Beside some of the common bugs, It's seen as a departure of quality for Apple. They abandoned a mapping solution that is better (Google Maps) and replaced it with something that was deemed sub par by a huge contingent of the tech community. People "rag" on it because its not a quality product that Apple is known for and it was an embarrassment for the company. People still harp on it to rub salt in the wound. Personally, Apple maps isn't terrible, it's just Google Maps has been refined for years longer and has a massive user base for use it more than the Apple variation. It's not as refined as G-Maps and in time could be refined to the same degree if not more so.
    BLiNK, Xm_jdm and redbeard like this.
    07-31-2013 08:50 PM
    This is just silly and we could go on for hours, plenty of options out there, if you like either we're happy about it but please move on...
    07-31-2013 08:57 PM
    Those experiences are not unique to Apple Maps... It happens on Gamin Nuvis... TomToms... and has happened to me with Google Maps & Navigon too... people hate on Apple Maps because they can... and some of them, because they want to to hate on Apple.
    The same could be said about people who hates Google maps for not being made by Apple... There are haters on both sides..
    redbeard likes this.
    07-31-2013 09:00 PM
    Just saying that I see lots of things people are saying are 'bad' about Apple Maps can, and do happen on other devices and apps and are not exclusive problems to Apple... and the last part of what I said above was NOT directed to anyone in particular.
    Hey Keith, trust me I've seen it on here and other forums many times and trust me I agree with you 100%. I think some day Apple Maps will be on par with other Apps like Google, Navigon, ect... But like all good things it will take some time, and hopefully people won't bash them without trying it first.
    07-31-2013 09:02 PM
    Beside some of the common bugs, It's seen as a departure of quality for Apple. They abandoned a mapping solution that is better (Google Maps) and replaced it with something that was deemed sub par by a huge contingent of the tech community. People "rag" on it because its not a quality product that Apple is known for and it was an embarrassment for the company. People still harp on it to rub salt in the wound. Personally, Apple maps isn't terrible, it's just Google Maps has been refined for years longer and has a massive user base for use it more than the Apple variation. It's not as refined as G-Maps and in time could be refined to the same degree if not more so.
    I fail to see the infatuation with Google... if it's the only thing you've ever used, you'll think it's great... but coming from using stand-alone PNDs since having a Garmin Nuvi 350... to my present Nuvi 765t... frankly Google hasn't held a candle to that end user experience for me... and I find Navigon and Garmin's StreetPilot apps better than Google.
    07-31-2013 09:06 PM
    The same could be said about people who hates Google maps for not being made by Apple... There are haters on both sides..
    My antipathy for Google is noted above...
    07-31-2013 09:10 PM
    in the interest of balance, this is why i love apple maps

Attachment 35501

accurate, reliable, beautiful, ticking all the boxes, especially with iOS7, imo improving the experience even more.
    Screw the maps... you have a Batman Avenue? THAT is awesome.
    07-31-2013 09:10 PM
    My antipathy for Google is noted above...
    And you are in good company, Sir.
    07-31-2013 09:11 PM
    Ready... Fight!
    07-31-2013 09:15 PM
    LMFAO! Don't give you the "usual answers"? Why? Because it's reality and you're having problems because you live in a little Romanian town? (200k is a bit optimistic btw, lol).

Perhaps some of the farmlands with populations of 4 should start complaining too...and telling people who live in major metropolitan areas not to give them the "usual answer". Give me a freakin' break.

You know why nothing has changed? Because there are significantly higher priorities than your little town.
    and that Sir... was mean .
    redbeard, Xm_jdm and mszilard like this.
    07-31-2013 09:34 PM
    Maybe the possibility of the old school thinking of the problems that existed when Maps first came out and had issues ...moving present day and some gave up and stopped using it, Some did not help in the process of reporting issues and some don't understand it or are use to something else that works for them so therefore you have many differing answers.

I myself have no issues and it works every time I use it. There are always going to be exceptions but from launch until now it is a totally different app that deserves it's chance IMO.
    07-31-2013 09:41 PM
    LMFAO! Don't give you the "usual answers"? Why? Because it's reality and you're having problems because you live in a little Romanian town? (200k is a bit optimistic btw, lol).

Perhaps some of the farmlands with populations of 4 should start complaining too...and telling people who live in major metropolitan areas not to give them the "usual answer". Give me a freakin' break.

You know why nothing has changed? Because there are significantly higher priorities than your little town.
    Now that's just rude.
    redbeard and Xm_jdm like this.
    07-31-2013 09:56 PM
    lets keep this discussion friendly guys..... Thank you.
    pr1nce, anon5664829 and Guacho like this.
    07-31-2013 10:24 PM
    you GO GIRL!
    Guacho likes this.
    07-31-2013 10:34 PM
    I swear to god you weren't mod before.....
    07-31-2013 10:47 PM
    Screw the maps... you have a Batman Avenue? THAT is awesome.
    haha yes, street doesn't measure up to the name though. how could it.
    08-01-2013 01:18 AM
    I fail to see the infatuation with Google... if it's the only thing you've ever used, you'll think it's great... but coming from using stand-alone PNDs since having a Garmin Nuvi 350... to my present Nuvi 765t... frankly Google hasn't held a candle to that end user experience for me... and I find Navigon and Garmin's StreetPilot apps better than Google.
    I agree with the lack of a refined user experience for me from Google Maps. I feel that the overall experience is a tad buried and confusing for me to use. While even though this is the case for me sometimes, the level of polish on bored and the trust I put in maps has not failed me in almost three years. I sadly do not have much experience with those personally but my brother love's PND's .
    08-01-2013 01:30 AM
    It's all good. Just didn't work for me. I always let the default Apple Maps try it's thing. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
    08-01-2013 01:31 AM

Thank you for your input. It was really constructive. Maybe you should just refrain from posting, if you don't wanna make an *** out of your mouth.
    anon5664829 likes this.
    08-01-2013 02:37 AM
    Let's not get to carried away here. Google is not evil or such.
    08-01-2013 03:03 AM
    Thank you for your input. It was really constructive. Maybe you should just refrain from posting, if you don't wanna make an *** out of your mouth.
    He is reported. I suggest you do the same.
    08-01-2013 06:33 AM
    and that Sir... was mean .
    Now that's just rude.
    He is reported. I suggest you do the same.
    Report away! I could care less if you think it was rude, or whatever "making an a$$ out of your mouth" means...you know what i find rude? Coming on here, giving a reason why you hate apple maps and then saying something like "Don't give me the same usual answers" as if people's defense of the software is some how less legitimate than your own because you live in a tiny little romanian town and you're getting all bent out of shape because Apple isn't jumping through hoops to make sure every nook and cranny is covered in your little corner of the world.

Face it folks...whether you think I'm being rude, untactful or even mean, the bottom line here is that we have a thread that should have been closed when it started because it's redundant and we already have a conversation going about this EXACT subject matter, and then we had this guy come in here and basically tell everyone that regardless of your experience with Apple maps, it's still a pile of sh*t because his little town doesn't have some local streets listed on it in the middle of nowhere.

Feel free to report it though, won't be the first time, and certainly won't be the last...I also enjoy the pot shots as well, considering I've yet to take any, it would seem those of you complaining about me being judgmental should clearly see the pot calling the kettle black here, and I wont be taking any personal shots at anyone, I don't need to, my post reflects what a lot of people think but just didn't say.

This guy's complaint is the equivalent of getting mad at Taco Bell because they don't build a restaurant on a dirt road in the middle of Alaska where 100 people love their food but don't have one convenient to them. It's just funny really, and a bit pitiful...but mostly funny.
    Last edited by SeanHRCC; 08-01-2013 at 09:04 AM.
    08-01-2013 07:42 AM
    Report away! I could care less if you think it was rude, or whatever "making an a$$ out of your mouth" means...you know what i find rude? Coming on here, giving a reason why you hate apple maps and then saying something like "Don't give me the same usual answers" as if people's defense of the software is some how less legitimate than your own because you live in a tiny little romanian town and you're getting all bent out of shape because Apple isn't jumping through hoops to make sure every nook and cranny is covered in your little corner of the world.

Face it folks...whether you think I'm being rude, untactful or even mean, the bottom line here is that we have a thread that should have been closed when it started because it's redundant and we already have a conversation going about this EXACT subject matter, and then we had this guy come in here and basically tell everyone that regardless of your experience with Apple maps, it's still a pile of sh*t because his little town doesn't have some local streets listed on it in the middle of nowhere.

Feel free to report it though, won't be the first time, and certainly won't be the last...I also enjoy the pot shots as well, considering I've yet to take any, it would seem those of you complaining about me being judgmental should clearly see the pot calling the kettle black here, and I wont be taking any personal shots at anyone, I don't need to, my post reflects what a lot of people think but just didn't say.

This guy's complaint is the equivalent of getting mad at Taco Bell because they don't build a restaurant on a dirt road in the middle of Alaska where 100 people love their food but don't have one convenient to them. It's just funny really, and a bit pitiful...but mostly funny.
    You got me wrong. I'm not mad at apple maps at all. I'm saying, that it's useless here. And yes, I can say this, because this is the purpose of this thread. "Why do people rag on Apple Maps?" I saw what apple maps can do in other parts of the world and I was amazed.
    I don't want to flame, but as it seems, google could build Taco Bell in Alaska. Why should i expect less from Apple?
    What surprises me is your reaction, but i don't wanna argue with you, as it seems, you can't even grasp the reason of a forum thread, the reason behind a forum post.
    Guacho and anon5664829 like this.
    08-01-2013 10:33 AM
    Both Apple Maps and Google Maps have been failing me lately. Kevin and I tried to use both to find the new Mobile Nations Montreal accessory warehouse and instead they took us to a beer company warehouse.

Now, I can't exactly complain about that, because it was a better place, but it wasn't the right place.

That said, Google did way better than Apple in Old Montreal. We were trying to find a club that's actually on a footpath to a small island in the river. Apple was nowhere near. Google was spot on, if really hard to understand. (HTF do you get to an island?)

Mapping is hard. Google has many years of experience. Apple needs to catch up.
    Guacho and anon5664829 like this.
    08-06-2013 12:47 PM
    I used Apple Maps the first 8 months and while I like Apple's interface better I ended up switching to Google as soon as it came out, based on what I use maps these are the main reasons

1) New offline maps, this is HUGE for me, I travel a lot and this is something I should use a lot.
    2) I have to use street view pretty often for my job, very good coverage by Google.
    3) I've reported around 4 map problems to google, they replied within days and 3 of them were fixed a few days later, I reported dozens of erros to Apple but never got an answer and nothing was fixed.
    4) Apple's data is good keeping in mind it's only a year old, but Google is way superior, much more detail and POI in my experience.
    08-06-2013 01:05 PM
104 1234 ...