I'm looking for a solution to a problem that I have to think has a solution, but I haven't found it yet.

My wife recently purchased some CPA review audio to listen to on her commute. She downloaded the .MP3 files to her work computer and uploaded them to my Dropbox account, where they are now. She asked me to find a way for her to easily listen to the audio from her iPhone. Currently, her iPhone only syncs with iCloud and other cloud-based services, which we want to keep. I want to find an app that I could upload the audio files via a custom IP address. I found one called Smarter Audiobook (or something like that) but the app seems to be broken because the IP address would work.

Every other audiobook/podcast app I can find either have their own store for getting the books, which I don't need, or they pull books from the iPhone's Music app or iTunes. These files can't be uploaded to iTunes Match because the bit rate is too low, and we don't want to sync with iTunes if we can avoid it.

So what other options are out there? Any ideas? Thanks.
    11-11-2013 03:21 PM
    import the mp3 files into iTunes and sync to the phone... once imported, they can be played like podcasts... oh, wait - you've dismissed that as an option. Never mind...
    Fausty82 likes this.
    11-11-2013 03:24 PM
    I'm looking for a solution to a problem that I have to think has a solution, but I haven't found it yet.

My wife recently purchased some CPA review audio to listen to on her commute. She downloaded the .MP3 files to her work computer and uploaded them to my Dropbox account, where they are now. She asked me to find a way for her to easily listen to the audio from her iPhone. Currently, her iPhone only syncs with iCloud and other cloud-based services, which we want to keep. I want to find an app that I could upload the audio files via a custom IP address. I found one called Smarter Audiobook (or something like that) but the app seems to be broken because the IP address would work.

Every other audiobook/podcast app I can find either have their own store for getting the books, which I don't need, or they pull books from the iPhone's Music app or iTunes. These files can't be uploaded to iTunes Match because the bit rate is too low, and we don't want to sync with iTunes if we can avoid it.

So what other options are out there? Any ideas? Thanks.
    You lost me at the custom IP address thing but how about just creating a Soundcloud account, uploading them there and then just using the Soundcloud app for playback? It's all free and private.
    11-11-2013 03:42 PM
    Why doesn't Dropbox work? You should be able to play mp3 files in Dropbox.
    11-11-2013 04:08 PM
    Why doesn't Dropbox work? You should be able to play mp3 files in Dropbox.
    I just assumed he didn't want to fuss with his wife always using his dropbox account.
    11-11-2013 04:12 PM
    How about using the Amazon Cloud Player app?
    11-11-2013 05:16 PM
    I don't think it would remember the position, but how could I upload the files to the Amazon Cloud Player anyway (I don't use that app)?
    11-12-2013 12:06 AM
    Right. Also, it wouldn't remember her play position. But that might be the best option so far.
    11-12-2013 12:08 AM
    I've seen apps that use a numerical IP address to share files over a wifi network. Most of them are file management apps. It doesn't seem to be much of a stretch to use it for audio. I hadn't thought about the Soundcloud option. I'll have to think about that. Thanks.
    11-12-2013 12:10 AM
    I don't think it would remember the position, but how could I upload the files to the Amazon Cloud Player anyway (I don't use that app)?
    It would remember the position the same as the regular music player does.

You would use a computer to upload them to your Amazon Cloud account.
    11-12-2013 07:57 PM