' I've found some very interesting attitudes. Stay tuned.....

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
'Ventusky' in its newest update also has a great intuitive presentation of a plethora of Weather related parameters including a real time radar display. It is aomewhat similar to 'Windy' display wise, with different strengths and weaknesses. It's available as as free app or browser based web page.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2