Anyone know of a good camera app that replaces the stock app? Stock app is fine but i dislike the black bars on either side and would love if there was an app that uses the full screen or at least more of the screen then the stock app allows! On android its similar by default but the ratio can be changed in settings!
    12-20-2017 04:39 PM
    I’ve found that the Facebook Messenger camera uses the full screen, its extra steps but, it does the trick
    kcox52692 likes this.
    12-20-2017 04:58 PM
    None that I know of, sorry!
    12-21-2017 01:39 AM
    Anyone?
    12-21-2017 10:00 AM
    Photos are photos. If they're shown full screen, they're zoomed. Then you don't see all in the photo. This is especially true on the iPhone X. Who would want a tall skinny photo that doesn't show everything? Some camera apps, like ProCamera, offers the option to change the aspect ratio of photos. Some are close to full screen if not full screen. But using those aspect ratios will clip off some of the picture.
    12-21-2017 12:57 PM
    I’ve found that the Facebook Messenger camera uses the full screen, its extra steps but, it does the trick
    It does. ProCamera offers the same aspect ratio setting. But I'd still rather have the 4:3 default ratio size for most photos. It includes more in the photo.
    12-21-2017 01:05 PM
    It does. ProCamera offers the same aspect ratio setting. But I'd still rather have the 4:3 default ratio size for most photos. It includes more in the photo.
    It doesnt feel that way! I used 16:9 on my S8 and within the app itself looked better plus the photos looked better! Granted they were only ever being viewed on the phones display so i didnt do any sort of professional testing etc I prefered the results personally is all i can say
    12-21-2017 01:17 PM
    It doesnt feel that way! I used 16:9 on my S8 and within the app itself looked better plus the photos looked better! Granted they were only ever being viewed on the phones display so i didnt do any sort of professional testing etc I prefered the results personally is all i can say
    You can get 16:9 in ProCamera. Here's a comparison of 16:9

And the default 4:3

Both taken from the same distance from the subject.
    12-21-2017 02:23 PM
    You can get 16:9 in ProCamera. Here's a comparison of 16:9

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...a47194314f.jpg

And the default 4:3
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...81fbef61e1.jpg

Both taken from the same distance from the subject.
    Wow thats interesting! I never realised that or noticed that before!
    12-21-2017 02:40 PM
    Wow thats interesting! I never realised that or noticed that before!
    About the only smartphone camera I know of that possibly didn't crop photos for 16:9 was stuff like the Lumia 1020 because the sensor was circular and it was cropping out of that circle for each ratio. The best way is to just go 4:3 and crop it to show what you want anyway. (don't zoom other than the optical on a 7+/8+/X just crop after)
    Blaalad12 likes this.
    12-21-2017 05:00 PM
    About the only smartphone camera I know of that possibly didn't crop photos for 16:9 was stuff like the Lumia 1020 because the sensor was circular and it was cropping out of that circle for each ratio. The best way is to just go 4:3 and crop it to show what you want anyway. (don't zoom other than the optical on a 7+/8+/X just crop after)
    What’s an optical zoom?
    12-22-2017 04:34 AM
    What’s an optical zoom?
    It’s done using physical hardware rather than digital zoom, which is done using software. Optical zoom produces a much higher quality image.
    razza1987 and kcox52692 like this.
    12-22-2017 05:41 AM
    It’s done using physical hardware rather than digital zoom, which is done using software. Optical zoom produces a much higher quality image.
    So what’s the difference between using a digital or an optical zoom on the iPhone?
    12-22-2017 05:42 AM
    So what’s the difference between using a digital or an optical zoom on the iPhone?
    As I stated above the quality of the image is much better using optical zoom.
    razza1987 likes this.
    12-22-2017 05:43 AM
    How do you use optical zoom on the iPhone? If it’s hardware based do you have to buy special equipment for it? Sorry for asking so many questions. I want to know what was meant by only use optical zoom on the iPhone and not other zoom
    12-22-2017 05:45 AM
    How do you use optical zoom on the iPhone? If it’s hardware based do you have to buy special equipment for it? Sorry for asking so many questions. I want to know what was meant by only use optical zoom on the iPhone and not other zoom
    It’s automatic if your iPhone model supports it. Nothing you have to purchase as it’s built into the camera lens. For example, iPhone 7 Plus, 8 Plus and X all have 2X optical zoom. Any level of zoom up to and including 2X is done optically. Anything greater than 2X is done digitally. If you slowly zoom in on something in your camera app you’ll notice a sudden degradation in image quality the moment you surpass 2X zoom, which slowly gets worse as you continue to zoom in. This is because the zoom is being done using software and zooming in on pixels reduces image quality.
    razza1987 likes this.
    12-22-2017 05:54 AM
    It’s automatic if your iPhone model supports it. Nothing you have to purchase as it’s built into the camera lens. For example, iPhone 7 Plus, 8 Plus and X all have 2X optical zoom. Any level of zoom up to and including 2X is done optically. Anything greater than 2X is done digitally. If you slowly zoom in on something in your camera app you’ll notice a sudden degradation in image quality the moment you surpass 2X zoom, which slowly gets worse as you continue to zoom in. This is because the zoom is being done using software and zooming in on pixels reduces image quality.
    Thank you so very much for going into detail for me to explain. I very much appreciate it and will probably steer clear zooming in further than 2X in the future. Thank you so much
    12-22-2017 05:56 AM
    Thank you so very much for going into detail for me to explain. I very much appreciate it and will probably steer clear zooming in further than 2X in the future. Thank you so much
    No problem! Capturing a pixelated image is sometimes better than capturing no image but if you’re a stickler for quality like I am you’ll want to avoid going past 2X if you can. Still, it’s nice to have the option to zoom in further when needed.
    razza1987 likes this.
    12-22-2017 06:10 AM
    As a hobbyest photographer, I use ProCam 5, mainly for the manual settings. It's not full screen, but it does what I need it to do. I' not sure you'll find a "full screen" camera app.
    Blaalad12 likes this.
    12-22-2017 09:27 AM
    In theory yes but i would argue the difference is negligible! My S8 zooms digitally and the results are just as good! If you zoom in fully then there is indeed a loss of quality but iphone x is no different! Do a direct comparison and you will see for yourself that the difference is barely noticeable! Optical zoom on smartphone cameras is over rated and the optical zoom does not zoom in much anyhow! Ye can bring your camera 2 / 3 foot closer to the subject and get the same results! If you could zoom in fully optically then you would see a big difference but you cant!
    12-22-2017 09:50 AM