How to play videos from SMB share from the iphone?

brems0r@gmail.com

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi there,

I am searching an application (free or paid) that supports the following:

* _streaming_ media (video, pictures, and audio) from my SMB-shared media library on my home server directly to my iphone over wifi

I already had a look at VLC which supports streaming over network, but unfortunately not via SMB but FTP :/
Also, DLNA is not an option for me since user access cannot be configured/restricted.

Help anybody?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
If the video is in a format that iTunes recognizes, all you need to do is add the videos to your iTunes library, and home-share the library. Same for audio. And you can set pictures to be synched via iTunes as well. You don't need any other apps.

brems0r@gmail.com

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi Keith, thanks for answering and the suggestions.

IIRC, the video files are mostly *.mkv containers with x264 codec.

I am not sure whether Itunes supports these codecs, but then again I don't even have it installed on my pc (and don't want to). Also I am no big fan of syncing (which basically is downloading content to a device and then playing it) but rather want to stream content on-demand over the network. I do realise the that there is significant user-friendliness of the apple ecosystem which is what you described. But there ought to be a solution for people that don't exclusively use apple products, which IMO should be the majority of users.

So my questions remains, are there any apps that will do what I want?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro