Hey - look - this thread became part of a blog story... Apple Maps one year later: The good, the bad, and the future | iMore
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    08-09-2013 09:47 AM
    Hey - look - this thread became part of a blog story... Apple Maps one year later: The good, the bad, and the future | iMore
    Congrats to the following members for being mentioned in the blog story:

n8ter#AC
    Ventus221
    kch50428
    Jaguarr40
    Chetan Takyar
    dc9super80

Thank you, Richard Devine for writing an excellent article.....Well done....
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 08-09-2013 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Added a Thanks to the Blogger
    anon5664829 and kch50428 like this.
    08-09-2013 09:52 AM
    Is GPS broken on your new Nexus 7? | Android Central -- Will the Nexus7 get the same treatment Apple Maps got by the blogosphere?

<sfx: Crickets>
    anon5664829 likes this.
    08-09-2013 12:15 PM
    Ok so i tried Apple Maps again yesterday since I haven't used it in a while. FIrst off I was trying to go to the gym so I search 24 hour fitness and it doesn't even find the gym I'm looking for which is like 3-4 miles away. I search with google maps and it pops up instantly. This is southern california, not some small city in kansas....
    08-09-2013 12:56 PM
    Is GPS broken on your new Nexus 7? | Android Central -- Will the Nexus7 get the same treatment Apple Maps got by the blogosphere?

<sfx: Crickets>
    You know it won't.
    08-09-2013 01:26 PM
    Yay
    08-09-2013 03:37 PM
    I have always been a big TomTom advocate. I recently started using Apple Maps, and have pushed TomTom back to page 3 of my apps. I haven't had any problems with Maps, and the rerouting is fast with no annoyance.
    Jaguarr40 and anon5664829 like this.
    08-09-2013 05:27 PM
    Going from BWI (Baltimore Airport) to Gaithersburg, MD Wrong Exit listed, correct route but wrong instructions 8/1/2013.

Going from Plymouth, MI to Blissville, MI took me off the highway in a circle then back on the highway..... That was on 8/16 Love the interface but the maps leave alot to be desired. You can map them for yourself and see. Exit 31 on the BWI and the Blissville takes you through Dundee,MI incorrectly
    09-02-2013 02:23 AM
    Going from BWI (Baltimore Airport) to Gaithersburg, MD Wrong Exit listed, correct route but wrong instructions 8/1/2013.

Going from Plymouth, MI to Blissville, MI took me off the highway in a circle then back on the highway..... That was on 8/16 Love the interface but the maps leave alot to be desired. You can map them for yourself and see. Exit 31 on the BWI and the Blissville takes you through Dundee,MI incorrectly
    Did you drop a pin and use the 'Report A Problem' button to get it corrected?
    09-02-2013 07:49 AM
    It's just the consumer perception. Back when Apple Maps was released, it was severely flawed. Even though the service is better now, people can't get it out of their minds.
    09-02-2013 02:59 PM
    I use the Apple maps app all the time. I haven't found any issues with it yet. I like the way it looks and it seems to be pretty fast. I don't really see a difference between the Apple maps and the Google Maps.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using iMore Forums mobile app
    anon5664829 likes this.
    09-03-2013 04:32 AM
    Did you drop a pin and use the 'Report A Problem' button to get it corrected?
    That's another issue that people bring up. You report a problem...but it never actually gets fixed.

Guacho reported that the discrepancies he reported a long time ago haven't been fixed. The ones that I submitted several months ago are also still not fixed. Contrast this with Google, who fixes error reports much quicker (according to those who have done both). What good are submitting corrections if they are never acted upon?
    09-03-2013 12:02 PM
    That's another issue that people bring up. You report a problem...but it never actually gets fixed.

Guacho reported that the discrepancies he reported a long time ago haven't been fixed. The ones that I submitted several months ago are also still not fixed. Contrast this with Google, who fixes error reports much quicker (according to those who have done both). What good are submitting corrections if they are never acted upon?
    Sadly, I think you're right.
    After my previous post, I checked on a correction I submitted in the spring.
    Still wrong.
    09-03-2013 12:12 PM
    Used Apple Maps about 6 times this past week and it worked flawless. On the return trips, Google worked just as well... User preference in some areas I guess...
    anon5664829 and Jaguarr40 like this.
    09-03-2013 01:44 PM
    Used Apple Maps about 6 times this past week and it worked flawless. On the return trips, Google worked just as well... User preference in some areas I guess...
    I have always been a big TomTom advocate. I recently started using Apple Maps, and have pushed TomTom back to page 3 of my apps. I haven't had any problems with Maps, and the rerouting is fast with no annoyance.
    I agree with both of these posts and use it all the time with no trouble what so ever. Also mainly people that bad mouth don't know how to use it, Don't give it a chance and are more than likely thinking about what the app was replaced and first came out. It has come a long way and Apple has worked very hard to get it right and have done a tremendous job.

Lastly don't think that any app including this one will ever be flawless but it is a heck of a lot better now.
    09-03-2013 05:52 PM
    I recently went on a vacation in Florida and it was accurate all around Tampa and Orlando and everywhere in between. It didn't fail me once.
    09-03-2013 07:44 PM
    I recently went hiking with my GF. We used nav to get to the parking lot of the lake by the trail... and Apple Maps on her iPhone 5 took us in to a neighborhood about 1/2 mile away... I used Google Maps on my 4 to get us to the right place.
    09-04-2013 10:55 PM
    I recently went hiking with my GF. We used nav to get to the parking lot of the lake by the trail... and Apple Maps on her iPhone 5 took us in to a neighborhood about 1/2 mile away... I used Google Maps on my 4 to get us to the right place.
    When Apple Maps were first introduced to us, I had similar incidents, but nothing major, and I haven't experienced any wrong directions in quite some time. Still, I've had to use Apple Maps to correct wrong directions given by Google Maps, but again, nothing major and it hasn't happened in quite some time. They both are excellent apps, but neither is perfect.
    09-05-2013 09:24 AM
    I was using Apple Maps on one occasion just a couple months ago and it had me exit the interstate, drive four miles down a road just to come back around and catch the interstate again at the next exit. Although, I suppose I was happy it was actually wanting me to be on a "road" that time.

So, Apple Maps will get you where you need to go, it just takes the "scenic route".
    09-05-2013 02:37 PM
    I was using Apple Maps on one occasion just a couple months ago and it had me exit the interstate, drive four miles down a road just to come back around and catch the interstate again at the next exit. Although, I suppose I was happy it was actually wanting me to be on a "road" that time.

So, Apple Maps will get you where you need to go, it just takes the "scenic route".
    A Garmin Nuvi will exhibit the same behavior - if you set it up to give you the shortest route - it will...
    09-05-2013 02:42 PM
    personally I only navigated with apple maps once, I was trying to find a business out of town to apply for work. Although The name of the business I was initially seeking came up and was added to my route supposedly, Maps took me to an abandoned home's address with no relevance to the business I was initially seeking. Since then I've used google maps but I have no vendetta with apple maps as I understood it was still in it's early stages at the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    11-17-2013 08:36 AM
    People do that because it doesn't compare to what google maps use to be. This maps thing is new to Apple as of last year.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    11-17-2013 09:07 AM
    Yes, they used to be wrong but just the other day I used my iPad to get to a destination and I left my phone(Nexus 4) on charge and it had no issues taking me there. NOTE: I do NOT live in the US, I live in a country called New Zealand.
    Because it still sucks. I don't live in a major metro area, but I'm not out in the middle of nowhere, either. Apple Maps is still flat out WRONG on most location searches I do, placing address or business location searches as much as a mile away from their correct locations. Sometimes on the opposite side of the street, sometimes off just enough to make you miss the turn. Some streets are incorrectly marked as one-way, two-way or divided.

I have submitted update changes for many of these months ago and again weeks ago, and the errors have not been addressed nor have I received any kind of confirmation, acknowledgement or question about them.

I note that Apple claims that the primary cartographic data source is TomTom, but I know for a fact that TomTom has none of the issues noted above.

Google Maps does not have any of those issues.

Garmin Street Pilot USA does not have any of those issues.
    11-18-2013 11:03 AM
    Because it still sucks.
    Agreed. I used Apple Maps yesterday to navigate to an address in my area and was led in the complete opposite direction. I then typed the address into Google Maps and it navigated me where I needed to go perfectly. Bottom line: Apple Maps still has a LONG way to go.
    11-18-2013 09:06 PM
    Agreed. I used Apple Maps yesterday to navigate to an address in my area and was led in the complete opposite direction. I then typed the address into Google Maps and it navigated me where I needed to go perfectly. Bottom line: Apple Maps still has a LONG way to go.
    Just like in real estate... it’s all about location... where I live, work and play, Apple maps has been flawless. There are always two sides to every issue.
    11-18-2013 09:14 PM
104 ... 2345