GMail for iOS vs. Stock Mail App

MrZ_Tech

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Gmail users out there,

Which do you use: the gmail app for iOS or the stock mail app? Right now, I am currently using the gmail app. I love the new inbox feature. But I love the VIP feature in the stock app. Which do you use and why?

Sent from my iPhone 5 Sprint 16 GB Black using Tapatalk - now Free

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
If the stock app allowed push notifications, I would use that in a heart beat. For now, I use the gmail app. I am getting a bit tired of googles continued changes to gmail lately though. They are making it much too complicated.

MrZ_Tech

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
If the stock app allowed push notifications, I would use that in a heart beat. For now, I use the gmail app. I am getting a bit tired of googles continued changes to gmail lately though. They are making it much too complicated.

I agree. I have to say, I do like the new inbox though. I don't have to scroll through a bunch of titter and Facebook email just to get to the people who I want to talk to. Know what I mean?

sanc333

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

stock app offers push notification. go to settings then notification then enable the app to send push notification.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
I use the stock mail app but I still have Exchange. But once I have to change devices or restore as new, I consider the Gmail app.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
One thing I really dislike about the stock app is that it doesn't support gmail aliases...I have one account that I can use five Send As addresses with, but iOS Mail only allows sending mail as the main name on the account?EVEN when I'm replying to a mail sent to one of the alias addresses.

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I use the stock mail app but I still have Exchange. But once I have to change devices or restore as new, I consider the Gmail app.
Same here.

I also have Outlook email setup as Exchange and really like the layout and clean look if it.

Sent From My iPhone 5 Using Tapatalk

Dieselstro

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
You can get Gmail to push on iPhone stock mail app. All you have to do is go the mail settings and set up new email, select Exchange, put you Gmail user name and password, then under server put m.google.com. Now you have Push Gmail.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You can get Gmail to push on iPhone stock mail app. All you have to do is go the mail settings and set up new email, select Exchange, put you Gmail user name and password, then under server put m.google.com. Now you have Push Gmail.

Unless something has changed since January 31st, that is incorrect. Those who still have exchange setup on their devices can continue using it until they change devices or restore as new. At that point, they will lose their push gmail unless they use Google Paid services or use the gmail app.

mynameis

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

I agree. I understand that putting 3 different categories makes it more organized, but Google is changing a lot of things constantly. I'm still using the Gmail app and I do love it. We'll just have to see what else they throw into it.

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I use the gmail app here. I like it a lot and also agree they are starting to make things a bit more complicated, but that doesn't prevent me from using it.
It works very well and has a good integration with G+,Chrome, YouTube.

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I do like the app, but I wish emails loaded faster and I would have liked better interapp communication, but we all know how that is on iOS. So I am going to stick with the stock app, which at the end of the day isn't bad at all.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

leathernuts#WP

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I use stock with jb mail enhancer pro. Allows me to color code my different email accts. nothing obtrusive either. Just a slight color bar far left. Allows me to select all. Looks stock as if it came on the phone. Quick gestures for mark read or delete or even flag per individual email all the while retaining the native ui.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro