BeWeather 2 for iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Belated congratulations

A quick question - is there a option to change the alert tone?

Right now it's the iOS default tone and I don't always know if it's Packer news or winter weather advisory. :D

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
This is by design. Those notifications appear only while the device is locked (hence "lock screen" weather ;) ). If you are using the phone at the time the notification would normally appear, it will be skipped until the next hour.

BeWeather does not post these notifications while the device is unlocked. You would receive an alert popup at the top of the screen which most users will find annoying.

I still don't get it. Normally I don't lock my phone at all. Many people don't. But if I choose not to lock my phone, I would never receive an hourly BeWeather 2 notification. I receive other lock screen notifications when the phone is just asleep. And they don't show at the top in annoying way. The banner at the top will show only if one sets the alert to "banner". I set mine to "alerts". It seems to me the hourly notifications could be shown just as the severe weather alerts are shown on the lock screen. I've had a few of those and they don't show at the top in an annoying way. They only showed on the lock screen and NC screen.

Sent from CrapaTalk on my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

pfluger

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
I still don't get it. Normally I don't lock my phone at all. Many people don't. But if I choose not to lock my phone, I would never receive an hourly BeWeather 2 notification. I receive other lock screen notifications when the phone is just asleep. And they don't show at the top in annoying way. The banner at the top will show only if one sets the alert to "banner". I set mine to "alerts". It seems to me the hourly notifications could be shown just as the severe weather alerts are shown on the lock screen. I've had a few of those and they don't show at the top in an annoying way. They only showed on the lock screen and NC screen.

Just to clarify, when I say "locked" I mean the phone being asleep and showing the lockscreen ("swipe to unlock") when woken up.

I do not mean locked via passcode or anything.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Just to clarify, when I say "locked" I mean the phone being asleep and showing the lockscreen ("swipe to unlock") when woken up.

My hourly alerts only show when my phone is actually locked. They don't if it's just asleep. I'm going to turn the lock off and see what happens.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

OK, it's 5:42 am. Last night I turned the passcode lock off on my phone. This morning there was no BeWeather 2 alert on my lock screen. Nor was there one on the NC screen. The phone has to be locked when the alert comes in for it to show on the lock screen. I think that's true of everyone's phone. Most here have the 5s or up. But they use the fingerprint scanner and keep their phones locked except while in use. So they see most of the alerts. Well, a lot unless they're on the phone non stop like I am. So for me to see an hourly alert, I'll have to go back in Settings>Passcode>Turn passcode on. I'll set it to enable after 15 minutes. The BeWeather hourly alerts usually come at 2 to 4 minutes past the hour. So if I turn my phone off at 6:45 am, at about 7:02 am I'll get the hourly alert. I don't like having to enter my 4 digit passcode so much. When I had the lock set on 1 hour, I rarely saw the BeWeather hourly alert. Mostly early morning after my phone had been locked all night. If this is the way it's intended, that's fine. But there's a lot of people who don't lock their phones. And they'll never see the BeWeather hourly alerts. It would much better for the hourly alerts to behave as the severe weather alerts do and come in each hour whether the phone is locked or not.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't think the passcode or fingerprint scanner have anything to do with it. When you click the power button it locks the phone. "Slide to unlock" would unlock it.

You should be getting the alerts on your phone when it is locked, with or without a passcode.

Put the phone down for an hour or so and see what happens. Mine updates often throughout the day when it's just sitting on my desk. I got several this evening while watching tv and not touching the phone. In fact I got two each time as we are experiencing some extreme (for this area) cold and wind.

bdtrader

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
A couple of things to improve alerts:

1. When you tap or swipe an alert on the lock screen or notification dropdown it should go directly into the alert on the app so you can read the alerts.

2. Make the alert text larger and/or add a setting to increase font size. It is still very small text.

3. Add a gesture to alert text screen to close the screen in addition to 'X' to close. Similar to what you do with the map screen.

Also, when is next production and beta update?

Thanks!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't think the passcode or fingerprint scanner have anything to do with it. When you click the power button it locks the phone. "Slide to unlock" would unlock it.

You should be getting the alerts on your phone when it is locked, with or without a passcode.

Put the phone down for an hour or so and see what happens. Mine updates often throughout the day when it's just sitting on my desk. I got several this evening while watching tv and not touching the phone. In fact I got two each time as we are experiencing some extreme (for this area) cold and wind.

Doesn't work if it's just asleep. It has to actually be passcode locked before I get the hourly notifications. I've tested it over and over. Tried it several different ways. The passcode lock must be engaged for me to get the notifications. The other alerts for severe weather and such work fine. I don't think mine is the only phone that does like that. I wish I knew what causes it. My Wife's phone does the same. She uses the 5c. We share the same iTunes ID and purchased list. She never uses the passcode lock, and gets no hourly notifications at all. Just the severe weather alerts.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't work if it's just asleep. It has to actually be passcode locked before I get the hourly notifications. I've tested it over and over. Tried it several different ways. The passcode lock must be engaged for me to get the notifications. The other alerts for severe weather and such work fine. I don't think mine is the only phone that does like that. I wish I knew what causes it. My Wife's phone does the same. She uses the 5c. We share the same iTunes ID and purchased list. She never uses the passcode lock, and gets no hourly notifications at all. Just the severe weather alerts.

I'd have to agree with your tested theory on this Led. My iPad Air is not passcode locked and I NEVER get hourly updates, I will only receive weather alerts. Now, as for my 5S which is finger coded and pass coded, I receive hourly updates without any issues, as well as the weather alerts !!

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm testing this too and so far no alerts since I disabled the passcode at 2:20. It's now 6:08. I've used the phone a bit but have tried not to much.

I'm on iOS 8.1.1 and 2.0.70 of BeWeather 2.

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I am seeing the same thing except I think I do get the hourly updates while on a phone call.

Not quite sure since my phone is going crazy with the windchill and snow warnings for the last 2-3 days.

Sent from my iPad Air 2 using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
And maybe it's my imagination, but I do recall seeing the hourly alert a lot more before iOS 8. And my lock screen passcode was set for 1 hour then. Is there any way iOS 8 could have messed this up?

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I am hoping there is a way for the app to alert regardless of whether there is a PIN on the phone. I use one all the time (and the fingerprint scanner is 1000x better!) but obviously there are those who don't.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I am hoping there is a way for the app to alert regardless of whether there is a PIN on the phone. I use one all the time (and the fingerprint scanner is 1000x better!) but obviously there are those who don't.
I'll probably use the fingerprint scanner when I finally upgrade. But there's a lot of people who don't like to lock their phones. I don't on my 5. It's bothersome to input a code each time I open the phone.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I'll probably use the fingerprint scanner when I finally upgrade. But there's a lot of people who don't like to lock their phones. I don't on my 5. It's bothersome to input a code each time I open the phone.

Led, I was like that with my 4S and 5C. I never had a code set for the same reasons. BUT!! when I got my 5S back in November I set the code and fingerprints up.

Can I tell you.......I LOVE using the fingerprint scanner to unlock my phone. It's extremely convienent

tapped out by my P!NK fingers from my iPad Air

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
If you ever lose your phone you'll be glad you had the passcode. I've used it forever (didn't have a 5S, got the 6 launch day after getting the 5 launch day) and while it does take some getting used to at the beginning, that goes away quickly. The comfort of knowing nobody can go through your stuff if you lose your phone is worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.