Hello,

I'd love to get you all's thoughts - I'm looking for a robust messaging app (meaning, does text, photo/video, and (if possible) push-to-talk messaging) that also doesn't do the thing during setup where it scans your address book and adds everyone as a contact. It seems like I can find apps that satisfy one or the other criteria, but not both. (For example, Kik isn't spammy, but it doesn't do much other than text. An app like Viber is very robust, but also very spammy.) (And, I'm not looking for a encrypted chat app or anything like that. I'm just looking for one that won't add everyone I've ever put in my phone as a chat contact that can see when I'm idle and send me video messages!)

Your thoughts would be much appreciated, thanks!
    09-23-2013 06:05 PM
    I could be mistaken, but I *think* BBM (Blackberry Messenger) may be sufficient for your needs, however, it is not officially released for Android and iOS yet.
    adamnmurad likes this.
    09-23-2013 06:17 PM
    All those apps should have to ask if they can access your Contacts. Just say no and if you like Viber then use that.
    adamnmurad likes this.
    09-23-2013 07:06 PM
    All those apps should have to ask if they can access your Contacts. Just say no and if you like Viber then use that.
    Thanks! But, from what I've seen, the "spammy" brand of apps are more or less crippled if you don't allow access to contacts (for example, Whatsapp). Is there an app you recommend that is full-featured and doesn't require access to your contacts (or, if you don't allow it to access your contacts, still works just fine)?
    09-23-2013 11:23 PM
    I would have to agree from a long time ago and my BB days and BBM this would be your wisest choice when it is released for out platform. Hang in there and do some more searching on your end by search engines and continued dialog with others.
    adamnmurad likes this.
    09-24-2013 09:17 PM