Best and safest password manager app?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've heard good things about Dashline.

https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...3652/https://www.dashlane.com/&token=eLYOaYf-

I haven't used it yet, but I've heard good things. Maybe worth a shot.

The reviews are indeed positive, but people need to know that although the app is free in the App Store,

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dashlane-password-manager/id517914548?mt=8&at=10l3Vy

you will need the Premium version which is an "annual subscription" that gives you unlimited backup, "the ability to sync across all your devices", directly access your data on the web app and priority support if you have any questions or encounter any issues.

SOV

Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
1Password allows for iCloud and Dropbox synching as well

DataVault is so ugly and outdated looking.

SOV

Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
I suppose I'm unusual because I prefer function over form. Cute apps annoy and distract me.

1Password is very feature rich. The design is also minimalistic. There's also a desktop app, browser plugins, and awesome password generators where you can alter the recipe. One of the best features is clicking "⌘\" and your browser will automatically fill login credentials.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
1Password is very feature rich. The design is also minimalistic. There's also a desktop app, browser plugins, and awesome password generators where you can alter the recipe. One of the best features is clicking "⌘\" and your browser will automatically fill login credentials.

DataVault also has a desktop app (Windows and Mac), in addition to BB 7, BB 10, Android, and iOS, a password generator where you can alter the recipe (I like the way you phrased that), and the ability to auto login from both Windows and Mac.

dahanbn

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
At the moment I am evaluating two password managers on my iOS devices. One is of course the well-known 1Password and the other is Password Safe and Repository (https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/password-safe-and-repository/id620289174?l=de&ls=1&mt=8&at=10l3Vy).

It is very difficult to be sure how secure the apps and their password storage are. Last week I was on a German it security congress about mobile device management. During that some white hat hackers (they found various security flaws in WhatsApp last year) showed how easy it was to evaluate and to change the behavior of apps on mobile devices. They tested also various password managers and showed that some don't use any encryption at all or that the have a standard pass phrase within the app with that the data was encrypted.

From the user perspective therefore it is very difficult to evaluate and rate different apps. Every developer says it's app is safe.

Yesterday I found in an German well-respected IT magazine an article about various password managers on iOS with Mac sync.
They discovered also that some password managers are feature rich, but not all are secure. Two tested apps even saved everything unencrypted on the device. In one case the developer told them that he is planning to implement encryption in a later version. In the App Store description was the encryption as feature described. The two most used (LastPass and 1Password) have both a kind of security concern with their browser plugins. Both plugins save in a disguised way the master pass phrase of the corresponding app. They do it that the user have a better user experience. But do I really want that first?

In the case of password managers security should be the main objective. And I think it wouldn't be too much to enter your master password after each start of your browser. The magazine staff also asked AgileBits and LastPass. Only AgileBits answered them and confirmed that the disguisedly are saving the master pass phrase within their plugin. Therefore I am not sure if I really
should buy the Windows application.

On my devices 1Password is really good and nice to use. I really like their powerful InApp browser. Although I can not understand why they removed the wifi sync and force the user to sync via a public cloud. Beside the strong AES256 encryption it is a possible and unnecessary vulnerability.

The other password app PSR is only windows based and the desktop application is already in the version 7. Their background is managing licenses and passwords for businesses. Therefore they have more features than 1Password such as sealed passwords, multiuser password access, configurable templates for passwords and also support of password fill in to regular desktop apps. The iOS version is pretty new and also good to use. I can only recommend it if you only need an iOS / Windows synching solution.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
@dahanbn, I read every word in your post and I'm still confused so help me out here. What is it the primary point you want us to get from your post?

dahanbn

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
@dahanbn, I read every word in your post and I'm still confused so help me out here. What is it the primary point you want us to get from your post?

The main point that it is nearly impossible for a normal user to chose a good and secure password manager app. The user can not evaluate if an app is secure. He has to believe that the app is secure and that the developer did his job right. Also that an app is very popular is not an indicator. WhatsApp as an example is not a safe app, but it is very popular.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The main point that it is nearly impossible for a normal user to chose a good and secure password manager app. The user can not evaluate if an app is secure. He has to believe that the app is secure and that the developer did his job right. Also that an app is very popular is not an indicator. WhatsApp as an example is not a safe app, but it is very popular.

Got it. Thanks. ;)

rewNATION

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
does anyone know of any totally free password management apps? I'm talking no subscriptions, premium services, in-app purchases, etc. It seems like all the ones that say they're free really aren't, they force you to buy some annual subscription or something.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
does anyone know of any totally free password management apps? I'm talking no subscriptions, premium services, in-app purchases, etc. It seems like all the ones that say they're free really aren't, they force you to buy some annual subscription or something.

​I'm not aware of any, but I'll keep an eye out for you.

dahanbn

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I think hope isn't the best solution in encryption and password matters. Anyhow, you need a reliable source that has tested the security of these apps and their file format / encryption. Without that trust would be hard to establish. A possible solution would be to search for an open source solution and stick with that.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
There's nothing that I love more in this world than opening mobile versions of sites on my desktop... :p

(laughing)....oops, my bad...:)....Seriously, I'm rarely logged into the forums with my MacBook with the exception of morning time. After that, I'm out and about replying via my iPhone. My apologies for the mobile links...:)

clipman007

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
I started using Dashlane and liked it very much on my desktop. I then downloaded the app to my Iphone 4S. I was dissapointed because it doesn't work with auto filling passwords on any of my apps.
Does anyone know a password manager that works with the apps on the iphone?
Thanks.

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

You can check this two, no subscriptions needed.
- The Vault --> https://itunes.apple.com/co/app/vault-secure-document-data/id436982968?l=en&mt=8&at=10l3Vy

Last time I checked it was free it has some IAP but those are completely optional, not having them don't limit your ability to completely use the app. I like that this one has a very note-like appearance, the fields are not limited, you can save anything you want like pics, receipts etc.

- OneKey Pro --> https://itunes.apple.com/co/app/onekey-pro-secure-password/id599237591?l=en&mt=8&at=10l3Vy

It recently had a major upgrade, now it looks very similar to 1password (it also has a free version if you want to try it) no IAP

Both work really good.

jagfan2

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
You can check this two, no subscriptions needed.
- The Vault --> https://itunes.apple.com/co/app/vault-secure-document-data/id436982968?l=en&mt=8&at=10l3Vy

Last time I checked it was free it has some IAP but those are completely optional, not having them don't limit your ability to completely use the app. I like that this one has a very note-like appearance, the fields are not limited, you can save anything you want like pics, receipts etc.

Really impressed with The Vault. Data not stored on remote servers. Developer very customer service oriented.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I started using Dashlane and liked it very much on my desktop. I then downloaded the app to my Iphone 4S. I was dissapointed because it doesn't work with auto filling passwords on any of my apps.
Does anyone know a password manager that works with the apps on the iphone?
Thanks.

​Nothing will fill in passwords on your other apps. It's not something Apple allows.