BeWeather for iPhone - Free Weather App by Bellshare

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Are you on Mac OS X?

1. Create a folder
2. Put all the PNG files in there, make sure the naming is correct
3. Select all the PNG files in the folder, then open the context menu and select 'Compress'
4. It will create a new Archive.zip file, just rename it to anything you like i.e. 'My Iconset.zip'
5. Move the .zip file to your Dropbox 'Public' folder
6. Right click the .zip file in the 'Public' folder and select 'Copy Public Link'
7. Paste that URL into an e-mail and send it to your phone, there you can copy it again and paste it into BeWeather
No computer. I created the PNG images, then uploaded to Dropbox. Then saved as URL. Is there a way to do this on my iPhone?

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
One more thing - the iconset should contain 68 icons.
I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm checking out iZip Pro. I've had it a good while, but never used it. I can do 68 if I can figure out how to do it all. :)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I think you need to go to the Dropbox section and download the png files so they are local to the app.
Then in the local section, select all 68 png files and select the zip button at the bottom. Give the zip a name and once it's done upload the zip back to Dropbox.
View attachment 70000
View attachment 70001
Thanks, Karen! That will help. I have to create my 68 PNG icons and size then to 160x160.? Hank said the default was that size. That will take me a while. I could download some, but that's not as fun.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, Karen! That will help. I have to create my 68 PNG icons and size then to 160x160.? Hank said the default was that size. That will take me a while. I could download some, but that's not as fun.

I would trust Hank on that one.

Thanks for the vote of confidence .

That was the size of the individual images in the zip/link in Pfluger's earlier post on the subject. In my case, another size (175 x 120) actually worked, but the images were squished. It appears to me that the key is to make them square. Otherwise, it looks like BeWeather stretches/squishes them to display as square.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
View attachment 70035
This is by far my favorite widget and weather app. NICE job H

Sent from my GOLD s
using Tapatalk
Have you checked many of the iconsets? Most of them still don't work well on the NC screen. There's a good handful that do, but probably less than a third. Is that what you get? Or is it my phone. Several here talk about how good it works with no problems. But are they checking all the iconsets? This is beta testing, and I'm gonna tell it like it is. For me, most of the iconsets are still not working on the NC screen. Not with 3 or more sections. Most do with 2, if one is "Current Conditions". For me personally, enough of them work with either 2 or 3 sections to keep me satisfied. It's great as it is. I would like to see the holiday sets work better, and more of them. That said, for the app to be offered in the App Store, it needs to work. And beta testing does no good if everyone just says how great it is. On my phone, it still has issues. But is it just me and my ancient iP 5 with it's A6 processor? I also have a problem with the map not staying closed. That's new with the latest beta version. Hank had that issue before. For the most part, this is a great weather app. But for final submission to the App Store, it still needs a bit of work. Mostly stabilizing the iconsets/sections for the NC widgets.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the vote of confidence .

That was the size of the individual images in the zip/link in Pfluger's earlier post on the subject. In my case, another size (175 x 120) actually worked, but the images were squished. It appears to me that the key is to make them square. Otherwise, it looks like BeWeather stretches/squishes them to display as square.

Do you think the resolution size matters, or that it just needs a square 1:1 aspect ratio? I've been resizing to 160x160. I don't want to do that if it's not necessary.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Have you checked many of the iconsets? Most of them still don't work well on the NC screen. There's a good handful that do, but probably less than a third. Is that what you get? Or is it my phone. Several here talk about how good it works with no problems. But are they checking all the iconsets? This is beta testing, and I'm gonna tell it like it is. For me, most of the iconsets are still not working on the NC screen. Not with 3 or more sections. Most do with 2, if one is "Current Conditions". For me personally, enough of them work with either 2 or 3 sections to keep me satisfied. It's great as it is. I would like to see the holiday sets work better, and more of them. That said, for the app to be offered in the App Store, it needs to work. And beta testing does no good if everyone just says how great it is. On my phone, it still has issues. But is it just me and my ancient iP 5 with it's A6 processor? I also have a problem with the map not staying closed. That's new with the latest beta version. Hank had that issue before. For the most part, this is a great weather app. But for final submission to the App Store, it still needs a bit of work. Mostly stabilizing the iconsets/sections for the NC widgets.

I would have to agree with you. It's not quite ready for the app store yet. There are still some minor bugs that need to be worked out in the widget section. I would say that approx 60% of the weather sets work, but only with three sections of the widget option on my device. The actual app works fine with the exception on adding personal weather sets. Not sure why your having problems with the map, it's working fine on my 5s.
As for saying it a great app..well it is, even with the bugs that will hopefully get "iron out"

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Have you checked many of the iconsets? Most of them still don't work well on the NC screen. There's a good handful that do, but probably less than a third. Is that what you get? Or is it my phone. Several here talk about how good it works with no problems. But are they checking all the iconsets? This is beta testing, and I'm gonna tell it like it is. For me, most of the iconsets are still not working on the NC screen. Not with 3 or more sections. Most do with 2, if one is "Current Conditions". For me personally, enough of them work with either 2 or 3 sections to keep me satisfied. It's great as it is. I would like to see the holiday sets work better, and more of them. That said, for the app to be offered in the App Store, it needs to work. And beta testing does no good if everyone just says how great it is. On my phone, it still has issues. But is it just me and my ancient iP 5 with it's A6 processor? I also have a problem with the map not staying closed. That's new with the latest beta version. Hank had that issue before. For the most part, this is a great weather app. But for final submission to the App Store, it still needs a bit of work. Mostly stabilizing the iconsets/sections for the NC widgets. .

I can’t argue with anything you said, Ledsteplin. But in Pfluger's defense (not that he needs me to defend him/his software), the issue with the iconsets could well be with some of the iconsets, and not the app. Since some (many? most?) work fine, it may be a subtle issue with the format of the image files. There are many apps that can be used to create the individual .png images - some adhere to the .png file format specs better than others, and file corruption can also be an issue/factor. Additionally, there are multiple programs and utilities for creating .zip compressed files. The issue could be with any of the above for the "bad" iconsets. My point is simply this: if only one set works, the issue could be with BeWeather. But because some (many? most?) work fine, the issue may be with the icons themselves and not BeWeather. I’m sure Pfluger has his team working to identify and correct any issues with BeWeather.

And I really find the issue with the map not staying closed annoying. Not "I am deleting this app and never using it again" annoying, but it certainly does make me crazy at times.

Finally, someone suggested adding the weather map as a possible widget item. I like that idea, and would give it a "+1".

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I can?t argue with anything you said, Ledsteplin. But in Pfluger's defense (not that he needs me to defend him/his software), the issue with the iconsets could well be with some of the iconsets, and not the app. Since some (many? most?) work fine, it may be a subtle issue with the format of the image files. There are many apps that can be used to create the individual .png images - some adhere to the .png file format specs better than others, and file corruption can also be an issue/factor. Additionally, there are multiple programs and utilities for creating .zip compressed files. The issue could be with any of the above for the "bad" iconsets. My point is simply this: if only one set works, the issue could be with BeWeather. But because some (many? most?) work fine, the issue may be with the icons themselves and not BeWeather. I?m sure Pfluger has his team working to identify and correct any issues with BeWeather.

And I really find the issue with the map not staying closed annoying. Not "I am deleting this app and never using it again" annoying, but it certainly does make me crazy at times.

Finally, someone suggested adding the weather map as a possible widget item. I like that idea, and would give it a "+1".

Agree. As far as the map as a widget, I still have weather underground. I keep it for the weather radio. So I can use their map. They're the same. But it would be nice for those who don't have weather underground.

DarkKnight08

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I am pretty sure this was mentioned, but if not, showing weather alerts in the Notification Center would be great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I am pretty sure this was mentioned, but if not, showing weather alerts in the Notification Center would be great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
They do. They show in the "notifications " side of the screen. They don't need to be a widget. They also show on my lock screen. BeWeather 2 is the only weather app I have that actually shows on the lock screen. Others are toggled on for lock screen, but don't show. Yet they do on my Wife's phone.

BigMike535

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm on a 5s and I'm not having an issue with the map either. I also haven't come across any icon sets that don't show up correctly in the NC, but I haven't checked too many of them yet.

Perhaps we should start a running matrix of icon sets and devices, for both NC and the app. This would help pfluger and team focus on the sets with issues and figure out what's going on. I'm willing to test them on my 5s and iPad 3. Anyone know of a shareable spreadsheet format that we can all edit at the same time? Google Docs?

pfluger

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site

I agree.

That widget has to be 100% stable for release. The next update should (hopefully) improve that.

pfluger

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Do you think the resolution size matters, or that it just needs a square 1:1 aspect ratio? I've been resizing to 160x160. I don't want to do that if it's not necessary.

The icons just need to have a 1:1 aspect ratio. The actual resolution does not matter. 160x160 is the largest size that is used in the app, but it will scale them up/down if necessary.

pfluger

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Agree. As far as the map as a widget, I still have weather underground. I keep it for the weather radio. So I can use their map. They're the same. But it would be nice for those who don't have weather underground.

We have the radar map for the widget on our list, but first the stability issues have to be worked out. Maps might not make it to the first official release.