Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
6ee093687070423648f8b13ffda0a154.jpg

Wow, hitting you now!

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
You shouldn't have a problem with surge. That will be on the other side of the island. Hopefully, it won't too bad.

Yes. - the East coast is our Lee Shore & all which goes with.....after passage of a system if there is a residual westerly flow for a day or so when the system moves out into the Caribbean Sea, it can get rough here with undercurrent issues. But surge if any is minimal. We did lose most of our beach post 'Harvey' Aug 2017 though. But it was back within a month -Then Maria took it away again..

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Get to safety and be safe.

All concerns noted and gratefully appreciated. I'd think there is material to open a thread about the upside and downsides of tropical life, one which wouldn't include ads for 'Sandals Resorts' and the like as they only relate to one side of island experience and culture. Yes, especially with the trickledown of climate change, a few of the downsides have indeed gotten worse, but we are still talking 'a few' brief encounters ( yep - I know it takes but one....) with storm threats. When compared to Midwestern Tornadoes, or West Coast Earthquakes, or some of the Blizzards which are factors up north, I think we do pretty well in general by comparison -Yes, we are realistically small and isolated which really can limit recovery and rescue resources, and one would be very naive to think that beach parties, calypso music and good rum are even a main day to day focus other than for vacationing tourists. In reality, economic issues are generally more frequent stressors than weather.....
From the point of view of this forum, the tools discussed & debated with vigour for communication and awareness are so so much improved, even over the last decade, that simple situational savvy provide a comfort zone of available information and available options when things start to look sour. Tomorrow ( or maybe Wednesday at worst) I'll go back to a couple of hours pushing a lawnmower, then it's Kindle App & hammock' time

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Do these photos in specific threads change? I've had the same photos for a while. I thought they was supposed to change with the most recent photo post. They use to.
2adf83ff6a75b4b1f8bc2f3c3313f86d.jpg

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
They're making it difficult for image posting as well. Unless you pay them each month, they'll cap how many images you can post, and limit the resolution to a lower quality. They offer VIP+ now. It's $2.99 a month. Here's the benefits:
d391650a1e03f257e3d52ce49603e60f.png

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
If I have to pay, then I’m out!

Well...........bye.

But leave your fries.

Seriously, app development is very labor intensive, especially on multiple platforms. Ads help developers keep updating. If I can support them on an app I like using, AND get rid of ads, then it's a win - win for me.

EVERYTHING is moving to subscription based platform. Office 365 is already. Microsoft will move completely to that platform soon. Apple will when they realize how much money they are losing out on.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Paying for my VIP years ago was the best thing I ever did. I don’t pay often in apps but for this one I did.

At least you can turn kin off now

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Well...........bye.

But leave your fries.

Seriously, app development is very labor intensive, especially on multiple platforms. Ads help developers keep updating. If I can support them on an app I like using, AND get rid of ads, then it's a win - win for me.

EVERYTHING is moving to subscription based platform. Office 365 is already. Microsoft will move completely to that platform soon. Apple will when they realize how much money they are losing out on.

Yeah, but I don't like being forced to pay in this way. They've had the option for VIP for a long time. I didn't mind ads too much. But now they'll cap how many images I post each month? And reduce the resolution down to a low quality? I post a lot of wallpapers on iMore, some on MacRumors, and a couple other forums. I find it ridiculous and greedy. You can bet they make plenty of money with this monopoly.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, but I don't like being forced to pay in this way.

Ditto, but it's not about what WE like. It's about the devs making some money on an app they've spent time and money developing. I've been down this road and I can tell you app development is a PITA, especially on the Android site with 10000000000000000 different models, all having to be supported.

You have 3 options when it comes to apps with restrictions. And by restrictions I mean everything that's been mentioned above:

1 - Use the free version and deal with the restrictions
2 - Pay the subscription and get all the bells and whistles
3 - Don't use the app and move on

Trust me, I know first hand. Ads SUCK but they pay bills. Ad blockers are WONDERFUL. And yes, I'm using one on this site right now. :)

And yes, I'm a TapaTalk VIP member.

Now if iMore had a VIP option to remove ads...........yes, I know.....kicking that dead horse again.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Paying for my VIP years ago was the best thing I ever did. I don’t pay often in apps but for this one I did.

At least you can turn kin off now

Yeah, I think we had to send in proof of payment for the TapaTalk Pro version within a certain time limit and was given VIP status. It was so long ago I forgot the exact information. I've had some kinda paid version of TapaTalk as far back as I can remember (Blackberry, Android & Apple), but I really liked the Android TapaTalk "RED" version I had with my Note 3. Is it my understanding that now everyone has to pay for VIP status?

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Well...........bye.

But leave your fries.

I'm NOT leaving any fries! But then, I'm not leaving either. It was late, I was fussy, and really, in the scheme of things, I really don't use Tapatalk all that much. I know that is surprising to some, but I don't! So I don't think this will affect me at all. And I realize that ads are a necessary evil, but bills have to be paid!

Morac

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I think we had to send in proof of payment for the TapaTalk Pro version within a certain time limit and was given VIP status. It was so long ago I forgot the exact information. I've had some kinda paid version of TapaTalk as far back as I can remember (Blackberry, Android & Apple), but I really liked the Android TapaTalk "RED" version I had with my Note 3. Is it my understanding that now everyone has to pay for VIP status?

When Tapatalk Pro was retired, Tapatalk did give out VIP status for the regular status to those who contacted them. That was when all VIP did was remove ads. I know, because I did this.

Last year all those VIP statuses expired and you need to buy VIP again for the new benefits. Old VIP users got a special badge, but that’s it.

Tapatalk Pro is available again though, so old Pro users can use that. It’s just rarely updated.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR