OneNOte for iOS7?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I myself use Evernote and don't look for anything else but i have heard people say good things about Onenote also.

Kashan Osama

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Havent heard of any updates coming,but I use EverNote so havent really looking for any.

I myself use Evernote and don't look for anything else but i have heard people say good things about Onenote also.

Actually both are awesome,But here I don't have anymethod to pay for the subscription other than dishing out some extra commision to few persons who have the privilage to transfer money to one's paypal account etc...Hence I am now thinking of migrating towards one Note,But Somehow Evernote is so awesome

Amamba

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Well well well...does springpad has pc support?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Springpad :

- Free
- Supports "open in.." on iPad
- small size

But...
- doesn't have a desktop app, using a rather slow & clunky web interface instead.
- wastes lots of screen real estate on useless borders & "social" icons.
- no offline mode on desktop.
- Offline mode on mobile is limited to text - so no attachments available offline.
- no OCR search in PDFs or Jpegs with text.
- no handwritten notes

Evernote

- fastest for the quick "fire and forget" type notes
- basic handwriting support via Skitch or more extensive via Penultimate (but Penultimate is slow to start)
- full OCR search in PDFs
- iOS version has all features of desktop version
- No overall limit on size of your database in the cloud
- Offline database on desktop client.

But:

- to get Evernote offline on mobile devices, must buy a $45 per year subscription.
- 60mb / month upload limit without subscription.
- to me, the interface is a bit spartan and formatting options are scarce
- Need to buy premium subscription to encrypt your database on the desktop or mobile. not true actually.... Only the note is protected, not the attachment. So assume everything you attach into Evernote d/b can be read by someone on EN staff or a hacker, unless you encrypt it first.

OneNote

- full offline access to all content of synced notebooks on mobile devices
- no size limit (other than OneDrive storage limit)
- Greatest formatting options
- Extremely powerful desktop client. Beats Evernote for PC by a mile, Springpad by a lightyear.
- OCR search available in PDFs and Jpegs with text - but only if you added them on the desktop client.

But..

- Huge. I anticipate losing a full gig on OneNote + a decent size database. The program alone is nearly half a gig on the iPad.
- No "open in..." on iPad. If I want to add a PDF to OneNote, I must either do it on the desktop, or take a screenshot.
- A couple seconds slower to start than Evernote.
- Tags can be added on iOS, but can't be searched. (OneNote uses tags differently from Evernote, though). To use Tags as categories the way EN does, the easiest way is to just type them into the note.
- You can only share info with others from the iOS client via OneDrive link or a dumb screenshot. Evernote allows sending the whole note in the body of email.
- You can't password protect OneNote database if you plan on using it on iPad.
- No reminders on iPad.

So, it's a tough one... For me, going by the features and performance alone, Evernote Premium would be a win over OneNote, although by a hair. But $45 a year is not cheap, at least for what I use it for, and given the competition. It's like buying a brand new iPad every 10 years and giving it to Evernote. If I used it all the time for all kinds of work, sure. But for storing information I may only look at once in a blue moon, too pricey. On the other hand, OneNote is slower and way bigger. Not an easy choice.

As for the Springpad - not being able to access attachments offline, no offline mode on the desktop, no desktop client, and screwy interface make it worse than Evernote free. So I am not even considering it.

Last edited:

Kashan Osama

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Springpad:

- Free
- small size

But...
- doesn't have a desktop app, using a rather slow & clunky web interface instead.
- wastes lots of screen real estate on useless borders & "social" icons.
- no offline mode on desktop.
- Offline mode on mobile is limited to text - so no attachments available offline.
- no OCR search in PDFs or Jpegs with text.
- no handwritten notes

Evernote

- fastest for the quick "fire and forget" type notes
- basic handwriting support via Skitch or more extensive via Penultimate (but Penultimate is slow to start)
- full OCR search in PDFs
- iOS version has all features of desktop version
- No overall limit on size of your database in the cloud
- Offline database on desktop client.

But:

- to get Evernote offline on mobile devices, must buy a $45 per year subscription.
- 60mb / month upload limit without subscription.
- to me, the interface is a bit spartan and formatting options are scarce
- Need to buy premium subscription to encrypt your database on the desktop or mobile.

OneNote

- full offline access to all content of synced notebooks on mobile devices
- no size limit (other than OneDrive storage limit)
- Greatest formatting options
- Extremely powerful desktop client. Beats Evernote for PC by a mile, Springpad by a lightyear.
- OCR search available in PDFs and Jpegs with text - but only if you added them on the desktop client.

But..

- Huge. I anticipate losing a full gig on OneNote + a decent size database. The program alone is nearly half a gig on the iPad.
- No "open in..." on iPad. If I want to add a PDF to OneNote, I must either do it on the desktop, or take a screenshot.
- A couple seconds slower to start than Evernote.
- Tags can be added on iOS, but can't be searched. (OneNote uses tags differently from Evernote, though). To use Tags as categories the way EN does, the easiest way is to just type them into the note.
- You can only share info with others from the iOS client via OneDrive link or a dumb screenshot. Evernote allows sending the whole note in the body of email.
- You can't password protect OneNote database if you plan on using it on iPad.
- No reminders on iPad.

So, it's a tough one... For me, going by the features and performance alone, Evernote Premium would be a win over OneNote, although by a hair. But $45 a year is not cheap, at least for what I use it for, and given the competition. It's like buying a brand new iPad every 10 years and giving it to Evernote. If I used it all the time for all kinds of work, sure. But for storing information I may only look at once in a blue moon, too pricey. On the other hand, OneNote is slower and way bigger. Not an easy choice.

As for the Springpad - not being able to access attachments offline, no offline mode on the desktop, no desktop client, and screwy interface make it worse than Evernote free. So I am not even considering it.

Thank you very very much :) So now I am torn b/w EN and OneNote,As a current EN user,I may continue with it,Yes the 60mb limit is bugging me now Because I want to sync some really important files worth 25 mb BUT,the limit will reset after 5 days i.e when my first month will get completed with evernote

Amamba

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Thank you very very much :) So now I am torn b/w EN and OneNote,As a current EN user,I may continue with it,Yes the 60mb limit is bugging me now Because I want to sync some really important files worth 25 mb BUT,the limit will reset after 5 days i.e when my first month will get completed with evernote

Actually my biggest issue with EN is not the limit but the fact that my files aren't available offline in a free version. Plus, the interface.

Thinking about Springpad I just realized that what it should be compared with is not Evernote or OneNote, but Notes, it's like Notes on steroids - you can type text & access it offline or on your PC via browser, but you can also add attachments and some formatting.

I do suggest you try OneNote, it's very powerful.

Amamba

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
BTW, I am sticking with EN, just because I don't use it everyday, I already have several hundred records in it, I don't give a **** if anyone sees that info as I don't trust it with anything serious, and OneNote is just another system to maintain.

For anything serious, I use Dropbox. I can specify favorites that are available offline, I don't need the cataloging powers of EN there because I know exactly where the important stuff is, and I encrypt anything that I don't want the world to see.

Amamba

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Well, I am thinking again... Looking up some info on Evernote forums I ran into people complaining they lost all or some of their data... Not one or two people, either, and the support seems genuinely lost.

Did I lost any data ? Honestly - no clue. I don't keep anything serious in it. But, whatever I put in, I want to find later. So One gets another chance.

Kashan Osama

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
BTW, I am sticking with EN, just because I don't use it everyday, I already have several hundred records in it, I don't give a **** if anyone sees that info as I don't trust it with anything serious, and OneNote is just another system to maintain.

For anything serious, I use Dropbox. I can specify favorites that are available offline, I don't need the cataloging powers of EN there because I know exactly where the important stuff is, and I encrypt anything that I don't want the world to see.

Well, I am thinking again... Looking up some info on Evernote forums I ran into people complaining they lost all or some of their data... Not one or two people, either, and the support seems genuinely lost.

Did I lost any data ? Honestly - no clue. I don't keep anything serious in it. But, whatever I put in, I want to find later. So One gets another chance.

ahan :) I will be migrating to oneNote when they release the iOS 7 overhauled version of it :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AbbiePilgrim