David vs Goliath - Apple vs Google Maps - One week in LA/Minneapolis

worldspy99

Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone.

Okay so here is my short review of Apple Maps (the upstart) versus Google Maps (the 800 lb Gorilla). My review is slanted simply because I am not wedded to any single platform.
I switch phones/tablets all the time.

My primary line is a WindowsPhone - yes it is a tiny fraction of marketshare but I am eccentric. Using a Lumia 950 with a Walnut Black Mozo Wood cover.

My secondary line is usually a device that I play with for a week or two and then move on to something else. Currently it is an iPhone 6s. I also have the LeEco Pro 3 sitting in a drawer and a sealed iPhone 7 which I am debating whether to open and use it or give it as a gift for the holidays to a family member.

My tablet line is currently in a Samsung Tab S2. I also have an iPad 2 and am looking for an iPad Air 2 to replace it.

My personal computer is a Surface Pro 3.

Here is my review of using the two mapping applications on the iPhone 6S in the Los Angeles Metro area and in the Minneapolis metro area and I-94 corridor between MN/WI in USA.

Apple Maps Plus points:

- Results seem to pop up really fast - a hair faster than Google Maps because of tight iOS integration.
- Directions and street names are spoken well.
- If searching for a business or establishment the results pop up nicely but seems like data is coming from multiple sources.
- Usage interface is quite nice but there are a few items that bug me - see section below for details.

Apple Maps Minus points:

- - Siri is a hit or miss for me so I am not going to belabor it. My wife cannot even get Siri to recognize or do anything despite training her iPhone multiple times.
- Driving time estimates are not as accurate
- Interface seems a bit disjointed, for example looking up a restaurant or review pulls data from Yelp. The pulled data comes through like the OG app and doesn't get translated to the design language of Apple Maps.
- Data is sparse in rural areas and zooming in doesn't tend to help.
- Rerouting options aren't as great as the other app in my experience.

Google Maps Plus Points:

- I like the interface and design. They have been consistent throughout years of development for various platforms. Looks and feels the same on iOS/Android/Computer.
- Can push directions from computer to phone
- Data integration using Google Search is bar NONE.
- Driving time estimates are scary accurate. I suspect Google has years of data on me and my driving habits and that gives it a huge leg up over Apple Maps.
- Information pulled up on business, restaurant etc is consistent across all platforms, the presentation does not seem disjointed.
- Street view integration is very well done.

Google Maps Minus Points:

- Looks lousy on the iPad. I actually switched to Apple Maps on my iPad.
- Siri integration is not present, but I am not too bothered by it.
- Option to choose no toll roads is buried and gets untoggled after each use, absolutely drives me crazy. This is true of Google Maps on any platform and I hate paying toll!

I am someone who likes familiarity/consistency, so I use Google Maps on the iPhone because it is very similar to the computer/Android interface. Driving times in horrbile LA traffic are important and Google Maps wins on this particular issue everytime - something to do with Waze integration and information on my personal driving habits. Search results have better and more detailed information thanks to Google Search.
As much as I want to use Apple Maps for my particular preferences Google Maps seems to work better.

Thank you for your time and I hope this helps in deciding which app is better suited to your needs.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2