I don't live in Outlook, not even at work where that is the mail client.

So, what's the difference between trusting Microsoft with your notebooks vs Evernote?
    I had settled on OneNote a couple weeks ago, the cincher for me was a specific defect in EverNote's desktop client that was mangling my note titles.

I had been procrastinating over purchasing the desktop OneNote program, and now I'm glad I did as it went freeware as of yesterday (as long as you don't need Outlook or Sharepoint integration, which I do not).
    03-18-2014 04:50 PM
    OneNote on PC is an immensely powerful application, there's nothing that even comes close. The integration with Outlook, the way you can turn any line into Outlook task with a simple click, the freestyle placement of components like screenshots - Evernote is a child's toy by comparison.

Yet, I use Evernote for personal stuff. For two reasons.

First, OneNote misses lots of functionality on Android (which I still use for my phone) and I assume on iPad also. E.g. no hand written notes. I can use Skitch to quickly jot down someone's phone #, and will find it in Evernote later.

Second, OneNote files are huge, and rely on OneDrive for sync, which can get slow. Evernote syncs to some cloud somewhere, so I am not worried about getting a 2 GB file on my phone.
    fb2 likes this.
    03-18-2014 08:36 PM
    Yet, I use Evernote for personal stuff. For two reasons.

First, OneNote misses lots of functionality on Android (which I still use for my phone) and I assume on iPad also. E.g. no hand written notes. I can use Skitch to quickly jot down someone's phone #, and will find it in Evernote later.
    This is changing. The Engadget article where I found OneNote went freeware, was actually about the Livescribe SmartPen's new ability to send handwritten notes to OneNote. Send notes to OneNote with your Livescribe 3 smartpen if you're interested. But for me, it's a non-issue. My handwriting is bad enough on real paper, it's even worse on a touchscreen. I write too fast and small for it to be picked up reliably on my phone or tablet.

Second, OneNote files are huge, and rely on OneDrive for sync, which can get slow. Evernote syncs to some cloud somewhere, so I am not worried about getting a 2 GB file on my phone.
    EverNote uses Evernote's servers. At a guess, I'd say they're leasing "cloud space" from Amazon's service but I have no actual info on that.

For me, one of the key feature differences is that I can access my data offline. This is important if you're somewhere without cellular or wifi. To do that with Evernote you have to pay a subscription fee, and that has always been free with OneNote.
    03-18-2014 09:38 PM
    This is changing. The Engadget article where I found OneNote went freeware, was actually about the Livescribe SmartPen's new ability to send handwritten notes to OneNote. Send notes to OneNote with your Livescribe 3 smartpen if you're interested. But for me, it's a non-issue. My handwriting is bad enough on real paper, it's even worse on a touchscreen. I write too fast and small for it to be picked up reliably on my phone or tablet.

EverNote uses Evernote's servers. At a guess, I'd say they're leasing "cloud space" from Amazon's service but I have no actual info on that.

For me, one of the key feature differences is that I can access my data offline. This is important if you're somewhere without cellular or wifi. To do that with Evernote you have to pay a subscription fee, and that has always been free with OneNote.
    That's true, but the install of OneNote and a sample notebook is almost 600 mb ! That's insane, I got a 32 GB mini but I don't want to use up a whole gig on one program.

There was a paid app somewhere - not awfully expensive, just a couple $ - that claimed you could get offline Evernote with it. Not sure if it worked, though.

However, I am not sure I want all my notes offline. Again, I may be mistaken, but I think OneNote doesn't let you specify what goes offline - every notebook you sync is available offline. I can see the storage space being eaten up in a hurry that way. One of the biggest nasty surprises when switching to iOS from Android was that iOS apps are insanely bloated - a typical large Android app is 20mb, the iOS is easily 10x that size, so while I was fine using an 8 GB Nexus 7 for over a year, I had to exchange my initial 16 GB rMini for a 32GB one. So I'd be wary of eating up all that space by old receipts.

PS: You can get offline access for free in Springpad. I don't like their visual organization or the fact that you can't add checklist to the note after you started it, but if offline access is important and you don't want a huge chunk of your space taken up, this may be the one for you.
    Last edited by Amamba; 03-18-2014 at 11:20 PM.
    03-18-2014 10:55 PM
    Yesterday, I decided to give OneNote yet another try, disregarding the space requirements. While it feels much snappier than what I remember, I also ran into a couple of major (for me) limitations. There's no way that I can find to export a note from iPad - only a link. Many organizations are blocking OneDrive, so if I use OneNote for taking meeting minutes or writing any docs I need to share with others, I can only do it from a computer. With Evernote, I can email the page from iPad. Second, OneNote doesn't appear in the list of programs I can send to, so I can't add a file from Dropbox or upload a hand written sketch from GoodNotes. To me, these limitations are unacceptable. I want to be able to, say, open a PDF attachment from an email, mark it up in a meeting in GoodNotes, upload it into my main info storage program, add some typed notes, and send it out to 20 different people from different companies that are part of that ongoing meeting. And when I have a follow up meeting, open up the record, update it, and send it out again, all from the iPad without having to go back to my PC.

Evernote does this. OneNote would be a much better record organization tool if it did this. I will reinstall Springpad and see how it compares; it doesn't have some of the best features of Evernote and Onenote, like OCR search in PDF, and the overall interface is clunkier, but the offline access is free.
    03-20-2014 12:46 PM
    Another good article; OneNote vs. Evernote!

Lifehacker Faceoff: OneNote vs. Evernote
    03-25-2014 03:19 PM
    I tried Onenote but uninstalled it because of its huge space and because Springpad in Chrome and Iphone works much better. In the past I also tried Evernote, but I wanted something free then I switched to SpringPad which makes more or less the same things.
    When (hopefully) Google will launch Google Keeps for iOS I will also drop Springpad.
    03-26-2014 11:52 AM
    I tried Onenote but uninstalled it because of its huge space...
    What do you mean with "huge space"? 😱
    03-26-2014 02:51 PM
    Evernote. I haven't heard of OneNote before but Evernote is simple to use. I find the side bar to be annoying though but I assume it's there until I decide to upgrade to Premium for a cost.
    03-26-2014 08:00 PM
    I agree with some of the previous posts above. The data capture features that Evernote provides are top-notch.
    05-08-2015 01:35 PM
    Evernote (for my needs). The third-party accessories (notebooks, scanners) etc are fantastic.

The integration with other apps is unmatched as well in my usage.
    05-08-2015 03:00 PM
    both works really well!
    05-23-2015 02:16 AM
37 12