How do you weather?

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
It's been a year since I've replied in this thread so I need to update my reply. The weather apps that I use frequently on my iPhone X are as follows:

Weather Channel (Paid version). - The redesign is welcomed and the layout was made with common sense....:cool:

BeWeather 2 - Because of its access to numerous personal weather stations, it is still the most accurate, in my opinion.

Dark Sky - The alerts and rain accuracy is still top notch and the layout is getting there.

Wow...didn’t realize it’s been that long!! Here’s my updated breakdown.

Dark Sky - it’s extremely accurate to the street & I love the precipitation alerts.

Storm Radar - just as accurate as Dark Sky, plus I love that I can track storms for a few hours at a time.

Living Earth - I use this for my basic needs, plus the overlays are really nice.

NOAA Radar Pro - Extremely accurate and allows me to track storms as well as hurricanes. The hurricane tracker shows daily projections of the storm path, stage, & speed.

Weather Underground - I love the live videos, especially when there’s bad weather.

Windy - track wind direction and speed.

WTFORECAST - it’s hilarious!!

I have many more because I’m just a weather nerd like that I thought about Carrot but I’m not about to pay for an app/subscription that uses info from a free app. For me, accurate information is much more valuable that aesthetics when it comes to weather.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Wow...didn’t realize it’s been that long!! Here’s my updated breakdown.

Dark Sky - it’s extremely accurate to the street & I love the precipitation alerts.

Storm Radar - just as accurate as Dark Sky, plus I love that I can track storms for a few hours at a time.

Living Earth - I use this for my basic needs, plus the overlays are really nice.

NOAA Radar Pro - Extremely accurate and allows me to track storms as well as hurricanes. The hurricane tracker shows daily projections of the storm path, stage, & speed.

Weather Underground - I love the live videos, especially when there’s bad weather.

Windy - track wind direction and speed.

WTFORECAST - it’s hilarious!!

I have many more because I’m just a weather nerd like that I thought about Carrot but I’m not about to pay for an app/subscription that uses info from a free app. For me, accurate information is much more valuable that aesthetics when it comes to weather.

NOAA radar pro is great. Use it all the time.
I’m a weather nerd to do I’m going to check out a couple of your suggestions.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
It's been over 6 months since I last posted. Currently, I have 12 weather apps on my phone. Yes, this is a problem. I'm well aware! My preferred weather apps are Dark Sky, The Weather Channel (also paid), Storm Radar, and for a good laugh, WTForecast. I think Dark Sky is the best on my iPhone, but not so much on my Watch. Hopefully, that will improve. I like BeWeather but it doesn't update as it should, but I'm keeping it for now. I use Storm Radar and a local tv station's weather app when bad weather is imminent because the radar is superior to the others.

wolfee48

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
Last posted in this thread 13 months ago.

Still running Weather Underground as main weather app. Works flawlessly on my X and AW3.

For lighting tracking and alerts I use Storm Radar.

I've been contemplating trying out Dark Sky, but haven't pull the trigger yet. Wish there was a free version to trial before handing over $.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I forgot to mention besides switching from Dark Sky to Carrot, I also have the Weather Underground app. I did have the Storm app but it was discontinued or something like that according to the app so I switched to their main WU app.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
NOAA radar pro is great. Use it all the time.
I’m a weather nerd to do I’m going to check out a couple of your suggestions.

Let me know what you try and how you like it. I’m always curious to hear reviews from others.

Today Weather. Amoled friendly.

I haven’t heard of this one, I’ll have to check it out.

Last posted in this thread 13 months ago.

Still running Weather Underground as main weather app. Works flawlessly on my X and AW3.

For lighting tracking and alerts I use Storm Radar.

I've been contemplating trying out Dark Sky, but haven't pull the trigger yet. Wish there was a free version to trial before handing over $.

That’s how I feel about weather apps. I received my paid weather apps back when Starbucks use to give away free codes. Even though it was free for me, I would pay the one time fee of $3.99 for Dark Sky.

I forgot to mention besides switching from Dark Sky to Carrot, I also have the Weather Underground app. I did have the Storm app but it was discontinued or something like that according to the app so I switched to their main WU app.

Storm Radar is the new version of Storm.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Weather underground first choice ! Then the Met office (UK), I used to like Dark Sky for the radar sequences, but it was always bad at rainfall start and finish over here.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
BeWeather Pro was my go to weather app forever. I just deleted it. I’m tired of it not updating. I’m using Dark Sky now. I like maps and the rainfall/storm predictions are right on.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I use a few apps. Weather is important for my day job and passion for trail building and outdoor sports.

Dark Sky has been with me since the beginning but is a really disappointment lately via the new interface and mostly not remembering location for the last two updates.

Climendo is valuable. One must understand it before complaining about speed. It will aggregate multiple services and report which one has historical best and worst data.

Ventusky is a must for any fan of neat technology and it's a valuable tool.

Living Earth is a really neat implementation of Weather Underground data. The real time pic of the earth is as much of it as is the weather data but the data display is great.

Get to know and understand RealEarth. It has a mobile app but the www site is rather all important to really know what it's about. (https://realearth.ssec.wisc.edu)

For RealEarth you should start with and always consider the desktop display. You need to understand it has 500+ data layers to go on top of a Google map. Their mobile app is free and I usually use it with a storm total aka 4 day total precipitation layer. You can really better know how your outdoor activities might be when you know how much rain or snow has fallen up to 4 days past. I'm acquitted with one of the scientists who works on the project. The project is a gift to the public from the University Of Wisconsin Madison. The guy I know has done snowfall visualization, visualizing data from Nasa satellites, and made a personal layer showing snow accumulation at Nordic skiing locations.

MyRadar Pro has always been great. IIRC it's roots were in a glass cockpit data firm but it's evolved to have nice features and a good weather forecast. Some pilots I know really like it, and they sell specific layers for pilots.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I use a few apps. Weather is important for my day job and passion for trail building and outdoor sports.

Dark Sky has been with me since the beginning but is a really disappointment lately via the new interface and mostly not remembering location for the last two updates.

Climendo is valuable. One must understand it before complaining about speed. It will aggregate multiple services and report which one has historical best and worst data.

Ventusky is a must for any fan of neat technology and it's a valuable tool.

Living Earth is a really neat implementation of Weather Underground data. The real time pic of the earth is as much of it as is the weather data but the data display is great.

Get to know and understand RealEarth. It has a mobile app but the www site is rather all important to really know what it's about. (https://realearth.ssec.wisc.edu)

For RealEarth you should start with and always consider the desktop display. You need to understand it has 500+ data layers to go on top of a Google map. Their mobile app is free and I usually use it with a storm total aka 4 day total precipitation layer. You can really better know how your outdoor activities might be when you know how much rain or snow has fallen up to 4 days past. I'm acquitted with one of the scientists who works on the project. The project is a gift to the public from the University Of Wisconsin Madison. The guy I know has done snowfall visualization, visualizing data from Nasa satellites, and made a personal layer showing snow accumulation at Nordic skiing locations.

MyRadar Pro has always been great. IIRC it's roots were in a glass cockpit data firm but it's evolved to have nice features and a good weather forecast. Some pilots I know really like it, and they sell specific layers for pilots.

Thank you for the information. Never heard of a few of those.

I use Dark Sky and haven't had any issues with it knowing my location. Hope it stays this way.

For the average person I think a lot of these apps (my honest opinion) are overkill. RealEarth seems like something professionals, who may need this much information, would find helpful. I went to the website and didn't know where to begin. I downloaded the app and it was slow and needed to update constantly.

I want real information quickly and easy to understand. Dark Sky fits the bill for me.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Just want to verify before I purchase a membership. One of the premium memberships is required for Carrot to show on Apple Watch correct? I just got my Watch and couldn't find Carrot in the complications after I told the watch to sync all apps, but I'm also using the new AW4 infographic face and I think not everything supports that yet or something.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Nevermind looks like there is a basic complication I just had to actually go into the Carrot app on the watch to finish some setup routine for it to be available. I'm totally new to Watch so figuring this kinda stuff out still.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm still using BeWeather and eWeather. I have several weather apps but these two are my "go to" weather apps.

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I always used the Weather Channel app and loved it up until the more recent update where they made it a boring white-screened mess. Since that update, I absolutely HATE it and refuse to use it anymore. I uninstalled it from my phone (it's still on my iPad mini 2, which is still running iOS 10.3.1 and therefore, TWC app looks the same as it did before) and downloaded several free weather apps to see how they looked. Ultimately, I stuck with Yahoo Weather. I like the look and simplicity of it.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW