How many of you use third party Twitter apps because like me, you can’t stand the way Twitter handles content on their own app? Cool, because Thursday August 16, 2018 (two days from this writing), Twitter is disabled push notifications for all third party Twitter apps. This forces you to download the official Twitter app to turn on notifications if you would like to still receive push notifications. I find this abhorrent, Twitter doesn’t give you all the functionalities of users’ favorite third party apps, yet they are working to make them obsolete and unusable. I assume this will continue until, like Facebook, the only app you can use is the official one. A poorly curated list of tweets. Even turning on most recent doesn’t give you true most recent. Facebook doesn’t even show all your friends in your feed, and Twitter will likely end up doing something similar. Soon enough the apps will only be distinguishable by their design language. Leaving me no choice but to stop using Twitter as I have all but stopped using Facebook. Thank you corporations for assuming what your users want. What are your thoughts on Twitter’s drive to make third-party clients obsolete?
    ladyc0524 and ivanwi11iams like this.
    08-14-2018 10:20 AM
    Meh, I couldn’t care less for third party apps.

Thanks for sharing your 2 cents with us though.
    08-14-2018 10:25 AM
    I like the look of Tweetbot, but can't figure out how to do a few things. So, I use the Twitter app most of the time. It's improved a lot in the last year or two. I keep notifications off for Twitter anyway. When you have over 14,000 followers/following, they're too much. I do get notifications for a handful. I don't like how Twitter does a few things though. Like shadow banning. I haven't noticed Facebook putting limits or restrictions on 3rd party clients. I use Friendly Plus a lot with no issues. I particularly like the ad Block feature and the dark theme. Also the option to save most videos to my camera roll. Can't do that in the Facebook app. But, yeah, Twitter is trying to spoil using clients like Tweetbot.
    08-14-2018 11:04 AM
    I like the look of Tweetbot, but can't figure out how to do a few things. So, I use the Twitter app most of the time. It's improved a lot in the last year or two. I keep notifications off for Twitter anyway. When you have over 14,000 followers/following, they're too much. I do get notifications for a handful. I don't like how Twitter does a few things though. Like shadow banning. I haven't noticed Facebook putting limits or restrictions on 3rd party clients. I use Friendly Plus a lot with no issues. I particularly like the ad Block feature and the dark theme. Also the option to save most videos to my camera roll. Can't do that in the Facebook app. But, yeah, Twitter is trying to spoil using clients like Tweetbot.
    There are no third party Facebook apps. Friendly gets away with it by using the web login, same for all their services. It’s a go-to for the webpages. Not using API’s. It’s a clever workaround.
    08-14-2018 11:24 AM
    There are no third party Facebook apps. Friendly gets away with it by using the web login, same for all their services. It’s a go-to for the webpages. Not using API’s. It’s a clever workaround.
    Yep. But many more features and options than the web version in Safari. You can also get Twitter and Instagram on Friendly Plus.
    08-14-2018 11:40 AM
    08-15-2018 03:44 PM
    I feel for you, I really do, but this third-party massacre by Twitter is their first prerogative. It’s their service their rules.
    08-15-2018 03:48 PM
    I feel for you, I really do, but this third-party massacre by Twitter is their first prerogative. It’s their service their rules.
    It is, but it’s also how they ruin their platform and drive the user base away. Like Facebook did.
    08-15-2018 03:49 PM
    This is going to me stop using Twitter altogether. I despise the official app
    ivanwi11iams likes this.
    08-15-2018 03:50 PM
    If I were concerned about notifications, I would set up notifications with the Twitter app, but use Tweetbot.
    Tartarus and carrickfergus like this.
    08-15-2018 04:03 PM
    It’s more than notifications, they are removing a lot of functionality.
    ladyc0524 likes this.
    08-15-2018 04:42 PM
    It’s more than notifications, they are removing a lot of functionality.
    Not exactly a lot. A few things, according to the Tweetbot list.
    08-15-2018 07:19 PM
    To be fair push notifications don’t seem to have worked for me for ages on Hootsuite despite them being set up correctly so this change won’t affect me much.
    08-16-2018 11:42 AM
    I wonder about "Chirp". The 3rd Party Watch app....
    08-16-2018 02:59 PM
    Twitter is charging $2,899 per month for access to the new activity API and that only covers 250 accounts. I don't see how 3rd party Twitter developers can do that.
    08-19-2018 10:13 AM
    They can’t, and that’s the point. Twitter wants to kill off anything that isn’t their own software.
    08-19-2018 10:35 AM
    They can’t, and that’s the point. Twitter wants to kill off anything that isn’t their own software.
    So? There will always come something that’s better for in the place.
    MySpace went and Facebook came, many will follow.
    08-19-2018 10:40 AM
    So? There will always come something that’s better for in the place.
    MySpace went and Facebook came, many will follow.
    Yes, that’s what I’m waiting for now. Third party Twitter apps made this unnecessary. That’s the point of this thread.
    Tartarus likes this.
    08-19-2018 10:47 AM
    Well, I never knew this. However, I do not use notifications for anything social media.

Alas, if I am forced to use the default Twitter app, I will simply stop using Twitter (I hardly use it now, and I don’t own a Facebook account).

I understand that Twitter is trying to maximise advertising and such. But...
    08-19-2018 11:40 AM