Can you play Pokemon go without wifi

Can I play Pokemon go without wifi

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Can you play Pokemon go without wifi

Welcome to iMore! Pok?mon Go requires some sort of data connection so if you aren't connected to wifi you'll need to be using an iPhone or an iPad with cellular data.

krisbecker9

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site

How does this work without wifi? I actually wanted to download it but hesitant because of this reason. I won't be able to play it constantly if it requires wifi.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
How does this work without wifi? I actually wanted to download it but hesitant because of this reason. I won't be able to play it constantly if it requires wifi.

It works over cellular data, on an iPhone or iPad with cellular. It's the exact same way you write emails, check Facebook, or do anything involving the internet when you're not home.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
The app doesn't seem to use much data, which is good. But you'll definitely need some to be able to play the game. If you go with a friend, they may be able to turn their phone into a hotspot. Just charge the batteries completely and/or bring a power pack. The game does draw a lot from the battery!

Edward Robins

Jul 16, 2016
Visit site
I have and android phone and i'm playing pokemon go at home but when I go outside with data turned on it says no GPS even when i have turned on GPS

1nikki16

Jul 16, 2016
Visit site
It works over cellular data, on an iPhone or iPad with cellular. It's the exact same way you write emails, check Facebook, or do anything involving the internet when you're not home.

OK when I leave Wi-Fi range mine says "no internet connectivity" is it just telling me it's currently using data or is not working because I don't have Wi-Fi? It won't even load the game unless I have it. I think it's just my phone but I want to know the solution if there is one

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
OK when I leave Wi-Fi range mine says "no internet connectivity" is it just telling me it's currently using data or is not working because I don't have Wi-Fi? It won't even load the game unless I have it. I think it's just my phone but I want to know the solution if there is one

It will work without wifi but it does need data. So if your iPad or iPhone can load iMore without wifi, it will work. An iPod touch, for example, wouldn't work without a wifi connection because it doesn't have a data plan with it.

ajbovett99

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
It will work without wifi but it does need data. So if your iPad or iPhone can load iMore without wifi, it will work. An iPod touch, for example, wouldn't work without a wifi connection because it doesn't have a data plan with it.

I have data on straight talk on a 4s but I can't connect unless I'm on wifi

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I have data on straight talk on a 4s but I can't connect unless I'm on wifi

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense honestly. It should work as long as you have a data connection. The servers are busy with the weekend for sure. We have had some issues getting through both on LTE and wifi.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Can I play Pokemon go without wifi

No

Posted via the iMore App for Android

I can answer this post easily. It's hard to take part in the GO part of Pok?mon GO if you need a wifi connection. So, no, you do not need to be on wifi. This is also why T-Mobile is making Pok?mon GO data not count against the users data for a year if they grab the offer on T-Mobile tuesdays on the 19th.

As far as not being able to connect unless you're on wifi, I would recommend hard resetting your phone. If that doesn't work, try calling your service provider for network specific help.

Maximilian Olsson

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
That doesn't make a whole lot of sense honestly. It should work as long as you have a data connection. The servers are busy with the weekend for sure. We have had some issues getting through both on LTE and wifi.

I Am Playing Pokemon Go On An iPhone 4s And Every time Its starts loading IT laga Out this happens when I Have Internet

Wolfie Claw

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site

I just have a 10$ prepaid card and I don't wanna spend all my money because I need it for babysitting and other stuff when I go out and I wanna go for a long walk and catch Pokemon but I also don't wanna spend all day catching them over cellular data or whatever

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

I just have a 10$ prepaid card and I don't wanna spend all my money because I need it for babysitting and other stuff when I go out and I wanna go for a long walk and catch Pokemon but I also don't wanna spend all day catching them over cellular data or whatever

Welcome to iMore! If you go out walking you are going to need to use cellular data in order to play the game. Just like many other apps and games, Pokemon Go simply doesn't work unless you have a way to connect to the internet.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Understood. It actually doesn't use much data at all. I've played quite a bit and have just over 100mb data usage.

Chosen101ok

Jul 19, 2016
Visit site

So i haven't topped up my phone but i have switched on my data will the game still work if i do that?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox