How do you weather?

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Well the hurricane tracking can be seen during any given active hurricane, open the app, expand the map then go to 'layers' which is actually 'Map Settings' and from there you can select 'Tropical Tracks' & 'Tropical Model Tracks' as well, so next time you open the app and expand the radar views you'll be able to see it or if you are actually in the path of the hurricane you won't even need to expand the view of the radar.

Thanks! I can't believe I missed that.

rayporsche

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
Storm is not as cumbersome as the Weather Underground main app, don't get me wrong I used both and paid for the ads free on both but I was really looking for a radar that included wind direction, storm tracks & fronts in a fast and easily accessible manner and what do know WU offered all of that with Storm, after a while I ended up using Storm and deleted the main WU app.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I’ve been using Carrot for two days now. So far so good. It’s accurate, funny, and the complication on the Watch is close to perfect!

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I use the stock app on my phone.
There are some weird guys I’m talking to that are too much into weather apps and because of their bugging I’ve installed WTForecast for whenever I want to share the weather with them.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
So I was all set to try out Carrot after reading that it uses Dark Sky (the other paid app I was debating with it) and then I read the comment that Carrot doesn't give you a map unless you pay extra? If that's correct guess I'm going to give Dark Sky a shot. I'm only going to buy one or the other and play with it alongside WU and Storm for a bit to figure out which one to go with day to day. I did figure out WU is currently buggy on my iPad (5th Gen with 11.0.1). If I open it, then go to say the notifications then back the app refreshes itself and the toolbar stuff at the top disappears. The space is still there but no icons.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
So I was all set to try out Carrot after reading that it uses Dark Sky (the other paid app I was debating with it) and then I read the comment that Carrot doesn't give you a map unless you pay extra? If that's correct guess I'm going to give Dark Sky a shot. I'm only going to buy one or the other and play with it alongside WU and Storm for a bit to figure out which one to go with day to day. I did figure out WU is currently buggy on my iPad (5th Gen with 11.0.1). If I open it, then go to say the notifications then back the app refreshes itself and the toolbar stuff at the top disappears. The space is still there but no icons.

The only reason I’m using Carrot and paid for the subscription is simply for the Watch complication.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Dark Sky is excellent when it comes to precipitation and notifying you when it’s about to rain, and that’s my primary reason for using it. Having said that, it lacks as an overall weather app, in my opinion. I prefer the layout of BeWeather 2 and it also excellent at reporting rainfall, thus the reason it’s my go-to weather app.

Last edited:

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
What do you think it's lacking? Just curious because right now I can only go by the screenshots on the app store and it shows current day, forecast, weather maps, etc. Carrot shows the same kinds of stuff but it sounds like a lot of that is subscription only. I do still have BeWeather 2 just looking to try something different for a bit since it hasn't been updated in 9+ months.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
What do you think it's lacking? Just curious because right now I can only go by the screenshots on the app store and it shows current day, forecast, weather maps, etc. Carrot shows the same kinds of stuff but it sounds like a lot of that is subscription only. I do still have BeWeather 2 just looking to try something different for a bit since it hasn't been updated in 9+ months.

With Carrot, you need subscription for current, hourly, and Daily notifications or alerts.
Also this is the only weather map that comes with the $3.99 app price.
9d8b3a13bc3875d92981d700e81d0ac8.png

If you want more layers or whatever, you need the subscription, which is $3.49 per year.
Update: The app price of Carrot just went up to $4.99.

Last edited:

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Which I guess in the big picture 3.49 a year isn't a big deal, but yeah I think maybe I'll go with Dark Sky for now since I don't have a Watch to make use of the better features in that area. Maybe I'll pick up Carrot around the holidays if I get an iTunes gift card or something :)

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I'm still using Weather Underground, probably because it's what I was using when I was on Android and just kept using it when I switched to Apple.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Yeah definitely going to give Dark Sky a try first. Found a recent YouTube video from August where someone bought and compared both. DS definitely seems more full featured vs. no subscription Carrot. Apparently you need the subscription to get severe weather alerts on Carrot.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah definitely going to give Dark Sky a try first. Found a recent YouTube video from August where someone bought and compared both. DS definitely seems more full featured vs. no subscription Carrot. Apparently you need the subscription to get severe weather alerts on Carrot.

Let me know how you like Dark Sky as I'm considering it as well. For some reason I still haven't found the perfect weather app but Storm is close.