BeWeather 2 for iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

xderiwx

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Can anyone explain how the Personal Stations work? I have three showing. The default one and #2 on the Personal Stations list seem to either show information that is pretty off or have pieces missing. Like never having wind info. The third option seems to be closer to all other weather sources I checked it against.

I have this 3rd station chosen, but I'm curious if the app will remember this choice or if I will need to manually pick this every time I open the app? What about when I leave my home location, check the app from a new location with GPS, and then return home and check again? Should the app remember my choice even though the GPS location changed?

Thanks!

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone explain how the Personal Stations work? I have three showing. The default one and #2 on the Personal Stations list seem to either show information that is pretty off or have pieces missing. Like never having wind info. The third option seems to be closer to all other weather sources I checked it against.

I have this 3rd station chosen, but I'm curious if the app will remember this choice or if I will need to manually pick this every time I open the app? What about when I leave my home location, check the app from a new location with GPS, and then return home and check again? Should the app remember my choice even though the GPS location changed?

Thanks!

Anyone can buy the equipment and set up a personal weather station. Of course the info will vary by location, equipment and whatever maintenance is/is not done.

Personal Weather Station Network | Weather Underground

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Thanks!
This comes from Weather Underground. They allow individuals to set up weather stations usually run from their home. They must invest a bit for the necessary tools and equipment needed to do the weather they post to Weather Underground. So results may vary a bit from one to another. If wind speed is missing, it could mean they don't have an anomometer or it's broke. I try to find the closest station to my home. Sometimes I switch from one to another. But I list one personal station and the airport. I have found that the personal station I use most is accurate and they update in a more timely way than the airport. Example:
You can see the difference in the reported time. I checked both at 9:25 am.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427639281.644048.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427639290.674393.jpg

Most weather apps use the same info as the airport.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

xderiwx

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
HankAZ and Led,

Thanks for the info! I don't have cash to drop on my own weather equipment right now, so I'll have to go with one of the available options for now. :)

Led,

Do you need to manually pick your chosen station every time you travel out of your home location, then return? Or can the app remember what you chose, either the Airport or your nearest station or does it go back to defaults?

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
HankAZ and Led,

Thanks for the info! I don't have cash to drop on my own weather equipment right now, so I'll have to go with one of the available options for now. :)

Led,

Do you need to manually pick your chosen station every time you travel out of your home location, then return? Or can the app remember what you chose, either the Airport or your nearest station or does it go back to defaults?

Posted via the iMore App for Android

One will be your current location. It's the first on my list. So it will show where you are. The others are entered in and will remain the same no matter where you are. The "Current location" one will show the location icon.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427734690.083794.jpg

Kev_F

Apr 25, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys,

I've installed the BeWeather2 Pro app on my 5S & I really dig the widget. But I seem to encounter some issues.

So the data is collected from WeatherUnderground but it seems to me it doesn't collect in realtime. I have added an addtional location, being Orlando FL using the default station -> WFTV, Channel 9.

On the WU site & mobile app this data refreshes in realtime but the BeWeather2 app lacks several hours. For example when it's 6am in Orlando the BeWeather2 app says "Reported at 12am" while the WU app/site shows the realtime information (using same station on both apps). Also WU actually shows the windspeed while the BeWeather2 app claims it's always 0 or some negative one-thousand.

Is there a time limit on refreshing the data from WU for additional locations? I don't have this issue with the "current location" feed.

Already tried reinstalling and resetting settings but that was no help. Changing weather station for these locations doesn't always seem useful because in most cases it shows the name of the station instead of the city, like when I choose "Orlando Airport" it shows "Executive" in the widget instead of "Orlando".

pfluger

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys,

I've installed the BeWeather2 Pro app on my 5S & I really dig the widget. But I seem to encounter some issues.

So the data is collected from WeatherUnderground but it seems to me it doesn't collect in realtime. I have added an addtional location, being Orlando FL using the default station -> WFTV, Channel 9.

On the WU site & mobile app this data refreshes in realtime but the BeWeather2 app lacks several hours. For example when it's 6am in Orlando the BeWeather2 app says "Reported at 12am" while the WU app/site shows the realtime information (using same station on both apps). Also WU actually shows the windspeed while the BeWeather2 app claims it's always 0 or some negative one-thousand.

Is there a time limit on refreshing the data from WU for additional locations? I don't have this issue with the "current location" feed.

Already tried reinstalling and resetting settings but that was no help. Changing weather station for these locations doesn't always seem useful because in most cases it shows the name of the station instead of the city, like when I choose "Orlando Airport" it shows "Executive" in the widget instead of "Orlando".
I just added Orlando as a test. It uses WFTV for me, too. The data is only a couple of minutes behind the WU site, and it is showing 7 mph WSW wind.

IMG_0078.jpg

Kev_F

Apr 25, 2015
Visit site
I just added Orlando as a test. It uses WFTV for me, too. The data is only a couple of minutes behind the WU site, and it is showing 7 mph WSW wind.

View attachment 80666

Hi pfluger, thanks for your response. I deleted the app & reinstalled again but it's still the same.

IMG_0851.PNG

As you can see local time in Orlando is 9:03am and the app says "reported at 6:36am" which also kind of messes up the hourly forecast. Looking at the WU website using WFTV is realtime & up to date.

Weird part is, when I want to select another weather station, WFTV is again in that list and when I manually select it, the "reported at" changes to 8:56am, so a little more recent. But when I hit the reset button on the upper right, it changes back to the default station which is also WFTV but then with the "reported at" claiming 6:36am.

Also, windspeed still isn't correct even when using the manually selected WFTV station. App says 1mph SW & WU site says 6mph W.

Maybe it's just a problem with the WU data because I can't seem to explain this? And btw, thanks for the Metric system option, I personally love it because it makes more sense than the imperial system. ;)

bdtrader

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site

pfluger

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Hi pfluger, thanks for your response. I deleted the app & reinstalled again but it's still the same.

As you can see local time in Orlando is 9:03am and the app says "reported at 6:36am" which also kind of messes up the hourly forecast. Looking at the WU website using WFTV is realtime & up to date.

Weird part is, when I want to select another weather station, WFTV is again in that list and when I manually select it, the "reported at" changes to 8:56am, so a little more recent. But when I hit the reset button on the upper right, it changes back to the default station which is also WFTV but then with the "reported at" claiming 6:36am.

Also, windspeed still isn't correct even when using the manually selected WFTV station. App says 1mph SW & WU site says 6mph W.

Maybe it's just a problem with the WU data because I can't seem to explain this? And btw, thanks for the Metric system option, I personally love it because it makes more sense than the imperial system. ;)

This looks like a bug on WU's weather feed. We are checking what we can do from our side.

pfluger

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
The Weather Channel just released an apple watch app and also real-time lightening strikes. The Weather Channel brings real-time alerts for rain, snow, & lightning strikes to Apple Watch & iPhone | 9to5Mac

Now the Weather Channel iPhone app is terrible and full of ads, but the watch app is not bad.

I would love to see BeWeather release an apple watch app and real-time lightening strike alerts.

Pfluger: can you share anything about upcoming releases? Thanks.

We have an Apple Watch app in the works, but it will still be some time before release. The Apple Watch is a completely new device and we do not want to rush it.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

View attachment 80694

Location matters. I have a personal weather station and the airport on my app. The personal weather station reports more up to date than the airport. There's sometimes 4 hours difference.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430255792.966161.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430255802.363738.jpg

motionxxusxx#IM

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Pfluger,

Two questions

Is there a way to get the rainfall totals from the weather underground stations. This is available on the weather underground apps?

Is it possible to increase the image updates on the satellite animations. The new WU storm app has satellite updates every 15 minutes in their animations.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
Pfluger,
When can we expect radar maps in widgets?
i believe you indicated in the past that you would make it available.
TIA

littledebbie

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
This looks like a bug on WU's weather feed. We are checking what we can do from our side.

pfluger:

I too am having this issue and it's pretty much the only thing keeping me from hitting the "buy" button and making this my dedicated weather map.I am very hopeful you will fix this soon as I am SO EAGER to ditch my other crappy weather apps for this one!

Anyhow, Pluger...I am so glad I found these forums.

I wanted to tell you how impressed I am with this app and the work you (and your team) has done. It is, by FAR, the best weather app in the app store. Hands down. Nothing even touches it. Most of the other widgets are bare, minimal, and require you to drill into the app to really get valuable information. The look of the app is pleasing...it looks polished..it's brilliant and simple to navigate. There is SO MUCH CUSTOMIZATION. I would never get bored...all the icons and text styles, themes, widget options, etc. It's EXCELLENT! And you're getting your weather data from Weather Underground, not some third party weather service no one's heard of like the other weather apps.

Below are some bugs I have found, plus some suggestions. Let me know what you think.

1. The only weather data that is updating regularly is the current location data. This is the same issue as previously described in which you think it may be a Weather Underground issue. Let's say it's 5:00pm Eastern Time. I will add a location to my phone because I want to have multiple locations...the location will load up and say "reported at 3:34pm Eastern Time. Even if I force a refresh by pulling down on the list of locations, nothing updates. I will wait hours...HOURS...and the weather will still be stuck at 3:34pm. If I'm lucky, deleting it and readding the location will provide me with less of a gap, but that's rare.

This is definitely an issue, and I'm so glad you recognized it and are checking into it. Unfortunately it's a deal breaker for me. I travel a few hours away quite frequently and I definitely need accurate, current, weather conditions. Being behind a few hours is not helpful. A few minutes wouldn't be a problem!

2. Location services seem to remain on the entire time I'm in the app. I'm afraid this is going to suck down my battery! Most other apps will grab your location, retrieve the weather data, display it, and then deactivate the location services. Then, you can swipe down and refresh and it will activate the location services again and what have you. So..to try to better explain it...the little GPS icon will disappear after maybe..5 seconds after you open the app. Then you can browse the app freely without and relax a little knowing your battery isn't being sucked down faster.

3. On the main screen of the app... when you're looking at the current weather data at the top (and you haven't customized anything)...sometimes I will notice those Hi/Lo numbers will not match the Hi/Lo numbers in the 5 day forecast or the text summary of the forecast for the day. For example, way up top it said 62/36 today...the little five day forecast chart and summary, however, said 62/38. Going to Weather Underground's site and also using their app did report back the latter numbers.

This isn't all that big of a deal, but if it's something that could be fixed to keep everything "harmonious" as Jony Ive would say...it would be great. Just nitpicking...because with this AMAZING APP..that's all you can really do is ask for fine tuning...it's just about perfect. I say that with all sincerity. I am truly impressed.

4. An option to not use location services at all would be nice. The old Weather Underground app use to allow for this before they released a crummy update recently. That way, location services never were needed and the app simply updated the information I requested for the locations I requested. I'm not sure if your app and the widget would function if location services were turned off, but it might be a nice feature!

END...Most importantly, number 1 is the killer right now. I hope you and WU are able to find out what's going on. I cannot wait to redownload this app and make it my default. Keep up the great work. I sincerely appreciate the hard work you and your team put into this app. It is PHENOMENAL!

pfluger

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
2. Location services seem to remain on the entire time I'm in the app. I'm afraid this is going to suck down my battery! Most other apps will grab your location, retrieve the weather data, display it, and then deactivate the location services. Then, you can swipe down and refresh and it will activate the location services again and what have you. So..to try to better explain it...the little GPS icon will disappear after maybe..5 seconds after you open the app. Then you can browse the app freely without and relax a little knowing your battery isn't being sucked down faster.
Location services should be released after the data refresh finished. Thanks for noticing this bug. We will look into this.

3. On the main screen of the app... when you're looking at the current weather data at the top (and you haven't customized anything)...sometimes I will notice those Hi/Lo numbers will not match the Hi/Lo numbers in the 5 day forecast or the text summary of the forecast for the day. For example, way up top it said 62/36 today...the little five day forecast chart and summary, however, said 62/38. Going to Weather Underground's site and also using their app did report back the latter numbers.
We will look into this.

4. An option to not use location services at all would be nice. The old Weather Underground app use to allow for this before they released a crummy update recently. That way, location services never were needed and the app simply updated the information I requested for the locations I requested. I'm not sure if your app and the widget would function if location services were turned off, but it might be a nice feature!
You can simply delete the GPS location. To add it back later, select 'Add Location' in BeWeather and you will have an additional option 'Add My Location'.

Unfortunately due to the location services bug above the location services are still being used, but if you have deleted the GPS location you could safely turn off location services for BeWeather in Apple Settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox