Apple's Find Friends App - Do you use it?

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I didn't really start using Apple's Find Friends App until a couple of years ago, when I was traveling with a bunch of friends. The majority of this particular group are Apple users, and we all decided to connect via Find Friends, so that we could find each other easily on our trip.

Since then, I've connected with a few family members and my husband, just to be able to find each other when necessary.

Fast Forward to this morning: one of my friends from that trip over two years ago emailed me from her office, saying: "Hey Annie, I THINK I left my cell phone home this morning, but don’t want to run home at lunch if I left it somewhere else. Can you check and see if it shows up at my house?"

So I checked, and it showed up, but not at her house. I emailed her back and said "Hate to tell you this, but it shows you on Kemper Road.... is that where you are?"

She emailed me back and confirmed that it was where she was, but she had torn apart her purse, looked between the seats of her van, etc.. and couldn't find it. So I emailed her back and said, sit tight, I'll call your phone.

After 3 rings, she answered, somewhat sheepishly. Rather than sticking her phone in her purse, she had stuck it in the outer pocket of her lunch bag!!! It had been with her the entire time!

She was so relieved, and begged me to never delete her from Apple's Find Friends App!!! I promised her I wouldn't!!! And I also have to remind her out to use find my iPhone as well, in case she couldn't get ahold of me! :)

Last edited:

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I follow my parents, my nephew and one friend on Find Friends.
My parents out of convenience and my nephew partially for security reasons.
And that friend because I added him to show him and never removed each other after that.
He actually one time showed up where I was because he was in the neighborhood and we had coffee.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I think it's awesome you're able to follow your parents. I hear stories every day about elderly people getting lost. If they had an iPhone with them, and it Find Friends or Find my iPhone was set up, it would be so easy to find them... kids too for that matter!

Last edited:

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I think it's awesome you're able to follow your parents. I hear stories every day about elderly people getting lost. If they had an iPhone with them, and it Find Friends or Find my iPhone was set up, it would be so easy to find them.

They are far from elderly though 🤣
They’re just 60. My mother may be home for most of the time but my father is quite active and he doesn’t like it when I call him and ask where he is. So to still be able to know where he is, I follow him on Find Friends instead.

A few years ago we were at a very large farmers market and got separated. Even if he would have told me where he was I wouldn’t be able to find him. Find Friends was really handy that day.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I have my wife and kids on it. Nobody else in the world needs to know where I am around the clock.

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
How does this compare to Find My iPhone ?

The wife and I do family sharing, so we use Find My iPhone to see where the other is.

I can see that she is home right now, and she can see that I am still in Nigeria :(

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
How does this compare to Find My iPhone ?

The wife and I do family sharing, so we use Find My iPhone to see where the other is.

I can see that she is home right now, and she can see that I am still in Nigeria :(

You don’t need the login credentials for your friends to follow them. They only have to accept the follow request once and that’s it.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
A little off topic here but has anyone ever gotten an inappropriate request on Find My Friends? For example, I once got an awkward request from a former colleague.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
A little off topic here but has anyone ever gotten an inappropriate request on Find My Friends? For example, I once got an awkward request from a former colleague.

Nope. I don’t think people willingly want to follow me. And they’re not smart enough to use this feature to avoid me, either 🤣

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

I'm happy to say I never have... and that would be a bit disconcerting. I think that FMF is great in the right circumstances. I think users should be careful on who they connect with!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't use Find My Friends. Not yet anyway. I did use Find My iPhone while at the hospital. My sister in law lost her iPhone, so I used Find My iPhone to locate it. She was hysterical, thinking she left it in a taxi. But it showed she left it at home. I use the Find My Family app some.
The app store link doesn't work for this app.
17159db36c4a355d262f83e60791052a.png

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro