Navigation: Garmin vs TomTom vs Navigon

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I did a forum search for this, and the most recent thread I found was from two years ago. A lot of change since then...

I currently use a 4~5 year old Garmin Nuvi in my car, and I am strongly considering replacing it with a navigation app on my iPhone, in part to reduce the clutter. And considering that these are some of the most expensive items in the app store with essentially a "no refunds" policy, I'm looking to see if anyone has any realworld comparisons of them. Features, performance, usability, etc.

This is for use in the US lower 48.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I've found Navigon to be a similar end user experience to my Garmin Nuvi765T.

Whatever you pick for an app get one that stores maps on device so if you're out of cell coverage, you'll still have use of full maps.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I've found Navigon to be a similar end user experience to my Garmin Nuvi765T.

Whatever you pick for an app get one that stores maps on device so if you're out of cell coverage, you'll still have use of full maps.

All three that I listed do store on the device, and is why I didn't include Scout, Waze, etc, in the list. :)

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I lived by TomTom for years. I've recently started using the built-in Maps and have been perfectly happy.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I've been using Navigon for several years now and have been perfectly satisfied with it. The maps are quick to get updated and the App has always been reliable in terms of getting me where I need to go. For a free alternative, give Apple Maps a try too.

Sent from my iPad Mini using iMore Forums mobile app

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I specifically want the on-board map data. Now that data usage is under quota (again!) I don't want to waste it on mapping. I have been testing the capabilities with Google Maps though.

Apple Maps, IMO, suck. I have tried it and well over half the location data is flat out wrong in my region, with some businesses being marked as far as a mile away from their actual locations. It's so bad, I gave up on submitting corrections and switched back to Google Maps. Now, if Apple were to pay for map corrections.... :)

Also, I am often enough traveling in areas where there simply is no cellular reception, so that's a deal-killer right there.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2