How Many Game Apps are Actually Successful?

markbw13

May 28, 2015
Visit site
All the blogs I read and vlogs I watch make it look like getting into the gaming app world is as simple as one, two, three and you will be an instant millionaire....question is what percentage of game apps are actually successful and make money?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Addictive, IAP's, and exposure.

Ninja Edit: As far as a percentage, I have no idea. That would depend on what you call successful, being in touch with the developers, knowing exactly how many game apps there are, and math.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Not many % wise BUT still a lot. Quality, uniqueness, fun'ness, marketing and luck all help. A large % are missing on one or more. I would say IAPs, making game addictive and to some degree the amount of marketing relate more to maximizing revenue but not whether or not you can be successful as a solo dev. If you want top of the charts, that's your path. With a solo or small team your definition of success can be easier to attain then top grossing.

markbw13

May 28, 2015
Visit site
What marketing companies would you suggest? They all seem to cost a ton of money....but I guess you have to spend money to make money. Any suggestions?

warement

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Not many % wise BUT still a lot. Quality, uniqueness, fun'ness, marketing and luck all help. A large % are missing on one or more. I would say IAPs, making game addictive and to some degree the amount of marketing relate more to maximizing revenue but not whether or not you can be successful as a solo dev. If you want top of the charts, that's your path. With a solo or small team your definition of success can be easier to attain then top grossing.

I am agreeing with scatabrain

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
What marketing companies would you suggest? They all seem to cost a ton of money....but I guess you have to spend money to make money. Any suggestions?

If you're an indie developer or small company I'd suggest trying to do your own marketing rather than employing an agency at least in the first instance. They're just too expensive. Personally, my company has never spent a cent on either agencies or ads.

There are some great books around that will give you heaps of ideas (for under $10 each if you get them in eBook form). Though obviously it will take some effort to implement the strategies. Even if you decide to go with an agency later on you'll have a much better idea of what they're offering after getting clued up yourself.

My two personal favourites are:

Appreneur: Secrets to Success in the App Store by Taylor Pierce. (It's a few years old, but still relevent - written by an app consultant).

Mobile App Marketing And Monetization by Alex Genadinik. (More recent release - written by a developer about their own experiences and methods)

GrumpyRhinoGames

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
I guess it depends mainly on your measure of success and how a big a company you are - the most important thing is to balance the books. An indie developer may be over the moon if they make 100k from a game, whereas for a 15 man team that could be a very large loss.

If you get featured by Apple or go viral for a bit, chances are you'll make some good money - but you can also make money by making a good game, updating it, listening to feedback and growing it slowly. The second way takes time and work, but it's sure to make money if done properly.

Once you've had a successful game it's easier to get successes on future games as you have an engaged audience and app stores are more likely to take note of you.