BeWeather 3 for iPhone

moyjoy

Mar 4, 2019
Visit site
Re: BeWeather v3 (Beta) for iPhone

In hinesight or looking to the past... Some things are just best when LEFT ALONE!! Hope you know what I mean by that.

At times, yes. In this case Weather Underground cut their weather data service. Leaving things alone wasn’t an option.

Apr 4, 2018
Visit site

I already paid for BeWeather on my iPhone. Now its back on the app store and I have to pay again? No way!

I refuse to pay again for an inaccurate, unreliable and horrible weather app!

Dark Sky is terrible! Paying for this app is paying again for Dark Sky that I already have, did not like and deleted.

Who cares how pretty the icons are if you can't rely on the weather app, its forecasts or its data!

Last edited:

kwdunn

Apr 1, 2019
Visit site

I'm a long time BeWeather user and it is still my favorite and go to weather app. I have been testing this Beta version and have now purchased BeWeather 3. Couple of things I would love to see added.

1) Apple Watch complications (I understand a subscription will be required and I am ok with that)
2) Ability to select an alternate weather data source (i.e. AccuWeather, Weather Channel, etc.). Again I understand a subscription may be required and I am ok with this as well)

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

At times, yes. In this case Weather Underground cut their weather data service. Leaving things alone wasn’t an option.

Developers ALWAYS have options!! If they want to instead of choosing the most unreliable service in DarkSky and I am not the only one that feels this way. Others just don't want to post what they really think!!

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

I already paid for BeWeather on my iPhone. Now its back on the app store and I have to pay again? No way!

I refuse to pay again for an inaccurate, unreliable and horrible weather app!

Dark Sky is terrible! Paying for this app is paying again for Dark Sky that I already have, did not like and deleted.

Who cares how pretty the icons are if you can't rely on the weather app, its forecasts or its data!

Well if nobody else will admit how they really feel like I do and agree with you 100% as you feel. Too bad a good app can go so bad!!

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

I'm a long time BeWeather user and it is still my favorite and go to weather app. I have been testing this Beta version and have now purchased BeWeather 3. Couple of things I would love to see added.

1) Apple Watch complications (I understand a subscription will be required and I am ok with that)
2) Ability to select an alternate weather data source (i.e. AccuWeather, Weather Channel, etc.). Again I understand a subscription may be required and I am ok with this as well)

The watch complication... Yeh maybe someday but don't hold your breath for anything else. I deleted the app and moved on to the Apple native weather app and acuweather so that is that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

I just wanted to take a minute to welcome you to iMore. It's great to have you here.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

I'm not particularly happy with Dark Sky as the weather data source. It doesn't update as well as all my other weather apps, or is just not as accurate. I have 5 weather apps that say 71°, where BeWeather 3 says 69°. Sometimes it's accurate, but many times not.
According to a study:

AccuWeather’s predictions were best for temperature averages and highs, probability of precipitation and wind speed. The Weather Channel and Weather Underground came top for low temperature predictions. Dark Sky came last in all these categories

So are you saying that you DO NOT like the new Beweather v3? It also cost to buy it when previous versions we already purchased should eliminate the new one even if it is a new version and does not work as advertised. I agree with you on your assessment of the app.

moyjoy

Mar 4, 2019
Visit site

Developers ALWAYS have options!! If they want to instead of choosing the most unreliable service in DarkSky and I am not the only one that feels this way. Others just don't want to post what they really think!!

Yes... however your wish was for things to be left alone.

I do not like Dark Sky, but weather underground stopped recognizing weather stations in Brooklyn. I welcomed any change that at least got the app working regularly for me again so I didn’t have to guesstimate the weather in my neighborhood off of downtown Manhattan weather which is way off because I’m inland and that’s on the water.

I’m sticking with BeWeather though because it’s been consistent for my needs after the switch. (And no, my needs aren’t pretty icons.)

I also have no problem giving the developer 99 cents. I work in music and have a soft heart for those who have to unexpectedly change up their creations because of something completely out of their control.

There’s what I really think. :)

bdtrader

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site

I like this suggestion. I am sure there are costs for data from some/all of these weather sources. In addition, to your list I would add for subscription:

- More map and better map layers like lightning, combined satellite/visible clouds,
- Precipitation and lightning alerts

I think an additional, optional subscription service would be good for those of us that want more more info or an alternate weather data source (Carrot Weather and some other weather apps do this.

And this would also provide additional revenue to @pfluger and the team so they can continue to support beweather long term.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

Yes... however your wish was for things to be left alone.

I do not like Dark Sky, but weather underground stopped recognizing weather stations in Brooklyn. I welcomed any change that at least got the app working regularly for me again so I didn’t have to guesstimate the weather in my neighborhood off of downtown Manhattan weather which is way off because I’m inland and that’s on the water.

I’m sticking with BeWeather though because it’s been consistent for my needs after the switch. (And no, my needs aren’t pretty icons.)

I also have no problem giving the developer 99 cents. I work in music and have a soft heart for those who have to unexpectedly change up their creations because of something completely out of their control.

There’s what I really think. :)

You make a good argument for YOUR situation, However I have known the dev for 15 years and beta tested for him. I don't have to be as critical for a weather app when there are so many.... It is called choice. Good luck!

moyjoy

Mar 4, 2019
Visit site

You make a good argument for YOUR situation, However I have known the dev for 15 years and beta tested for him. I don't have to be as critical for a weather app when there are so many.... It is called choice. Good luck!

All good... I’ve already chosen to stick with BeWeather. Good luck to you!! I hope you find what works for you.

kwdunn

Apr 1, 2019
Visit site

Yes it would be nice to have a high definition radar with the features you mention. That way I could get rid of the separate radar app I use

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

All good... I’ve already chosen to stick with BeWeather. Good luck to you!! I hope you find what works for you.

I am as well. I really like the app. Granted, I do not have years of experience with the developer, yet I understand that he's working very hard to get it up and running. I did grow frustrated with BW2 when it ceased to function properly and actually deleted it. When I learned that the Developer was working on BW3, I was very excited and have been watching this thread since it started.

I am not a developer and have no idea of all that is involved in getting something like this up and running, but it seems like it takes a lot. So I can afford to be patient.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

So are you saying that you DO NOT like the new Beweather v3? It also cost to buy it when previous versions we already purchased should eliminate the new one even if it is a new version and does not work as advertised. I agree with you on your assessment of the app.

On the price point, I think BeWeather 2 was $2.99. He's offering BeWeather 3 for 99¢ for a limited time. That would be a total investment in BeWeather of $3.98. That's not unreasonable, when you look at other paid weather apps. Some, like Carrot, charge a monthly subscription fee.

bdtrader

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site

@pfluger in the current beta the gps my location is not updating very quickly when changing locations. I was driving thru different locations. The widget updates to the current location very quickly. When I tap on the widget the 'my location' stays on the prior location for minutes and it not updating or updating with a large time delay. I did update it by pulling down on the location menu. Again the widget location updates very quickly.

CletusWaldman

Mar 2, 2019
Visit site

I changed my mind @pfluger and no longer want the code which I just PM'd for. I think considering the updates and improvements I'd rather just purchase and contribute. I just did so in fact and posted a review. iClet, Cletus Waldman — this is the right thing to do. Merci beaucoup!

CletusWaldman

Mar 2, 2019
Visit site

How does one reply to a PM? I have never used it before— - I sent a PM and got a reply, by after a good time search for a reply, I could not find how to??

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner