Whatsapp - Yay or Nay?

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I just got invited by my cousin, who is currently traveling in Europe to join Whatsapp. I am leery because of the recent security breach. Is anyone here using it? I'd love to know your thoughts if so.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WhatsApp
Never knew what it was.

The definition of WhatsApp on "Wikipedia" reads: "WhatsApp Messenger is a freeware, cross-platform messaging and Voice over IP service owned by Facebook. It allows sending of text messages and voice messages, making voice and video calls as well as sharing images, documents, user location and other media".

It's great for people traveling, or for people who have family and friends scattered around the world. My concern is that Whatsapp had a large security breach just last month.

kazp3r17

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Ohh I see, yea I refrain from using most things that are created by Facebook. I would just be cautious using it, if that's something you and your family usually on a daily basis.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I just got invited by my cousin, who is currently traveling in Europe to join Whatsapp. I am leery because of the recent security breach. Is anyone here using it? I'd love to know your thoughts if so.
I've never used the WhatsApp service or the app, and other than the security breaches, the people I knew who used it didn't say anything bad about it. From a personal standpoint, if I can use the built-in Messages app to send and received text messages to recipients then there is no need for me to use anything else.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Some of my family use it, I don’t, being more than slightly sceptical of Facebook and all it’s works, I wouldn’t say it’s the work of the Devil, but who is that funny little man who wants to rule the universe ?

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Is that app relevant outside Europe? No one here in Japan uses it, so I’ve never actually seen it pop up on the App Store top apps.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I've never used WhatsApp. Never downloaded it. Don't have any need for it. The iPhone Messages app and Facebook Messenger suits all my needs for Family, friends, and business.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I’ve used WhatsApp since the day it came out.
Here in Europe it was very expensive to send text messages, unlike nowadays.

WhatsApp was revolutionary and made texting cheaper and easier.
Even now I use it quite often, especially because I don’t have to think about who has iMessage (enabled) or an Android device. It just works.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site

For many places it's essentially the backbone of voice and text communication as long as Internet is available. Let's face it, many of the world's countries do not have a robust telephone networks,and development in the last decade has been more dedicated to cell towers & cell data. Thus an Internet based network is easier and less expensive to expand and maintain than copper or fibre service with modem generated wifi. House to house within country and long distance overseas calling is so much less expensive using the likes of WhatsApp that it's worth the risks for most people. Where local Governments impose exorbitant taxes & penalties on long distance telephony, people have to do what's most efficient, and for most 'non-techhy' types, this is simply the way most have chosen to go. For example, It's the backbone of my family communication linking Barbados, NA, Guyana South America (my wife's family) with generally decent voice calling, and where bandwidth permits, acceptable video calling as well. WhatsApp, with the financial backing & support of Facebook, even with a lot of its baggage, simply does what it does very well when in comparison to many available alternatives.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Thank you all for your very thoughtful replies. I do know that it's been beneficial to students here at the University who are from India... they use it to connect easily with family and friends and it works for them. I also know that family members traveling in Europe use it to connect with their families at home because data is impossibly expensive and WhatsApp has been a good solution. I used it years ago but deleted it. And then there was the security breach last month and I was just leery about downloading it. As it turned out, my cousin sent me photos via iMessage once he had access to WiFi so it all worked out.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
WhatsApp is secure. It offers end to end encryption just like iMessage. This means even WhatsApp can't see your messages. I use it personally and have for years and see no reasons to discontinue it's use.

tr1ad

Trusted Member
Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
It's what we mostly use in the Caribbean ... Even iPhone owners over here. Guess it was those that migrated over from BBM days.
iMessage still isn't that popular as WhatsApp

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I'd think that here in the Caribbean, WhatsApp predominance is simply that while far from a rarity, iPhones are probably not the phone of the majority, simply because they are too expensive for limited budgets. Samsung & BLU Android products across the price spectrum from essentially basic to high end hold most of the market thus iMessage really does have limitations. And yes, I transitioned from BBM 'way back when'...

Last edited:

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
I've used WhatsApp in the past with friends who live abroad but haven't used it in awhile. I keep it downloaded just in case a need arises again.

Kevinkkk

Jul 23, 2019
Visit site
Even though it is an app that owns by Facebook its not totally trash you know. It's just a chatting platform. But there are some annoying things such as anyone can see when is the last time you were online and when you check the status of others it will let them know that you checked it. To avoid these kinds of issues there is a modified version of app named whatsapp++. But it only can download for the jailbroken devices. But third party app store such as AppZule you can download it without jailbreaking the device.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I use Whats App and it's pretty good. I don't use it too much anymore, but I do have a friend I converse with from time to time using Whats App.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I've been leery about WhatsApp for some time due to security issues. That said, I can see the benefits of it... my cousin's son is teaching in Cambodia, and WhatsApp has allowed them to communicate with each other on a daily basis.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods