Odd. It must be because my country is comparatively small so they were able to map it well.
    08-06-2013 04:05 PM
    Odd. It must be because my country is comparatively small so they were able to map it well.
    The vendors Apple is using for data likely are responsible for having your locale covered well...
    anon5664829 likes this.
    08-06-2013 04:11 PM
    I really like the Apple maps. Before they weren't so great and I leaned more to google maps, but with these new features that it has, it is more enjoyable. It works pretty well for me.
    08-06-2013 04:49 PM
    You got me wrong. I'm not mad at apple maps at all. I'm saying, that it's useless here. And yes, I can say this, because this is the purpose of this thread. "Why do people rag on Apple Maps?" I saw what apple maps can do in other parts of the world and I was amazed.
    I don't want to flame, but as it seems, google could build Taco Bell in Alaska. Why should i expect less from Apple?
    What surprises me is your reaction, but i don't wanna argue with you, as it seems, you can't even grasp the reason of a forum thread, the reason behind a forum post.
    Weird...these were your words...

this is why i hate apple maps.
    ...and then you went on to say something about not giving you the usual answers. You seem confused by your own posts...short term memory issues perhaps, who knows. In the end, if the maps don't work for you that is all fine and good, options exist out there and expressing that it doesn't work for you is just as relevant and legitimate as those of us who express a liking of the software...it's when you take it upon yourself to discredit others to an extent of telling them not to give the "usual answers"...you don't want to hear it, your experience is that it doesn't work, so hearing that it does work for others is a moot point, right?

I grasp the reasoning of a forum thread quite clearly...you, on the other hand, decided to tell people not to argue with you (and you also decided to take pot shots in the process), if anyone is having a tough time grasping a public forum, it's the one telling the other not to express their opinion, lol!
    08-06-2013 04:51 PM
    Weird...these were your words...

...and then you went on to say something about not giving you the usual answers. You seem confused by your own posts...short term memory issues perhaps, who knows. In the end, if the maps don't work for you that is all fine and good, options exist out there and expressing that it doesn't work for you is just as relevant and legitimate as those of us who express a liking of the software...it's when you take it upon yourself to discredit others to an extent of telling them not to give the "usual answers"...you don't want to hear it, your experience is that it doesn't work, so hearing that it does work for others is a moot point, right?

I grasp the reasoning of a forum thread quite clearly...you, on the other hand, decided to tell people not to argue with you (and you also decided to take pot shots in the process), if anyone is having a tough time grasping a public forum, it's the one telling the other not to express their opinion, lol!
    He was frustrated. Let it go man.
    08-06-2013 05:04 PM
    This is an interesting topic. Please stick to the discussion of "Why do people rag on Apple Maps".

Thanks.
    Just_Me_D and anon5664829 like this.
    08-06-2013 05:53 PM
    I think people should give there approximate location or country so we can see the countries that are lacking.
    08-06-2013 06:34 PM
    I think people should give there approximate location or country so we can see the countries that are lacking.
    Lacking? In what way are you referring?
    08-06-2013 06:36 PM
    Lacking? In what way are you referring?
    As in which countries are lacking significant mapping data
    08-06-2013 06:43 PM
    Oh okay. Got it. Thanks for the clarification...
    08-06-2013 06:44 PM
    Because I was used to google maps on my galaxy s2 n s3. I tried apple maps and didn't really like it. The traffic wasn't as detailed as google maps. Google maps traffic would show where it's green and red including surface streets. Also I don't like how u can't zoom out during navigation in apple maps.
    08-06-2013 07:15 PM
    I could've sworn this thread was locked?!?!
    08-06-2013 08:59 PM
    it was another one...
    08-06-2013 09:07 PM
    Significant is probably a relative term depending upon where one lives. When studying Apple - iOS 6 Feature Availability I found that as features like Directions are layered on, the country coverage lessens. This may help explain the lack of or be a contributing cause to the locales where street names are missing.

In the last century when living in Asia, for one project I relied upon British maps from the WWII era. It's not that long ago. Unless someone - a country, company, or consortium commissions an exhaustive mapping survey - then older maps and the geographies they represent may not be updated or transformed into digitally consumable format. That's why I can see some real application for and benefit from crowd and Open Sourced maps. A much lower barrier to entry and the ability to grow organically over time assuming consistent and accurate participation and usage.
    08-06-2013 09:45 PM
    It was locked...for some reason someone wanted to chime in and decided to open it back up for more redundant discussion about this. Should have been locked when it was started, considering there was a thread identical to it on the same day sitting right next to it.
    08-07-2013 07:39 AM
    I loved Apple Maps. It was always accurate for me. I say loved because I'm back using my iPhone 4 on
    iOS 5.0.1 and my computer won't recognize my phone, so I can't upgrade. It was great while it lasted.
    08-07-2013 09:03 AM
    I live in the US, specifically west Kansas City. I also travel to various points in the country for work and have seen errors in different locations.

For my own home address, if you do not specify the subscript of 'th' (e.g. 58th street), it drops my location a mile to the northwest, all because you don't include the 'th'. That's just silly. Poor interpretation of address entries that Google Maps does not require.

Where I live, the subdivision a half mile to my north is half missing in Apple Maps. Half of the roads are just not there. Inaccurate data.

In lower Manhattan in NYC, it cannot find an entire skyscraper because it thinks that an address at 1 Battery Place and 1 Battery Park Plaza are one and the same location, when they're different. More inaccurate data.

In West Palm Beach, FL, it thinks that a location on Okochobee Blvd and *Old* Okochobee Blvd are the same location, when they're two completely different locations separated by about a half mile. Yet again, bad data at work.

What's more annoying (and someone else touched on this) is that if you do submit errors and corrections, it seems that they are never acted upon whereas Google is fairly quick to make corrections when submitted.

It's clear that Google has much more resources committed to its maps product (as well as many more years of a head start) and more fine-tuned data. Whatever data Apple has been relying on for their maps has more inaccuracies compared to Google. This is in my own observed experience, not from reading a tech blog conditioning my opinion.

I do know that Apple has been more aggressive in buying up location data startups to bolster their mapping data, which is a great thing. Although I still wonder how robust of a solution that is vs. Google gathering all their data in-house? I'm surprised that Apple isn't using at least a portion of it's massive cash pile to really go all in bolstering their mapping data. They have the money to do it.
    Last edited by mulasien; 08-07-2013 at 10:06 AM.
    08-07-2013 09:54 AM
    For me both Apple's and Google's services have had their moments. While the latter is more polished, I prefer to use the former for navigation. I am surprised at how well the search engine has improved on Maps compared to what it was before. Still needs work though. I am looking forward to the day when I can just use one, preferably Apple's.
    08-07-2013 10:46 AM
    It was locked by mistake. I re-openned it. We almost never lock threads. Here's a parable:

I once had a teacher who was absolutely amazing at something. I asked him how he got that way. He said he went back and took his lessons 3 times. I thought he was nuts. He explained, however, that every time it was taught a little differently, and that different people asked different questions. By going back, he got more answers, and he came to understand the subject matter very deeply.

He was one of the finest craftsman I've ever met. He understood the value of repetition.

There will always be duplicate threads. There will always be people who fail to find value in discussion.

That's fine. No one has to participate in every discussion on every topic.

But the more times something is discussed, the greater the odds of new people finding it, of new points being raised, of new questions and new answers being generated.

I'll stop before i punish anyone with "nature has billions of beautiful, unique snowflakes" because, yuck. But I hope you get the point.

A closed thread is an admission of failure. We don't fail. We don't close threads.

We discuss things. We enjoy each other's opinions. We're a community.

Insert hippie joke here.

​Clear enough?
    08-07-2013 11:46 AM
    Admission of failure? lol...come on. This is a quantity vs. quality issue, but hey, I'm just a drop in the bucket here, and if that is ok with yall, go for it.

This was a duplicate thread of a thread started on the same day at the same time with the same EXACT discussion going on...that's simple post whoring (kind of like the 4 other posts where this OP talks about how he's getting another iphone, or thinking about getting another iPhone).

Didn't seem like a mistake, but again...the world will keep spinning. We do discuss things, but sometimes it's incredibly obvious when we have so many of these types of posts that the content of the forum itself is becoming quite thin.

Either way, last i have to say about it personally. I won't derail this anymore.
    08-07-2013 12:19 PM

Either way, last i have to say about it personally. I won't derail this anymore.
    Good.
    anon5664829 likes this.
    08-07-2013 12:40 PM
    Hopefully there was some transparency or discussion with the mod who locked it BEFORE it was re-opened. Mods here do an amazing job at their own discretion and it would be a shame for this particular one to feel undermined!
    08-07-2013 01:51 PM
    I also prefer Apples as it will work real well with my devices( I already have OSX mavericks and being able to send directs to my iPad is great!)
    08-07-2013 09:51 PM
    Works great for me.
    anon5664829 likes this.
    08-08-2013 05:20 PM
    Works great for me.
    Its nice, it works where I live too. I still use Google Maps, old habits die hard, but when I get Mavericks, the incentive to use Apple Maps more will be there.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    anon5664829 likes this.
    08-08-2013 06:01 PM
104 12345