https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/h!cl...mUvbUpU2528669

Hi everyone! I'm here to pick your brains. We are a team of four behind HiClub, our "firstborn" iphone app – a free social network for — and that's where we get stuck. Our original intention was to create a tool for reviving old-school conversation as opposed to text messaging that seems to have taken over. We thought all we had to do was create an app that will pair people up as long as they speak the same language and are in the same timezone and allow them to indulge in a voice-based conversation. Turned out, few people are interested in talking for the sake of talking (fair enough!), so we pivoted towards dating and matching. That didn't feel like our thing, and we found the vertical is kinda stigmatized and it's hard to co-brand and get exposure because dating business is generally looked down on. So we pivoted once again and decided to target people looking for networking, and also potentially language learners looking for language exchange opportunities with native speakers.

It feels like the wrong kind of strategy though — trying to be everything to everyone instead of having a clear purpose and targeting a clear market. So far it's easy to do because HiClub is a minimum viable product — we are hoping to get our early adopters to co-create with us and define the app's future. Still, retention is very low and the feedback we're getting consistently shows people are confused about what we are and what we offer.

For now our strategy is just approaching people individually and asking for feedback/ideas/suggestions/constructive criticism. I know there's a bunch of people who are passionate about iOS and iphone apps here on imore, so it would be of tremendous help if you guys could have a look and share your thoughts and suggestions based on the background story I've shared — I'll be super thankful for any comments. TIA

itunes link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/h!cl...mUvbUpU2528669
    Last edited by hiclub; 06-01-2015 at 06:17 PM. Reason: clarified the feedback request
    06-01-2015 03:48 PM
    Welcome and thanks for bringing your app to IMore, looks to be very interesting. Please take a moment and read App and Developer Forum Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums . Thank you.
    06-01-2015 04:35 PM
    Kataran, I read it (twice) prior to posting. If you spotted something I'd missed, could you please point that out? I'd be happy to fix it. Thanks!
    06-01-2015 04:40 PM
    No your Post is within the guidelines and I'm hoping many of our members give it a try and provide helpful feedback

Good Luck
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    06-01-2015 04:59 PM
    Good luck with your app! Thanks for sharing!

06-01-2015 05:32 PM
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/h!cl...mUvbUpU2528807

..... we don't advertise our app, which enables us to approach people individually and ask for feedback/ideas/suggestions/constructive criticism. ...
    itunes link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/h!cl...mUvbUpU2528807
    Aren't you advertising your app right now, especially when posting on a forum is not approaching people individually?........I'm just messing with you. Good luck with your app.
    06-01-2015 06:04 PM
    Thanks everyone for your kind wishes. I just realized that asking for feedback "in general" is not going to get me too far and is indeed perceived as "polite" advertising. I will edit my original post to clarify the biggest question we have and hopefully that will help me get more specific feedback on the app.
    06-01-2015 06:09 PM
    Thanks everyone for your kind wishes. I just realized that asking for feedback "in general" is not going to get me too far and is indeed perceived as "polite" advertising. I will edit my original post to clarify the biggest question we have and hopefully that will help me get more specific feedback on the app.
    You don't have to change a thing. I told you I was just messing with you. If you were in violation of anything, you would have known by now.
    06-01-2015 06:12 PM
    Welcome, best of luck with your app.
    06-01-2015 06:17 PM
    Welcome to iMore. Good luck with your app.
    06-01-2015 07:46 PM