I can't find a free app that reminds me reliably of important appointments.

The built-in calendar and reminder app beep only once which I can easily miss. The built-in alarm clock app beeps long enough but it can only beep on a certain day of the week and not on a certain date next month. The app "reminders" only allows 3 appointments for free ... I have tested numerous apps (calenders, reminders, alarm clocks) but everyone has another disadvantage:

either it costs money
    or it peeps only once
    or it doesn't allow to enter a date
    or it requests an internet connection (which I don't have 24 hours a day)

Any suggestion for a suitable app?
    10-19-2018 02:13 PM
    I’m looking forward to seeing what gets recommended and which one you choose.

In the meantime, I recommend change the tone for a reminder or calendar event to one similar to a ringtone. Doing so, should not cause you to miss it, in my opinion.
    Annie_8plus and aximtreo like this.
    10-19-2018 02:38 PM
    In all the calendars and reminders I tested I looked carefully for "Options", 3 dots, a gearwheel or something like that hoping that some of my problems could be removed there. But I couldn't find something like that.

Where in the built-in calendar or reminder app can I change the sound to a ringtone?
    10-19-2018 03:12 PM
    In all the calendars and reminders I tested I looked carefully for "Options", 3 dots, a gearwheel or something like that hoping that some of my problems could be removed there. But I couldn't find something like that.

Where in the built-in calendar or reminder app can I change the sound to a ringtone?
    Settings → Sounds & Haptics → Reminder Alerts

Settings → Sounds & Haptics → Calendar Alerts
    10-19-2018 03:27 PM
    Wonderful, thank you.

My mistake was that I thought each calendar app "chooses" its sound. I didn't know that there is an iphone setting for all calendar apps.
    10-19-2018 04:14 PM
    The built in Reminders and Calendar app have always been rock solid for me whether the back end is Apple, Microsoft or Google.

Office 365 and commercial Google (G Suite) are rock solid reliable for millions and millions of people. The Office 365 Exchange Online component schedules and reminds our enterprise with around 750 people. It's as reliable with the built in Apple apps or the mobile Outlook client.

My suggestion to the OP is check settings if the built in software is not reliable and revisit the complaint about things costing money. Honestly, how well do you think your grocery bag or stuff like automobile use would be if it were all free?

If you do consider a commercial product and want reliability you can't forget stuff like Apple, Google and Microsoft serving so many millions reliably. I administer G Suite and 365/Azure. Even as a Google (Alphabet) stockholder I have to admit Google nowhere close to the league Microsoft's in when it comes to taking care of customers.
    aximtreo likes this.
    10-20-2018 12:45 PM
    Wonderful, thank you.

My mistake was that I thought each calendar app "chooses" its sound. I didn't know that there is an iphone setting for all calendar apps.
    You’re very welcome...
    10-20-2018 12:56 PM
    The major problem with the sound is solved. But while testing I found other problems:

The built-in reminder app shows in the list of appointments only the date of the appointment but not the weekday. Unfortunately weekdays are very important for my job.

The built-in calendar app shows weekdays but doesn't by default notify me of the appointment. I have to activate notification for every single appointment extra. It's only a question of time until I will forget this once which could have very negative consequences.

I tried other apps but either they have the same problems or they demand logins or internet access which I don't have 24 hours a day.

Does anyone know a reminder or calendar app that doesn't have those disadvantages?
    10-22-2018 05:40 PM
    The major problem with the sound is solved. But while testing I found other problems:

The built-in reminder app shows in the list of appointments only the date of the appointment but not the weekday. Unfortunately weekdays are very important for my job.

The built-in calendar app shows weekdays but doesn't by default notify me of the appointment. I have to activate notification for every single appointment extra. It's only a question of time until I will forget this once which could have very negative consequences.

I tried other apps but either they have the same problems or they demand logins or internet access which I don't have 24 hours a day.

Does anyone know a reminder or calendar app that doesn't have those disadvantages?
    We know the perfect solution will be recommended soon....
    10-22-2018 06:33 PM
    One minor problem I have forgotten: Sometimes I want to enter a time like 9:37 and many apps only allow me to enter 9:35 or 9:40 but nothing in between. But this issue doesn't have the highest priority.
    10-23-2018 04:30 AM
    We know the perfect solution will be recommended soon....
    It seems that you were overoptimistic.
    10-30-2018 05:40 AM
    It seems that you were overoptimistic.
    Not at all...
    10-30-2018 07:44 AM
    Should I give it up or is there any hope?
    11-13-2018 11:54 AM
    Should I give it up or is there any hope?

I'm thinking one of two options here:

1) What you are looking for may not exist

-or-

2) What you are looking for is going to be a paid/subscription app
    11-13-2018 02:22 PM

You can set default alert times in the settings. Not sure if that’s what you are after.
    11-13-2018 03:09 PM
    I didn't find settings in the built-in calender app. I just checked again: I only see a button for searching, a button for adding a new appointment and a button for showing the appointments of the day. Where can I find settings?
    11-13-2018 04:49 PM
    I didn't find settings in the built-in calender app. I just checked again: I only see a button for searching, a button for adding a new appointment and a button for showing the appointments of the day. Where can I find settings?
    Settings —> Calendar —> Default Alert Time
    11-13-2018 05:34 PM
    I thought you meant settings in the app. I didn't know that there were iphone settings for this.

I will keep on testing but I think your hint solved all my problems. Thank you.
    koalasprint likes this.
    11-13-2018 06:38 PM
    Unfortunately I have been glad too early. The solution of the second problem brought the first problem back.

In the settings I have chosen that I am reminded when the appointment arrives. Now the built-in calendar app only beeps once at that time which I can miss easily. In the sound settings I have chosen a long melody not only for the calendar sound but for EVERY sound that is listed there. But that didn't help: When the appointment arrives the app beeps only once.

Any ideas how to solve this in the built-in calendar app or does somebody know an app that definitely doesn't have this problem?
    11-14-2018 12:44 PM
    I'm not sure what calendar you use, so I'm going to share my set up. I use Google calendar, which I've set up in my stock calendar app on my other iOS devices. When I enter something on my calendar, I have the option to select the time for the alert(s). I can also schedule a 2nd alert if needed.
    11-14-2018 12:55 PM
    I use the calendar app that is installed on every iphone from the start. But I am open to suggestions.

Google Calendar I have tried too. It has the disadvantage that it only can be opened while having internet access which I don't have 24 hours a day.
    11-14-2018 01:09 PM