Review: Reckless Racing 2, by Polarbit

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
[URL="https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id476274173?mt=8&at=10l3Vy]Reckless Racing 2[/URL], by Polarbit
$1.99, ****1/2 (universal binary)

Pros:

• Fun follow-up to Reckless racing
  • ?Interactive? with environment
  • Multiple play modes

Cons:

• Steering options can be confusing
  • No calculator included

Reckless Racing 2 has been out for a while, but I haven?t reviewed it yet. It is a fun sequel to Reckless Racing, which I reviewed in 2011 and gave 4.5 stars. Reckless Racing 2 follows in its footsteps. I bought it a while ago for $4.99, but you can get it for only $1.99. All images are from the iPad version of the game.

Let?s first start off with the obvious. Reckless Racing 2 is still the same basic formula as Reckless Racing - you drive around in a course that you can smash up. In this version, you have many more game play modes ? you have a career mode (where you earn money to upgrade your car), an arcade mode where you try to complete various challenges, a single race mode to compete in any track, and a multiplayer mode (online, not local play unfortunately).

IMG_0623.jpg
Figure 1. Choose your racer, choose your car, and start racing!

One difference between the two versions is that Reckless Racing 2 has gone a little more mainstream, losing the stereotyped characters from the first to go with a more standard lineup. The graphics remain great, however. The game keeps a constant overhead view of your racecar, so now attempt to try ?realistic view? graphics. The graphics are crisp and responsive ? it is especially great seeing fences going flying or sending orange warning cones into the air. An additional new feature is they give you "route lines" which are the best route to take around the track. Of course, following them is another matter entirely.

IMG_0627.jpg
Figure 2. Full contact is expected! Steer with the arrows, and try to stay on the road!

The career mode is the most enjoyable change. You can now start to save money by winning races (pretty standard in any racing career mode) and upgrade your car as needed. Unfortunately, even things like painting the car costs money, so you are stuck with the default look until you can enough money to change it (or buy a new car).

IMG_0628.jpg
Figure 3. Where you finish will influence your spending money, as well as how difficult the racing will become!

The challenge mode (arcade mode) is pretty straightforward. You are given a racetrack and a car, and you need to finish 1[SUP]st[/SUP], 2[SUP]nd[/SUP], or 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] in order to unlock the next challenge. They start off pretty easy, but get harder and harder as you progress. Overall difficulty is supposed to adjust based on your performance, but I didn?t notice much change (it could be I just didn?t play long enough).

IMG_0634.jpg
Figure 4. Different cars are assigned for the different arcade challenges.

As with the first game, the steering may take a little getting used to. The system with the overhead camera is nice, and the steering is done with on-screen arrows, but it doesn?t rotate based on your car?s orientation. As such, you may find yourself driving towards you, with the controls pointing in the opposite way the need to go in order to steer (to turn left, you hit the right direction arrow).

IMG_0633.jpg
Figure 5. Don't fall off the edge! (Easier said that done, in some cases)

All in all, Reckless Racing 2 is a great sequel to the first game. It follows up a core racing model with new features, game modes, and even more fun. While the steering takes a little bit of time to get used to, once you adapt you can do quite well. At $1.99, for wreck-em-up racing fans, this game is almost a must purchase. As a universal binary, you can play on the iPhone or the iPad, but for full effect, the iPad is the preferred route. Four and a half out of five stars.

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
*** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
**** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating. Please comment on these reviews. All opinions expressed in this review are precisely that ? opinions. You may agree or disagree. If you own the app, tell me what your opinion is. If the review prompted you to buy (or not buy) the app, let me know why. If you want more information about the app, go ahead and ask.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro