Super Mario Run First Impressions!

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Super curious to hear first impressions of Super Mario Run! Does the game bring back a lot of memories for you, for all of the 'vintage' gamers out there? Or if you're a younger gamer, how does the game perform for you when comparing to your 3DS, Wii, or Wii U experience? Is it all you hoped it'd be, and more?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
It reminds me very much of the original Super Mario Brothers with the graphics of some of the newer versions of the game. I'm having a blast so far!

r3id

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Pretty good fun, Rally is good but a little annoying haha lost a load of toads 😡

Had it crash twice trying to link Facebook.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm having a ball. Brings me right back to the good ol' days.....when life was FUN!!!
No crashes yet. Game play is great.

afctee

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Visit site
...oddly enough, since I saw a social media video by @Bla1ze earlier, I've not tried it yet. A bit like the Apple Watch latest update. I'll wait a few days, and then maybe I'll try it.

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Downloaded it yesterday, but didn't get around to actually playing it until today. I think it's a great game, and pretty much what I expected it to be based on the pre release video. I do think I would like it better if it was not a runner, but it is what it is. It's worth the $10 for me, and I hope that Nintendo releases more games in the future.

On a final note, I think it is ridiculous and sad to see so many people leave one star rating for this game on the App Store because of the price. If you don't like the price, fine. Or, if there are things you don't like about the game, fine. But there is no way that this is one star material.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Works like a charm on my iPad mini 3. Fun game and if your a Nintendo fan from way back like I am, it's well worth the ten dollars!

Agreed. I know Nintendo has been taking a lot of flack. I agree that they priced it perhaps a bit too high. For the $10 I would have expected more levels and deeper gameplay. But still, no regrets on buying it. Beat the game already but there's still plenty of challenges to finish!

bbclare7

Dec 29, 2016
Visit site
I am really enjoying it but haven't purchased the full version. Although I think I will, my biggest hesitation is that the PvP (Rally) portion of the game seems too difficult to earn tickets. Where other mobile games refresh PvP every 2 hours (as an example) this one does not.

James, any thoughts since you beat it already? Are you still earning enough tickets to make the rally playable post-win?

Thanks!

duckduckgoose

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
I am really enjoying it but haven't purchased the full version. Although I think I will, my biggest hesitation is that the PvP (Rally) portion of the game seems too difficult to earn tickets. Where other mobile games refresh PvP every 2 hours (as an example) this one does not.

James, any thoughts since you beat it already? Are you still earning enough tickets to make the rally playable post-win?

Thanks!

You get a bunch of tickets when you purchase the game. I think it was 40 tix with purchase. Haven't had much time this week to play but still fun trying to collect more colored coins!

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

Thanks!

@bbclare - actually, I am still most certainly enjoying the game. Some thoughts:

I definitely have enough tickets to enjoy as many rallies as I like. I don't play the game a LOT, but I'll often open it up daily to play bonus games and collect tickets any way I can. I usually have between 70 to the max 99 tickets on hand, so rallies are always available.

Collecting coins has become a bit of an obsession. While I'm not doing as often as I used to, collecting all of the pink, purple and black coins is a fun way to keep playing the game too. I've completed each color coin on world one, and have finished the pink coins on most other levels.

Bottom line (for me at least) is I'm still enjoying the game. I suspect for most though, new worlds or challenges coming from Nintendo's side would be appreciated (i'd love that too).

bbclare7

Dec 29, 2016
Visit site
Thx for the thoughts you two. I did end up purchasing it and am still enjoying it too. I found that using coins for those yellow ? Blocks helps too. I have 2 blocks already and sometimes get 5 tix per day from each.

Seems like there is enough to keep me busy with it for a little while 😊👍