Google photo app

stepchild

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I know you are not quoting me, but I'll tell you my situation. I have no photos in camera roll. I can view them in google photos app. But they show as storage on my phone.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I know you are not quoting me, but I'll tell you my situation. I have no photos in camera roll. I can view them in google photos app. But they show as storage on my phone.

Do you have iCloud Photo Library turned off? Do you have deleted photos in the Recently Deleted album?

stepchild

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I have iCloud photo library turned off. And the photos in my camera roll are deleted totally.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

stepchild

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
No in the storage area the photos camera without any photos in the camera roll doesn't even show.

stepchild

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
When the photos move from camera roll to google photos and then I delete all the photos in camera roll Google photos still increases by the amount that was moved from the camera roll. If you have the app give it a try.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
When the photos move from camera roll to google photos and then I delete all the photos in camera roll Google photos still increases by the amount that was moved from the camera roll. If you have the app give it a try.

I did. I uploaded over 200 photos to Google Photos. The app size increased by only 24 mb. I turned off "back up and sync" in the app's settings. It also shows photos from Google+ and I don't know where. I don't use Google Drive.

stepchild

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Yes I deleted everything in the camera roll the deleted items everything there is no photos in my photos area.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

OK. I did that. But Google Photos only increased by 31 mb. I deleted 260 photos. Those plus a bunch more are in the Google Photos app. Are you turning off "back up and sync" before you delete from the camera roll? I do have 199 gb still in photos in settings. Part is the camera. Some may be old deleted photos that expired from the Recently Deleted album. But that doesn't explain your issue.

tanson1011

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
I have my stock camera roll. I use iCloud photo whatever it's called. All my photos in my phone are optimized to save storage.

Don't think any of that matters anyway. Google photos I thought was a cloud service. Don't see how it's using so much space. No point in using it. It's like having 2 camera rolls on my phone. Defeats the purpose.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have my stock camera roll. I use iCloud photo whatever it's called. All my photos in my phone are optimized to save storage.

Don't think any of that matters anyway. Google photos I thought was a cloud service. Don't see how it's using so much space. No point in using it. It's like having 2 camera rolls on my phone. Defeats the purpose.

I just uploaded 260 photos to Google Photos. Turned off "back up and sync", then deleted all the photos from my camera roll. I have 0 in camera roll. The Google Photos app is about 114 mb. The app is 67 mb. There's 47 mb in document and data. So I am saving space. But although it does a few cool things, I prefer Box. Not sure what the 47 mb of doc and data is. If it's cache, I don't see any way to delete it. I could try deleting the app, then reinstall it back and see what happens. All my photos are backed up in Box. Not worried about those.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I deleted the app. Then reinstalled it. The photos are still there, but the cache went down from 47 mb to 10 mb. So everyone may be seeing cache. The app needs the option to delete cache. Box has that option. Dropbox does not. I don't think OneDrive does. Google Photos does have a few cool features. And you will save some space. But not as much as they want you to believe. You'd have to delete the app regularly to get rid of cache. Bummer. I do like that I can mark 214 photos and download them all at once back to the camera roll. Other cloud apps is one pic at a time. Good points and bad points.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Using the app Battery Doctor will clear most of the cache. I just tested it.

Yanik Photo

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I thought Google Photos was a cloud storage service only.
I'm not sure what it does but my Camera Roll has 8GB of photos and Google Photos has over 23GB!!!!
I don't see what'S the point of this app. It does the opposite of what it's supposed to do.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I thought Google Photos was a cloud storage service only.
I'm not sure what it does but my Camera Roll has 8GB of photos and Google Photos has over 23GB!!!!
I don't see what'S the point of this app. It does the opposite of what it's supposed to do.

If those photos in your camera roll have been uploaded to Google Photos, turn off the upload/sync in Google Photos. Then delete them from the camera roll. Then delete the Google Photos app and reinstall it. It is accumulating cache. Deleting it will get rid of it. Hopefully Google will either fix that or add a delete cache option.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner