GMail for iOS vs. Stock Mail App

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I tend to use iCloud for email, as I'm trying to ween myself off Google services. As Peter Cohen wrote not too long ago, Apple appears to be in the online services business for the long haul, especially given the billions they've invested in data centers.

Also don't know the future of Gmail...it's proven, with Google Reader being shuttered, they're not afraid to kill products. I truly don't expect Gmail to go anywhere, though, as it's a key source of ad revenue. Having said that, who's to say they don't roll it into Google+ or attempt some other kind of integration...yuck. I could see that...just how Facebook wants you to do all your messaging and email through them.

Anyway, everyone who uses Gmail should try the Mailbox app, and link it to your Dropbox for an extra 1GB of Dropbox storage. Pretty sweet and easy deal. Mailbox is a very interesting approach to Gmail management.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums app

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I agree. I have to say, I do like the new inbox though. I don't have to scroll through a bunch of titter and Facebook email just to get to the people who I want to talk to. Know what I mean?

Don't get me wrong, that is a great feature. But sifting through all the settings on the browser version almost makes my head spin. They are turning into Microsoft, but with colors.

Also, I would use iCloud if it wasn't for the small amount of space you get for everything connected to it. By the time my backups are stored, I only have around 3GB of space left, while google gives me 15. If Apple were to in increase the size, then I would consider using it as my main address.

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I would use iCloud if it wasn't for the small amount of space you get for everything connected to it. By the time my backups are stored, I only have around 3GB of space left, while google gives me 15. If Apple were to in increase the size, then I would consider using it as my main address.

When my two years of complimentary MobileMe-converted storage ends soon, I'll be getting 25GB for $40/year. That's only $3.33/month, for no ads and platform integration. Easy decision.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums app

jayxpx

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I have tried both and they both work very well...I currently favor the stock app solely because it allows emailing videos. I use the Gmail Exchange setup for business and need to send short videos to customers all the time and none of the other Gmail apps (mailbox included) will allow you to send videos through the app.

JustlMe

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I used both and i would prefer stock ~ because i work with a few email adds, and having them all working in one place is just more convenient for me. Push isn't a real biggie for me so stock just fits all my needs.

I would recommend you to try both for a month and see which you just like using better :). I would also recommend you an app called mailbox, tried it and liked it.

Scott Schumacher

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I use both. Stock App for every day email. Google Mail App when I need to do a search. The stock app never seems to find old emails after they are a week old ... even when you click search on server.

arwaldon4

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I used the gmail for iOS app for a while then switched back to the native mail app. I find it more fluid and just simple. Minimalism at its best.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2