What do you think about Subscriptions in the next version of the App Store?

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Well, what are we to make of app store 2,the subscription model ?
I predict a lot of small app developers going to the wall when everybody prunes all the apps we keep because we very occasionally use them. And of course don't download apps out of curiosity 'cos we know we'll forget to erase them, therefore losing the little ad revenue they do get. I know I could lose about 50% of the stuff on my devices and will if having it costs even more money !!

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Rene Ritchie did a great piece about this on Wednesday...

App Store FAQ: What developers and customers need to know! | iMore

My feeling is just because developers CAN charge a subscription does not mean that they WILL charge a subscription. I think the real money is STILL in "in app" purchases. Gems, diamonds, extra moves, spins, etc THAT is where they make money. Sure the game is free, BUT if you want to WIN you got to buy a few gems only .99 cents, etc you KEEP buying those gems, and those 99s all add up to LOTS and LOTS of money. Supercell, King, Etermax, are laughing at us all the way to the bank!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
This could fizzle or be far reaching. I'm sure Apple will have guidelines in place to prevent abuse. I don't have any subscription apps. None. I plan to keep it that way. That said, most of my apps are paid apps.

Binged

Jun 10, 2016
Visit site
I think it depends on the app type. Games people are willing to pay for gems, diamonds etc (pay to win). For productivity / business apps, the good ones people will pay for or pay a subscription fee. Entertainment apps there's a lot of competition and a lot of free apps out there, ads might make sense here.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I think it depends on the app type. Games people are willing to pay for gems, diamonds etc (pay to win). For productivity / business apps, the good ones people will pay for or pay a subscription fee. Entertainment apps there's a lot of competition and a lot of free apps out there, ads might make sense here.

Exactly there is room for multiple revenue models.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Rene Ritchie did a great piece about this on Wednesday...

App Store FAQ: What developers and customers need to know! | iMore

My feeling is just because developers CAN charge a subscription does not mean that they WILL charge a subscription. I think the real money is STILL in "in app" purchases. Gems, diamonds, extra moves, spins, etc THAT is where they make money. Sure the game is free, BUT if you want to WIN you got to buy a few gems only .99 cents, etc you KEEP buying those gems, and those 99s all add up to LOTS and LOTS of money. Supercell, King, Etermax, are laughing at us all the way to the bank!

Exactly THIS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2