Morning all,

As we all know, there are so many choices for apps, and such. I am curious if anyone has switched off iMessage and use a service like WhatsApp instead?

I merely considering it, to thus in the future give me a easy option to switch ecosystems (if I choose to).

I watched a video by MKBHD this week, on ecosystems, and it got me thinking. I guess it served its purpose. You know, some valid points were made about the ecosystem.
    07-01-2018 10:30 AM
    Morning all,

As we all know, there are so many choices for apps, and such. I am curious if anyone has switched off iMessage and use a service like WhatsApp instead?

I merely considering it, to thus in the future give me a easy option to switch ecosystems (if I choose to).

I watched a video by MKBHD this week, on ecosystems, and it got me thinking. I guess it served its purpose. You know, some valid points were made about the ecosystem.
    You can use WhatsApp next to iMessage. I’m doing that. iMessage for people from the US, and WhatsApp for everybody else. I’m in the Netherlands and have only friends both here and in Turkey that use solely WhatsApp.
    My biggest gripe about WhatsApp is that it compresses photos and videos and there is no setting to change that. For everything else it’s a good app.
    07-01-2018 10:35 AM
    True. Alas, I am thinking of merely having all traffic via one app, i.e. WhatsApp.

After all, I don’t use FaceTime (well, I don’t have friends and such who use it). So from an iOS standpoint it is only iMessage that has me ‘locked in’.
    07-01-2018 10:47 AM
    True. Alas, I am thinking of merely having all traffic via one app, i.e. WhatsApp.

After all, I don’t use FaceTime (well, I don’t have friends and such who use it). So from an iOS standpoint it is only iMessage that has me ‘locked in’.
    If you can get your friends to use WhatsApp, go for it.
    07-01-2018 11:15 AM
    I have some friends on WhatsApp from the "olden days", but my primary message app is iMessage since most of my friend are Apple iPhone users. My Android friend users are "green bubble" and I'm ok with that.
    07-01-2018 11:45 AM
    If it wasn't for international family and friends, I wouldn't even bother with WhatsApp. I would strictly use text messages
    Tartarus and Spencerdl like this.
    07-01-2018 12:42 PM
    If it wasn't for international family and friends, I wouldn't even bother with WhatsApp. I would strictly use text messages
    Yes, that does make a difference.
    07-01-2018 12:55 PM
    I only have WhatsApp installed because of 2 or 3 people in Australia that use it and have iMessage turned off. If they weren't important to me than I wouldn't have it installed and tucked away inside a folder on my phone. Aside from the fact that it's owned and operated by Facebook, the crippled and truncated media exchange is my least favorite thing about it. It gets a lot of praise and I find the app's UI to be terrible.
    ivanwi11iams likes this.
    07-02-2018 12:50 PM
    I have both apps. But honestly I mainly use WhatsApp.
    ivanwi11iams likes this.
    07-09-2018 08:26 PM