BeWeather 3 for iPhone

happySun

Feb 20, 2020
Visit site
I don't have these issues. When you say "memory", do you refer to RAM or storage space?

I mean RAM. i've seen it using as much as 15000 pages, or 234 MB, via jetsam logs. The iPad 6 only has 2 GB RAM, so I cannot afford giving 10% memory to an intermittent app. What I described is infrequent, but often enough to be annoying. It may be due to a race condition between different threads.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I mean RAM. i've seen it using as much as 15000 pages, or 234 MB, via jetsam logs. The iPad 6 only has 2 GB RAM, so I cannot afford giving 10% memory to an intermittent app. What I described is infrequent, but often enough to be annoying. It may be due to a race condition between different threads.

iOS manages RAM very well. That's not anything to be concerned about. You won't run out of RAM memory, regardless of which apps you use. I have 257 apps on my screen. Pretty sure many use RAM. Pretty sure a weather app, BeWeather 3 included, is not gonna hurt.

happySun

Feb 20, 2020
Visit site
iOS manages RAM very well. That's not anything to be concerned about. You won't run out of RAM memory, regardless of which apps you use. I have 257 apps on my screen. Pretty sure many use RAM. Pretty sure a weather app, BeWeather 3 included, is not gonna hurt.

Yes. iOS manages RAM using a process called "jetsam". When a process needs memory, jetsam will ask processes to compress or release memory. Failing that, it will kill a process. If a process hogs a lot of memory, you may see several jetsam logs in a few seconds, as it struggles to free up memory. I use music instrument apps that need a lot of memory, so I prefer to force-quit known memory hogs, especially browsers, regularly. (The high page sizes I've seen for BeWeather3 were logged by jetsam when it was the largest process.)

And by the way, the 257 apps on your Home screen use zero RAM. The processes visible in the Task Switcher are the ones currently using memory, along with some widgets and other items that are harder to see.

This article, https://medium.com/flawless-app-sto...rint-and-oom-terminations-in-ios-a0f6bef38217 gives a good review of iOS memory management.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yes. iOS manages RAM using a process called "jetsam". When a process needs memory, jetsam will ask processes to compress or release memory. Failing that, it will kill a process. If a process hogs a lot of memory, you may see several jetsam logs in a few seconds, as it struggles to free up memory. I use music instrument apps that need a lot of memory, so I prefer to force-quit known memory hogs, especially browsers, regularly. (The high page sizes I've seen for BeWeather3 were logged by jetsam when it was the largest process.)

And by the way, the 257 apps on your Home screen use zero RAM. The processes visible in the Task Switcher are the ones currently using memory, along with some widgets and other items that are harder to see.

This article, https://medium.com/flawless-app-sto...rint-and-oom-terminations-in-ios-a0f6bef38217 gives a good review of iOS memory management.

Most apps in the app switcher do nothing but sit there. My point is, using BeWeather 3 is not going to hurt anything. I use several weather apps, along with widgets and other stuff that use RAM. All is well. Everything works as it should.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: BeWeather v3 (Beta) for iPhone

c8d6b1102a4c46f57edf2c3cdaa4726c.jpg

Quick ?, Does anyone know how often the actual widget on the home screen refreshes to show current temp etc? Yesterday I had to actually open up BW to have to home screen widget refresh to show current temps.

(side note: I’m on the beta)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Quick ?, Does anyone know how often the actual widget on the home screen refreshes to show current temp etc? Yesterday I had to actually open up BW to have to home screen widget refresh to show current temps.

My BeWeather 3 widget shows 46°. In the app, it shows 44° for same "Home" location name. But 48° for city name. Home and city should be the same temp. 48° is probably more correct. Other weather apps vary with temp and promptness of temp updates. If in doubt, I walk out on my balcony and see what it feels like.

Wait...now all the local locations in the app, as well as the widget say 49°.

Last edited:

happySun

Feb 20, 2020
Visit site

And I just had the opposite experience (non-beta). Opened the app, which failed to update. Home button, swipe to view widget, which updated. Back to app, which updated. As I've said before, there's a long-standing problem with updating the data for the current location. It may only occur when the location never changes. This iPad never leaves home.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

And I just had the opposite experience (non-beta). Opened the app, which failed to update. Home button, swipe to view widget, which updated. Back to app, which updated. As I've said before, there's a long-standing problem with updating the data for the current location. It may only occur when the location never changes. This iPad never leaves home.

Pretty much true of most weather apps. eWeather HD is very slow to update for me.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
My BeWeather 3 widget shows 46°. In the app, it shows 44° for same "Home" location name. But 48° for city name. Home and city should be the same temp. 48° is probably more correct. Other weather apps vary with temp and promptness of temp updates. If in doubt, I walk out on my balcony and see what it feels like.

Wait...now all the local locations in the app, as well as the widget say 49°.

ok thx Keith!

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

Sometimes it takes a moment for my app to update as well.

happySun

Feb 20, 2020
Visit site

Sometimes it takes a moment for my app to update as well.

When mine does not update, it does not update, not after a moment, 5 minutes, an hour. Some trick is required to kick it into life. Force-quit and immediate open seems to work, and now, accessing the widget. It always updates other locations immediately on viewing them, but not the current location. I'm just hoping to make the dev aware of this glitchy problem.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

Nope, however I have noticed that several different types of widgets that are not Apple widgets need refreshing from time to time. Hopefully the next update will correct this issue. I suspect the widgets in general are a work in progress and will continue to improve over time.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

Nope, however I have noticed that several different types of widgets that are not Apple widgets need refreshing from time to time. Hopefully the next update will correct this issue. I suspect the widgets in general are a work in progress and will continue to improve over time.

I have noticed that as well with the battery widget I use. I tried to just keep an eye on BW widget yesterday and it seemed about every hour it would change but then sometimes it would stall.

As you’ve stated hopefully in future iOS updates, app updates or both, this will improve!

Once again though I can’t express how thrilled I am to have a bw widget on my home screen!!! Isn’t it funny how the simplest things make us happy lol

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site

I have noticed that as well with the battery widget I use. I tried to just keep an eye on BW widget yesterday and it seemed about every hour it would change but then sometimes it would stall.

As you’ve stated hopefully in future iOS updates, app updates or both, this will improve!

Once again though I can’t express how thrilled I am to have a bw widget on my home screen!!! Isn’t it funny how the simplest things make us happy lol

Like me and my stopping & jumping clock widgets. Finally found one that works.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I think a lot of the issues that face widget development by 3rd party developers are the constraints Apple put on them. I hear this from developers. Apple needs to give them more to work with. Open it up for them, so they can make widgets, like weather and analog clocks, that work better. Not sure how Apple could help improve weather widgets though, as they're dependant on non Apple factors, like source, location, etc. It does seem to take longer for a weather widget to update the temp, as opposed to an app. The BeWeather app may say 48° for "Home", but the widget may take longer to update and say 45°. Not sure how that can be remedied, or if it's even important.

happySun

Feb 20, 2020
Visit site
I've noticed that some of the new widgets, particularly the Full, do not include the last update time. It would be useful if they all included the time. They do look very nice in general, though.

pfluger

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
I've noticed that some of the new widgets, particularly the Full, do not include the last update time. It would be useful if they all included the time. They do look very nice in general, though.

The last updated time was only added to the widgets that have the location information in small on the top. I think the widgets could still need some more polish so maybe we add that in the future.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro