BeWeather 3 for iPhone

bdtrader

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: BeWeather v3 (Beta) for iPhone

I checked this and I think this is the problem: As I mentioned earlier weather alerts in the app come through the DarkSky service but our alert notifications come directly from the NWS.

In your case the Flood Warning seems to be wrong and not apply to your location (You can double check by looking up your location on other weather services and the NWS).

So DarkSky is supplying us with wrong data. As we poll the NWS for the alert notification and they do not show the Flood Warning for you location you never received a push notification for this.

EDIT: We do not send any precipitation notifications like DarkSky.

There is a flood warning for my location on the NWS: https://forecast.weather.gov/showsi...Warning&lat=42.1946&lon=-88.1502#.XJf_Fi2ZNGE

Do you plan to send precipitation alerts in the future?

Thanks.

pfluger

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site

There is a flood warning for my location on the NWS: https://forecast.weather.gov/showsi...Warning&lat=42.1946&lon=-88.1502#.XJf_Fi2ZNGE

Do you plan to send precipitation alerts in the future?

Thanks.

I just checked. The link in your post uses the geolocation 42.1946,-88.1502. I checked against the NWS API service where our server gets the data from and it does return both the advisory and the warning for that location.

The lat/lon our servers got from BeWeather on your phone is slightly different though. (Not posting it here for privacy reasons). For that location there is only the advisory.

Is this the GPS 'My Location' in BeWeather or a manually entered one?

Regarding precipitation alerts. There are currently no plans but if we decide to add them they would have to be part of a premium subscription service.

Last edited:

bdtrader

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site

I just checked. The link in your post uses the geolocation 42.1946,-88.1502. I checked against the NWS API service where our server gets the data from and it does return both the advisory and the warning for that location.

The lat/lon our servers got from BeWeather on your phone is slightly different though. (Not posting it here for privacy reasons). For that location there is only the advisory.

Is this the GPS 'My Location' in BeWeather or a manually entered one?

Regarding precipitation alerts. There are currently no plans but if we decide to add them they would have to be part of a premium subscription service.

This GPS was from 'My location'. I did not manually enter it.

I do get the warning shown in the app, just not an alert. It seems like it should be consistent so if the app shows the warning then it should get an alert. If my location should not get a warning then it should not show in the app.

I just deleted the app and reinstalled it and the warning shows up in the app. I just let the app select my location.

Please let me know if you need more info.

Thanks.

pfluger

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site

This GPS was from 'My location'. I did not manually enter it.

I do get the warning shown in the app, just not an alert. It seems like it should be consistent so if the app shows the warning then it should get an alert. If my location should not get a warning then it should not show in the app.

I just deleted the app and reinstalled it and the warning shows up in the app. I just let the app select my location.

Please let me know if you need more info.

Thanks.

Yes, we will probably have to replace the DarkSky supplied alerts in the app with the NWS ones we use for the notifications to make ensure this is consistent.

DarkSky might match locations differently to the weather alert zones that leads to these inconsistencies.

There is one other possibility what might have caused this. Currently BeWeather supplies our alert notification server with the GPS location when you open the app. When in the background there are no GPS updates.

So if you move and never open BeWeather up again we still have that old GPS location and will send alerts for that location only.

bdtrader

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site

Yes, we will probably have to replace the DarkSky supplied alerts in the app with the NWS ones we use for the notifications to make ensure this is consistent.

DarkSky might match locations differently to the weather alert zones that leads to these inconsistencies.

There is one other possibility what might have caused this. Currently BeWeather supplies our alert notification server with the GPS location when you open the app. When in the background there are no GPS updates.

So if you move and never open BeWeather up again we still have that old GPS location and will send alerts for that location only.

This makes sense.

In my situation I don't think it was the last possibility. I have been in the same location.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

I finally got a weather alert yesterday
03b402589eef809702579100145ee931.jpg

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

Im glad you got an alert and hope that everyone stays safe. And I now realize that no news is good news - no alerts means no bad weather!

scryber

Sep 19, 2018
Visit site

Radar is showing a lot of patchy precipitation that doesn't exist... showing the radar from Dark Sky for comparison
IMG_9CE6E3869BB7-2.jpeg
IMG_D70485F27E61-1.jpeg

bdtrader

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site

@pfluger
There is a very minor issue with the Black theme. When you scroll down to the bottom section the background changes to a very dark blue and is no longer pure black.

pfluger

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site

A new beta is out. This version should fix all the legacy iconset issues. It will replace wind with a sunny/clear icon if the iconset does not have a wind icon.

bdtrader

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site

I just loaded the new beta and I still cannot select a weather icon set from the list. I deleted my existing app before installing the new beta.

truenorthstrong

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site

So do notifications only work for current location on? So my phone has to have location services on for it to work? It does not work for first location in the app?

pfluger

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site

So do notifications only work for current location on? So my phone has to have location services on for it to work? It does not work for first location in the app?

Notifications work for whatever location is first on the list. Does not matter if it is the gps location or a manually entered one.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner