So I've updated my iOS iPhone Word and Excel apps today as they are supposed to now be able to open and save to ICloud but I cannot for the life of me get this working!

Within word and excel I've allowed both access to iCloud and under iCloud Drive in settings both apps are turned on. If I choose open and then more and iCloud I see my folders but everything seems grey out and when I tap on a file I cannot open it. Nothing happens! I've tried creating a plain document in pages with just two words and saving it to iCloud and again within word it looks to be greyed out and although the doc appears in the iCloud folder within word it doesn't open!!

Also I cannot even get the option to save to iCloud from word or excel! When choosing a save location I only get the iphone, onedrive or add service and that again only lists onedrive or sharepoint and when saving it doesn't even show iCloud as an option and it doesn't even show the more... Option when saving so no idea!

Any help? Has anyone got word or excel saving to iCloud from the iPhone app and have you managed to get them to open docs created in pages or numbers and saved to iCloud?

Thanks if you can help!?
    02-17-2015 07:32 PM
    To clarify...

Within WORD / EXCEL I can tap open and then more... And then iCloud and then see my folders and documents but they seemed greyed out and don't open when I tap them.

When saving documents i don't have the option to save to iCloud. I only have Places or Onedrive and iPhone and lastly to add a service when in turn only offers onedrive and sharepoint so there's no option to save to iCloud.

I created a new document in Pages with just two words and saved it to iCloud and although Word can see the file in the folder on iCloud it seems greyed out and won't open. I then successfully create a file in Pages and choose to open in Word and that works it then have no option to save to iCloud.
    02-17-2015 07:50 PM
    From what I gather, you can access certain folders that are in your iCloud Drive via the Word app, but unless they are docx files, you cannot open those files. Furthermore, I'm not even sure if you can use the Word app to save to your iCloud Drive. I don't have Excel installed but I *assume* the experience is the same.
    Darran likes this.
    02-17-2015 08:03 PM
    From what I gather, you can access certain folders that are in your iCloud Drive via the Word app, but unless they are docx files, you cannot open those files. Furthermore, I'm not even sure if you can use the Word app to save to your iCloud Drive. I don't have Excel installed but I *assume* the experience is the same.
    Thanks! There's not a lot of help online and the help within the app is non existent! Perhaps it's the fact like you say that Pages isn't saving to iCloud Drive in a compatible format.

All the reviews I've read state that word and excel can not save to iCloud as well as read from but I can't get this to happen so I wonder if one of the websites got it wrong and the rest have just followed their lead. With iOS devices and apps there's nothing that will cause a variation between units unlike a PC so I can't imagine it's just mine that doesn't allow saving to iCloud.

I do think it's really poor that if you save a document to iCloud using Pages regardless of whether you chooses the .page extension or even the specific word file save as feature it won't open in word by selecting the file on iCloud BUT if you choose the open in option within Pages it opens perfectly within Word or Excel!
    02-18-2015 12:01 AM
    Any luck anyone? It states in the description on the App Store that you can't open and save direct to iCloud but I cannot for the life of me save to iCloud. There's just no option that allows you to save to iCloud. All I get is the option to save to my iphone or onedrive or add a service which is only Dropbox or sharepoint url
    02-19-2015 11:35 PM
    Right I think I've worked this out for anyone else having the same problem...

So I wanted to created a new word doc or excel spreadsheet on my iphone and save it to iCloud. The answer is this cannot be done! When they say you can open and save to iCloud they mean if you already have a word doc stored in iCloud and it's of the most basic word or excel file types then you can open this in word or excel by tapping more then iCloud then the pages folder and then your word document for example. When it comes to saving it you have no choice but to save directly back to that file and location much the same as a file>save. The problem is that if you want to create a new file in office iOS and save to iCloud you cannot! You can only open and save back to a file already in iCloud which means to use iCloud you need to also use pages or numbers to create the file then you must choose send to... And then for word you need to select the word output type and do not then open that document in pages as it immediately converts it back to an unsupported word file type and word cannot open it if you try it. Basically you send to... Then choose word and then go and open iOS word and navigate to iCloud and open the doc you created and converted in pages. Once you've edited you press the back arrow and it just auto saves to the iCloud file location with no other options like naming. If you then open that file in pages again you will then have to convert in to word using the send to.. Function! All in all a completely waste of time and not really full icloud open and save functionality. It's all a bit of a fudge to get working. From such a big company like MS Id have expected at the least the option to create and save to iCloud and also to be able to open any file type created in pages or numbers for example.
    02-20-2015 12:02 AM