Why Do We Install So many Similar Apps Without Using Them?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
When I was leading up to getting an iPhone during my BB days I started looking through the iTunes App Store and downloading all the apps I could get my hands on into iTunes be it weather apps, news apps, Productivity apps like Evernote, Dropbox, Password Apps and Sports apps. I grouped them all together and awaited my arrival home with my brand new 4S. Of course I set up my phone and then started to sync all my apps 56 of them that i had no idea what I was going to do with or use and how.

So now that I have my apps installed 2 years later and delete or add as needed I find myself doing the same thing..... 2 calendar apps, I use the Native app. 6 news apps, I use 3, 5 sports apps, I use 3 and so on I think you get the idea.
Since one of my jobs at iMore is to get conversation flowing, Help me out here because I know many people do this but why? Why do most of us have 3 Twitter apps and an example and use one. Why do we have so many apps to use for messaging now with the add of BBM? Why do we have so many apps that do the same but we never use them all but can't seem to part with them.

If you are the same way I would love to know the logic and how many of us do it and what our main likes are? Do you use Tweetbot but still have the the native Twitter app set up but never use it or vice versa. Now that you have the idea, Please post your response and let us all know. Thank you for participating!

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
I do the samething, if I see an app that interests me. I will download it, even though I pretty much already have it on something else.
then as always delete a day or two later. think it is just looking for the next best thing. which is really crazy because 9 out 10 the next best thing is
the app I already have.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
My app addiction is for calendar apps and weather apps and photo editing apps
I have 6 calendar apps that all sync to icloud and the native app. They have some different features I have them all in a folder and just pick one to input info. I may use one for a week then another just to change things up.
I use 7 weather apps Solar,Weather 2x,Yahoo,Ultraweather,Swackett,Nice Weather and the Native Weather App.
My go to is Solar but for extended weather I'll use Weather2x. The others I might just pick one and use it.

#Naked Tuesday

youstink

Oct 26, 2013
twitter.com
I. The same durn way.....I have 42 camera/filter apps...every equine (horse) app...and I download then uninstall almost 2 to 3 twitter apps a day. Lol ....is there counseling for this ....plus I do a factory reset once a wk cause of downloading and uninstalling so many apps a wk. I hv the 30 gig plan on AT&T and use probably 8 gig a month downloading and uninstalling apps.. FIRST THING IS ADMITTING I HV A PROBLEM LOL HELP ...BUT SERIOUSLY I DO THESE THINGS

I'm glad I left android for iOS

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Excellent thread, sir. :)...I think we've all done something similar, but have ended up only keeping those apps that we find essential -- at least that's what I do.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm just the opposite. I can't stand to clutter my device with apps that I know I won't use. I use the native weather app, I've never even looked at another weather app. I use theScore for my sports app. I have installed and deleted a couple other sports apps. News apps the same way. That's just me!

youstink

Oct 26, 2013
twitter.com
Yup there should be a tv show about phone/tablet addicts ...
I believe I saw it on fox that several congressman were tryin to pass a bill concerning addiction to phones...
No joke ...I do know Wall Street journal did along report on it

I'm glad I left android and came to iOS

Tre Lawrence

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
If I don't use an app in three or four days, I generally delete it (or back it up for future one touch recall).

Either way, an app had to earn a spot on my device.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Excellent thread, sir. :)...I think we've all done something similar, but have ended up only keeping those apps that we find essential -- at least that's what I do.
This is why I started this thread because essentially I do the same thing. I just wonder what drives all of us that are the ones that keep them to keep them and hardly ever use them? I have gotten my app selection down now to about 2 of each catagory meaning Productivity like EverNote and Wunderlist or 2 different ESPN apps. Dropbox, @ different Password apps...Personal and business. So... I have learned to get rid of what I don't use, I am now down to only 3 news apps and a radio news app.

Maybe because of my old habits I have learned to just leave well enough alone unless it is really an app that is going to make my life easier...any.do...any every single day app. that I can't ever get rid of...LOL

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Keep this type of personal habit going. We might just find out what draws us to this behavior as well as tells us how much money iTunes makes off us although I have 1 paid app of all the apps i have. The rest were free or gifted or given by a dev to try and to keep forever.

youstink

Oct 26, 2013
twitter.com
Sence buying apps from the android market in 08 with the g1 and now in the App Store I've had to download several thousand easy plus paid for at least 500.... 😫😱😥😪😭😂I need help

I'm glad I left android and came to iOS

EauRouge

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I think that we all do this to a certain extent. I do, thats for sure! Although while downloading them, I try to be strict with myself. But when they're downloaded they're here to stay. Its news/sports apps that get me, especially when particular teams have a dedicated app. Luckily, I can throw all those in a folder ;)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73