Suggestions for Fitness Tracking without Subscription?

gregory_opera

Nov 1, 2018
Visit site
Can anyone recommend a high-quality fitness-tracking application that doesn't require a subscription? I don't mind paying for an application - but I don't want to be paying "$x" a month or year just to track my running and store said data on my smartphone.

Ideally I'd be looking for something that supports the "cheststrap" heartrate monitors (I plan to buy one in the near future), and sleep tracking would be "icing on the cake"... But the lack of neither is a deal-breaker.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Something like a Fitbit Ionic, Versa, or Charge 3 may be options to consider. They support fitness and sleep tracking, along with heart rate monitoring, which may help avoid the need to purchase a separate HR strap. The Fitbit app is quite detailed in what it can show.

As for a fitness-tracking application, I've used Endomondo for some years, and before that MapMyRide (both of which are now in the UnderArmor umbrella). While I do pay for a subscription, I think either app has some decent features and tracking capabilities, and get regular updates and support. Fibit integration with third-party fitness-tracking apps is possible.

If you wanted to go the all Apple route, then an Apple Watch works well for tracking fitness and workouts in combination with the iOS Activity and Health apps. I've used Endomondo in conjunction with Activity and Health apps, and if setup, Endomondo can write exercise/fitness data to the apps; thus enabling a detailed view into daily fitness tracking and overall health perhaps. Apple Watch does not have native sleep tracking, but I understand there may be some good third party apps that can do that.

Battery life and cost between Fitbit and Apple Watch may also be a consideration, with pros/cons for each as they in my experience both offer great capabilities and features.

gregory_opera

Nov 1, 2018
Visit site
There's some good suggestions there, @Trees... Thanks!

I used Endomondo a couple of years ago on Google's Android, so I might need to look at it again because it was pretty good back then...

I also discovered Polar Beat whilst I was riding the tram to work this morning; you need to purchase a Polar H10 Heart Rate Sensor or Polar OH1 Optical Heart Rate Sensor to unlock most of the features - but that's not a big issue because the Polar H10 Heart Rate Sensor is the "chest strap" type, which are renowned for being super accurate.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Nike Run Club & Nike Training Club are nice apps, as well, and are free. They both connect to the Apple Health app & will also track & sync data with your BT heart rate monitor.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks @nikkisharif ,

Nike have a special edition of the Apple Watch too, don't they? How is it different to the "regular" one?

You’re welcome & yes they do. I believe the only difference is the Nike watch faces, but I could be wrong. I don’t have a Nike Edition & the series 4 is my first Apple Watch. I’m still getting acclimated.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods