Poll: Do you play Pok?mon GO in AR mode? Why or why not?

Rafagon

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
I?ve played around briefly with the AR mode but for my purposes the non-AR mode is perfect. I?ve read somewhere that if you?re in AR mode and you spot a Pok?mon, you cannot so much as turn around and continue your attempts at catching it because said Pok?mon will no longer be in your field of vision.

I like the non-AR mode because when I spot a Pok?mon and I?m under the full force of the Miami sun, I can usually walk a few feet forwards or backwards and end up in the comforting shade of a tree or building and continue the encounter there. Not only does my skin get a break from the direct sunlight, but the shade makes the iPhone screen much easier to see/read than when the sun is directly hitting it (even when I have the brightness turned all the way up).

Plus, I feel the AR mode unnecessarily wastes more battery by using the camera. And for what? To add a silly and tiny bit of ?realism? to the game?

Which mode do you use, and why?

Last edited:

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I think it's cool for the pictures, but I prefer to play without. Mostly since you can hold the phone the way you want and still catch them -- it's not dependent on direction.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I would say, the AR mode is better, simply because it makes the game feel more real and therefore more entertaining. But each to his own. I know it drains battery but its all about having fun at the end of the day #NotANewbieAnymore

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
It's cooler but I have it turned off. It's easier to catch the Pokemon and less drain on the battery.

abc1111

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
When I started playing, I played with the AR on and the app kept crashing or freezing. Switching the AR off solved the problem although I'm not sure if it is the AR or bugs in the game that was to blame. I'm happy playing without AR now and have no plans of turning it back on.

James Barrios

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
I play Pokemon Go in AR mode, cause i think it looks much more realistic. And so to appreciate the places around my city. :) Btw, I'm new here on iMore. :) :)

HotDiggy

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
I don't play Pokemon go in AR mode because I've gotten used to the normal background theme of when your capturing a Pokemon; I personally think that of your in AR mode you'll have to navigate your camera to face the Pokemon and some of the time people may have shaky hands that messes up their accuracy of catching the Pokemon. Nonetheless, I do prefer the non AR mode.

Ron7624

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I played in AR mode for the first week, but got tired of my dashboard in every picture- haha just kidding.
Every once in a while, I will switch I AR mode back on and then realize how hard it is to catch some of those critters in that mode.
I will switch it on for a picture every once in a while but that's about it.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2