Speedtest by Ookla

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone had difficulties lately getting accurate download/upload speedtests using 'Speedtest by Ookla'. (speedtest.net) It certainly used to be a go-to-app for me but since around the time iOS13 came, it's been unusable on my iPhone and iPad. It was still functional on my iMac, but today even there it won't connect properly. 'Downdetector' shows very intermittent issues but nothing catastrophic...
I am trying a newer speedtest app which seems fine so far and gives lots of post-test analysis each test done. It's in the App Store and is called 'Speed Check' and is free ( with ads) and not horribly expensive without.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
It hasn't been updated in 2 months and may need some minor tweaks to work properly with iOS 13.
Somethings definitely needed as it is this morning still not working on my iMac either, ans I have not yet done 'Catalina'. The SpeekCheck I installed a few days ago works well though as a work- around.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Uninstalled/ Reinstalled - no better - I'd think it could be iOS 13 or so thing connected to my ISP, as I'm still not getting a good test using the iMac either. The SpeedCheck App shows all is well and in truth, using its values, Speedtest may indeed have been fairly 'generous' with what it showed ( about 10-15 % high. My actual Internet experience has been good throughout with quick browsers and little to no buffering on video streams.
iOS 13.1.3 has now dropped on 2 of the 4 devices so I'll.wait until all show it then go ahead with it. I'd guess the weekend.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Somethings definitely needed as it is this morning still not working on my iMac either, ans I have not yet done 'Catalina'. The SpeekCheck I installed a few days ago works well though as a work- around.

I agree, I tested before my initial post. It said I was getting about 40mbps down. Which is incorrect, in my living room that’s off by about 400mbps

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to put Speedtest by Ookla on a 'back burner' until an update to the App drops as it's at present essentially useless. I now have it 'most of the time' on the desktop however.
What this has shown though, at least here in the Caribbean , with my service, the Speedtest numbers are and were quite 'generous & optomistic' at best. Using SpeedCheck provided much more realistic results all round and it's a good choice. It's also available on Safari on the iMac ( other browsers too I'd imagine.) Strong point is its immediate post-test analysis of performance & capability. The 'Performance' section seems only on the mobile version but I haven't dug too deeply into the Web presentation on my desktop.
Now of course how the results stack up with what my ISP advertises (& what I pay for ) is a totally different and unrelated matter but my old eyes aren't up to reading the fine print...

Last edited:

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
The Speedtest by Ookla has been stable/reliable for me but I have paid version and it finds nearby hosts for its testing.

I don't know how you can say another app is more reliable or even Speedtest when you don't really know where and what you're testing. Example my phone and the Speedtest app give different results in the same building depending on the SSID I use because of traffic shaping, my proximity to the access point, and how many devices are using it. For accuracy you should measure your ISP from your own gateway of last resort to their local hops.

If SpeedCheck is same one I know that has a web site, that doesn't list hops or what your ISP is really providing to your site.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh