Do you happen to use the Outlook app, [B]AND [/B]an Office 365 Exchange account?

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Do you happen to use the Outlook app, AND an Office 365 Exchange account?
Over the past few months, I've noticed that functions I perform on my iPad or iPhone, with the app (like delete emails, move, mark as read, etc.), don't sync over to Office 365. Thus when I open my Outlook 2016 application on my Windows desktop, I still need to perform the same functions again.

Thus far, I've reinstalled the app on my iPad and iPhone. I've also used the Reset option from within the app.

Any one else notice an issue?

Ecm

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: Outlook app and Office 365 Exchange

I use the Outlook app with 2 O365 accounts. Both work perfectly, though I had to manually set one up with the latest server address outlook.office365.com. For some reason it wasn't detected automatically.

I was told that the Focussed Inbox may cause issues when an unusually large number of messages are involved. If your using the Focussed Inbox, perhaps try turning that off and see what happens?

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site

...thanks for the info. I don't use the Focused Inbox option, and don't have large amounts of email in my Inbox (organized via folders).
I find it odd that this issue happens on the iPhone and iPad. Leading me to think the issue is the account.

Maybe I'll remove the account and manually add it back, and see what gives.

I use the Outlook app with 2 O365 accounts. Both work perfectly, though I had to manually set one up with the latest server address outlook.office365.com. For some reason it wasn't detected automatically.

I was told that the Focussed Inbox may cause issues when an unusually large number of messages are involved. If your using the Focussed Inbox, perhaps try turning that off and see what happens?

Ecm

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site

...thanks for the info. I don't use the Focused Inbox option, and don't have large amounts of email in my Inbox (organized via folders).
I find it odd that this issue happens on the iPhone and iPad. Leading me to think the issue is the account.

Maybe I'll remove the account and manually add it back, and see what gives.

I wonder if the issue may be with the desktop Outlook 2016? Have you checked the status of read/filed, etc on the web accessible page for your account? If it is syncing properly, that would point to the desktop.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site

...good point. I'll do some testing...

I wonder if the issue may be with the desktop Outlook 2016? Have you checked the status of read/filed, etc on the web accessible page for your account? If it is syncing properly, that would point to the desktop.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site

Deleted and moved a few emails from the app Outlook app, yet no update in Office 365 (confirmed via webmail).

Weird. I even closed Outlook 2016, to make sure. I then logged out of Office 365, and logged back in, same thing.
Almost as if the sync in the app is one way...

si001

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site

And if you try with the stock email app on your iPad and iPhone instead of the outlook app?

Ecm

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site

Deleted and moved a few emails from the app Outlook app, yet no update in Office 365 (confirmed via webmail).

Weird. I even closed Outlook 2016, to make sure. I then logged out of Office 365, and logged back in, same thing.
Almost as if the sync in the app is one way...

That is darned odd. Mine definitely syncs both ways, almost instantly.

New suggestion -- MS also makes an app "OWA for iPhone", that is specifically for O365 only. I tried it and it seems to work well, though reviews about it are mixed. It may be worth trying, Ivan.

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/owa-for-iphone/id659503543?mt=8&at=10l3Vy

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site

Brilliant tip! Tried this app, and I could literally see the emails move and delete, as I processed them via the OWA app.
Weird, that the Outlook app won't 'sync' two way.

That is darned odd. Mine definitely syncs both ways, almost instantly.

New suggestion -- MS also makes an app "OWA for iPhone", that is specifically for O365 only. I tried it and it seems to work well, though reviews about it are mixed. It may be worth trying, Ivan.

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/owa-for-iphone/id659503543?mt=8&at=10l3Vy

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site

Thanks for the tip. I avoid this with gusto! I want a true separation from Personal and Work. I don't even want to have a glimpse of work email, unless I open an app. Especially, if I've taken time off (I'm an IT Support Manager; people think I'm supposed to be 'on', 24/7/365).

Alas, I digress...

And if you try with the stock email app on your iPad and iPhone instead of the outlook app?

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site

I want a true separation from Personal and Work.

Same here! Once I step out of work my company issued phone gets turned off and doesn't get turned on again until I walk back into work. With that said, I was on vacation for a week during the summer and the alarm went off and I honestly told my boss that I never received the call when she was yelling at me for ignoring the alarm company's call.

Ecm

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site

Brilliant tip! Tried this app, and I could literally see the emails move and delete, as I processed them via the OWA app.
Weird, that the Outlook app won't 'sync' two way.

I want a true separation from Personal and Work. I don't even want to have a glimpse of work email, unless I open an app. Especially, if I've taken time off (I'm an IT Support Manager; people think I'm supposed to be 'on', 24/7/365).

Great, glad that worked for you.

And, I'm in a similar situation -- I keep my personal and business email in separate apps so I don't have to see the work stuff after hours and weekends!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2