there actually is a work around posted on the YouTube site

follow directions below

Spotify and Rdio are usually great for streaming music. But sometimes the fastest way to find and play a track is via YouTube. Unfortunately, using the dedicated app on your phone or tablet also means you cant do anything else while listening to music and podcasts.

Background streaming was supposed to make its way into the YouTube app last year. But as of February, theres still no sign of it. And with Google launching its All Access streaming service late last year, it doesnt look like it ever will.

While Android users are apparently still out of luck*, those who own an iPhone and the iPad with iOS 7 can use a fairly easy workaround. First, ditch the standalone YouTube app. Instead, open the browser version of whatever YouTube video you want you can use Safari or Chrome and hit play. Once it starts playing, exit the browser by pressing the home button. This will cut off the sound. To start it again, swipe up from the bottom of the screen to bring up Control Center. In the space where you can usually see the name of the iOS or Spotify music track playing, you should now see the name of the YouTube clip open in your browser
    iOS Gravity and Jaguarr40 like this.
    02-21-2014 12:13 PM

follow directions below

Spotify and Rdio are usually great for streaming music. But sometimes the fastest way to find and play a track is via YouTube. Unfortunately, using the dedicated app on your phone or tablet also means you cant do anything else while listening to music and podcasts.

Background streaming was supposed to make its way into the YouTube app last year. But as of February, theres still no sign of it. And with Google launching its All Access streaming service late last year, it doesnt look like it ever will.

While Android users are apparently still out of luck*, those who own an iPhone and the iPad with iOS 7 can use a fairly easy workaround. First, ditch the standalone YouTube app. Instead, open the browser version of whatever YouTube video you want you can use Safari or Chrome and hit play. Once it starts playing, exit the browser by pressing the home button. This will cut off the sound. To start it again, swipe up from the bottom of the screen to bring up Control Center. In the space where you can usually see the name of the iOS or Spotify music track playing, you should now see the name of the YouTube clip open in your browser
    That's for the tip. It's very useful.
    kataran likes this.
    02-21-2014 12:18 PM
    If you're jailbroken, there's a tweak that let's you play YouTube videos in the background (the audio of it).

Side note: is anybody else's "Playlist" section completely missing from the side of the YouTube app? Mine is gone. Like I can't view my playlists in the app at all for some reason. It was there yesterday so idk what happened between then and now. Strange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    02-21-2014 01:30 PM

follow directions below

Spotify and Rdio are usually great for streaming music. But sometimes the fastest way to find and play a track is via YouTube. Unfortunately, using the dedicated app on your phone or tablet also means you can’t do anything else while listening to music and podcasts.

Background streaming was supposed to make its way into the YouTube app last year. But as of February, there’s still no sign of it. And with Google launching its All Access streaming service late last year, it doesn’t look like it ever will.

While Android users are apparently still out of luck*, those who own an iPhone and the iPad with iOS 7 can use a fairly easy workaround. First, ditch the standalone YouTube app. Instead, open the browser version of whatever YouTube video you want — you can use Safari or Chrome — and hit play. Once it starts playing, exit the browser by pressing the home button. This will cut off the sound. To start it again, swipe up from the bottom of the screen to bring up Control Center. In the space where you can usually see the name of the iOS or Spotify music track playing, you should now see the name of the YouTube clip open in your browser
    Thank you.
    02-21-2014 04:12 PM
    Thanks so much, wonderd about that

kataran likes this.
    02-21-2014 04:42 PM
    If you're jailbroken, there's a tweak that let's you play YouTube videos in the background (the audio of it).

Side note: is anybody else's "Playlist" section completely missing from the side of the YouTube app? Mine is gone. Like I can't view my playlists in the app at all for some reason. It was there yesterday so idk what happened between then and now. Strange.

Welcome to iMore 😃

Are you signed in?

Also thank you for the tip all help is Welcome on this Forum also feel free to join the conversations and post often 📲

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB
    02-21-2014 04:51 PM
    Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB
    Thanks & yes I'm signed in. I did some research & found out its a bug in the app. Both iOS & Android is experiencing it. Hopefully a fix will be released soon.

kataran and iOS Gravity like this.
    02-21-2014 04:53 PM
    use MxTube

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app
    02-21-2014 06:28 PM
    undermine Youtube Red!

Firefox, Safari & Chrome on iPhone iOS 10.2 April 2017 no longer play Youtube in background, no matter what tricks you pull. However, Dolphin browser still does.

Imagine 200 million viewers cowed into paying Red $10/month. You're having a laugh right? It's time to abandon Youtube...
    Last edited by GeorgeRobinson-AdvHtg; 04-27-2017 at 09:54 AM. Reason: grammar and context
    04-27-2017 09:51 AM