No sound from notifications?

eastbayrae

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I have several sounds linked to notifications, such as new emails, and none of them work on my iPhone. What am I missing? I just transferred from a WP device so this is a bit new to me. I have it set up the same way as my iPad and they work fine.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have several sounds linked to notifications, such as new emails, and none of them work on my iPhone. What am I missing? I just transferred from a WP device so this is a bit new to me. I have it set up the same way as my iPad and they work fine.

Double check the basics:

1. If the sounds are custom made, make sure the length is 30 or less.
2. Re-check the sound settings.
3. Re-check the sound volume.
4. Make sure the mute switch is not on.

You can also try rebooting your device.

eastbayrae

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Double check the basics:

1. If the sounds are custom made, make sure the length is 30 or less.
2. Re-check the sound settings.
3. Re-check the sound volume.
4. Make sure the mute switch is not on.

You can also try rebooting your device.

The only thing that is there when I look at the mail section is banners and badges. When I go into mail it has a sound listed when I get new mail but none plays. I rebooted the phone and no it isn't a custom sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 while driving in reverse

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The only thing that is there when I look at the mail section is banners and badges. When I go into mail it has a sound listed when I get new mail but none plays. I rebooted the phone and no it isn't a custom sound.

To verify, when you go to Settings-Sounds and then scroll down to the Sounds and vibration pattern section, to the right of "New Mail" there is a tone listed. When you tap on the arrow and then tap on the tone that is check marked, you indeed hear the sound of the selected tone. Right?
If you are using the native mail app, also go to Settings-Notifications-Mail and then tap on each individually configured email account and make sure that there is an alert tone listed in the "New Mail Sound" section and test the sound to verify that it plays. If you are using a 3rd party app then go to Settings-Notifications and then scroll down to locate the app, tap on it and then make sure to turn ON "Sounds"

eastbayrae

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I am using the Apple mail client. There are tones listed and work when checked.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Earlier I heard the *ding* sound and thought it fixed itself. Nope, I still don't know what caused it.

If you do not have 'Alert', 'Badge' or 'Banners' checked in addition to the notification sound, you may find it difficult to know what the alert is in reference to. Check your notification bar. It may reveal what caused it.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site

When you say they're linked--where are you linking them? If you go to Settings>Notifications>Mail>YourMailAccountName>NewMailSound> what is there?
I ask because mine are all set in that location--if I just look in Settings>Sounds, my Mail sound is actually set to none, but the individual settings in the other section override that.

eastbayrae

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
If you do not have 'Alert', 'Badge' or 'Banners' checked in addition to the notification sound, you may find it difficult to know what the alert is in reference to. Check your notification bar. It may reveal what caused it.

I have all notifications turned off except mail and passbook. There was no new email when that sound went off.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have all notifications turned off except mail and passbook. There was no new email when that sound went off.

Well, from my perspective, you should "reset all settings". Go to Settings-General-Reset-Reset All Settings. If that doesn't fix the issue then you may need to connect your device to your computer and restore it as new via iTunes, but that is a last resort thing.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I should have read the manual a bit closer. I thought that switch on the side was a 'lock switch'. I flipped it up and now the sounds work, lol.
It happens....:)...I'm glad you got it figured out. Take care and enjoy your day.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen