Anyone use Airmail?

truenorthstrong

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
How is it after the recent update?

Is it worth the purchase?

I know that before people mentioned that it was very buggy but it had great options and it doesn't store your private information such as your emails on their server.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I tested it out a few weeks back when it became available for the iPhone, and although I liked it, I was having sync-related issues with it. I haven't tested the iPad version that was introduced earlier today, however. I'm actually using the native Mail app on my iPad Pro while still using Microsoft Outlook on my iPhone.

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I do like that it is push for Gmail. I've been using it on my iMac for several months with no problem, but when I tried it on my iPhone it seemed to cause a battery hit.

dictoresno

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm beta testing it for Mac and iOS. It's really nice and replaced my stock mail app for a few days. They have a huge beta following and the devs will add you to their slack channel for live conversations/questions/feedback and answers. Plus the beta may not cost you anything. I still have sync issues (if I check a message in the mail.app it won't sync as read in airmail or there's a huge delay. But I've had the same issue with spark mail app too. I liked them enough to buy them and don't regret it. It's still a work in progress. The devs are very quick with responses and feedback requests. Ask to join their beta.

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm a self confessed third party productivity app addict, so after reading Frederico Viticci's review (see link below) and having used Airmail on OS X in the past I had to give it a try.

I'm using on my iPhone and iPad, and love the extended third party app integrations (calendars, storage, task managers etc), it is highly customisable and can do almost anything.

If eye candy more your game, I'd look at Spark from Readle. If you are in a professional environment with Exchange, try outlook. To be honest, the stock standard Mail.App option is still highly viable and does a good job, and continues to get better. Good to have choices, however right now I actually have all installed on my iPad (yep I'm crazy).

Anyhow back to Airmail, for me it does everything that I need and has proven to be rock solid and highly reliable. If it wasn't for the odd choices of design in Spark on the iPad, I wouldn't have bothered to check out Airmail. Also if you are a keyboard user, as I am now with the Smart Keyboard Cover, Airmail allows you to customise what the arrow, return & delete keys do, meaning a email workflow where you don't need to touch the screen to open, read, action or archive/delete emails.

Link to review - https://www.macstories.net/reviews/with-version-1-1-and-an-ipad-app-im-switching-to-airmail/

Chuck_IV

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
So I purchased this and really like it but 2 things are currently keeping me from using it right now. One is it only has options to use their notification sounds and not system sounds. I am so used to a specific mail sound that I have always used and can't with this. Plus their sounds seem low volume to me. 2nd is their watch app hangs when trying to read/reload the list after reading. They have confirmed this issue and are working on it.

The one other things that bugs me a bit is their notifications seem slow. I did some testing with the built in mail app and when I send something, I am hearing the notification sometimes 30 seconds or more before Airmail notifies me. I don't know if this is because the Apple mail program just has deep hooks into the system or if this has something to do with the way Airmail handles dealing with Outlook.com.

Otherwise, I really like the flexibility. Hopefully they get these two things corrected/updated soon.

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
Anyone have an idea of how to disable colours in emails when forwarding? I'm regularly seeing the text of messages forwarded coming through as all magenta/pink, not the best in a business context.

Also I'm seeing very laggy typing when forwarding messages with an extended thread within.

Not sure if it's just me. TIA.

Chuck_IV

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
At times it is slow because there is something not right with the way they handle background processing.

Sometimes when I receive mail notification and I open the program, the message is there waiting for me. But other times, while it notifies me of new mail, when I enter the program(even well after receiving the notification), nothing is there. I have to sit and wait as it downloads the messages.

It's like it forgot to do the background processing when it receives some emails. It's not all the time though.

Frustrating.

truenorthstrong

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
At times it is slow because there is something not right with the way they handle background processing.

Sometimes when I receive mail notification and I open the program, the message is there waiting for me. But other times, while it notifies me of new mail, when I enter the program(even well after receiving the notification), nothing is there. I have to sit and wait as it downloads the messages.

It's like it forgot to do the background processing when it receives some emails. It's not all the time though.

Frustrating.

Ya I don't think it's worth the price for now.

Chuck_IV

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
It probably isn't right now. It is just a bit too buggy for me.

There are 4 things that if they fix, I will be all in...

1. Fix the background processing so messages are there waiting for me every time.

2. Conform to the system font size or at least give us sizing options for the message list. Text in the message list and viewer are too small for me.

3. Something isn't right with their connection to Outlook.com. I have had incorrect message counts on the icon or I'd get the notification sound and banner(as well as on the lock screen) but no badge notification unless I opened then closed the app. Using my Gmail account, things seem fine. It's specific to Outlook.com.

4. Allow us to use system sounds vs just a list of sounds they provide.

This program is so close to being what I want but just not yet. I'm back to the iOS mail for the time being.

Last edited:

Chuck_IV

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
Anyone have any idea when they will finally release another update to this program?

I really want to use this, as it has features I love(plus, I paid for it), but in its current state, it's just too buggy to use on a daily basis.

I don't understand why they are dragging their feet in fixing a lot of these bugs either. 2 months between updates is way too long. They need to be releasing more frequent interim bug fixing releases in between major updates. They currently aren't doing this and it's annoying.

Chuck_IV

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
If anyone is curious, this app was finally updated today with a bunch of new features(including adjustable fonts).

Seems more stable now and so far so good on notifications. They still only limit you to a list of sounds they provide and you are not able to use anything else.

I'll put it through some work and see how it goes.

Chuck_IV

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
Well it looks like the background processing still is a mess. Looked at the icon and it said I had 3 new messages. Opened the program and then 7 more suddenly appeared.

This what was happening in the prior release that they inferred would be fixed in this release. Background processing just doesn't seem to be working at times and it makes this program annoying to use at times.